Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Pick Two - One From Option 1 And One From Option 2

Option 1 Choice 1 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did affect my decision of which synth to buy.
15%
Option 1 Choice 2 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did not affect my decision of which synth to buy.
18%
Option 2 Choice 1 - My choice will be the synth that sounds the best.
24%
Option 2 Choice 2 - My choice will be the synth that is the cheapest.
5%
Option 2 Choice 3 - My choice will be Arturia regardless of any criteria.
8%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Obsession regardless of any criteria.
6%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Arturia and Obsession regardless of any criteria.
10%
Option 2 Choice 5 - I have no interest in this synth and will not buy either one.
14%

Total votes: 104

RELATED
PRODUCTS

ariston wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm Hey guys. What about that Reaper, eyh? Any opinions?
Why you left poll?
Left? Right.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

fuzzlightyear wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:31 pm
goldenanalog wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:05 pm Bought the V (no brainer in my mind) - imho it sounds great and has some interesting tools under the hood. I’m also planning on buying the Synapse as well, although probably will wait until it’s on sale. But honestly: I don’t consider either as capable of sonically being exact copies of the Xa - although I expect that Richards will be capable of sounding pretty darn close.

Why both? Why not? The more you play around with something like the V, the more you get to know it’s personality - which almost assuredly will be different then OBsession. There’s something very cool about Arturia/Synapse/Brainworx etc. starting with the mandate of producing a focused emulation of an Ubersynth like the Obie Xa, and then running their version in it’s own direction - by the time that they release it; it will still likely retain the characteristics of the original mandate, but it will be so stylized that it will be more about Arturia and Synapse (in this case) then about the Xa
There's really no reason not to wait until Black Friday to buy anything at a certain stage of your collecting career. Because it's really hard to beat 50% off. Which for some people means they can buy 2 for 1. :hihi:

So companies may not actually miss out on the amount of sales, but may actually miss out on 50% profit. That goes for every software company, if people have enough patience to control their gas.
:hihi: A lot of times a company will overall make more $ during an intro - my guess is that a lot of people will buy this if they haven’t already - the number of videos all of a sudden about the XaV are surprising.

As far as collecting goes: good point - maybe that’s part of the reason why someone like myself would buy both; but it’s honestly mainly about having (2) likely very different interpretations of a SEM/CEM 33XX classic - I actually played one several times back when it was sold in music stores - used to run it through a Roland tape echo - it sounded absolutely gorgeous!

Anyway: it’d be great to have both the V and the ever brilliant Richard/Synapse version in the toolbox; and I’d be willing to bet that either/or/both wind up being used in different future projects depending on the strengths that each bring to the table -
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri May 22, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:32 pm
vurt wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:10 pm you changed the poll!
When you're losing don't give up ... just change the rules :dog:
:lol:
That's kinda what I thought...

Like where has my "not interested" vote gone... aha... new game...

Not changed my mind though.

toonertik wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Option 2 Choice 5 - Not Interested.

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 pm

Funny that..
I got me glasses on and did the dirty... :tu: (voted)

BUT thanks for the help.. sometimes I need all the help I can get.. but can manage a KVR poll.. still ;)

toonertik wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 pm

Funny that..
I got me glasses on and did the dirty... :tu: (voted)

BUT thanks for the help.. sometimes I need all the help I can get.. but can manage a KVR poll.. still ;)
at your age, the only "pole" you do manage :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 pm
at your age, the only "pole" you do manage :hihi:
:oops:

and stop peeping... :P

The Arturia isn't blowing me away but I'm not sure if that's just a taste issue it's a bit smooth for me.
I'll try the Synapse as well before I buy (or don't buy) either.

Damn! It looks like one of the Immigration forms!
So, I want to vote "both" which one I tick? :help:

EnGee wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:59 pm Damn! It looks like one of the Immigration forms!
So, I want to vote "both" which one I tick? :help:
Option 2 Choice 4. Then pick either Option 1 Choice 1 or Option 1 Choice 2 to answer question if Arturia release had an effect on your decision.

Thank you 8)

goldenanalog wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:19 pm
:hihi: A lot of times a company will overall make more $ during an intro - my guess is that a lot of people will buy this if they haven’t already - the number of videos all of a sudden about the XaV are surprising.

As far as collecting goes: good point - maybe that’s part of the reason why someone like myself would buy both; but it’s honestly mainly about having (2) likely very different interpretations of a SEM/CEM 33XX classic - I actually played one several times back when it was sold in music stores - used to run it through a Roland tape echo - it sounded absolutely gorgeous!

Anyway: it’d be great to have both the V and the ever brilliant Richard/Synapse version in the toolbox; and I’d be willing to bet that either/or/both wind up being used in different future projects depending on the strengths that each bring to the table -
Yeah, nostalgia and gas can be expensive dates, but marrying both sounds like trouble. :hihi:
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

I've only tried Arturia OB-Xa V for 40 minutes. It looks very nice. I've only tried ~50 presets so far. Some nice sounds. I hadn't known about a Synapse OB until I saw this thread; looking forward to trying that. I think Dune 3 is great, though I much prefer Diva to Legend. Amazed Arturia did not come out with this several years ago. I've owned Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II for a few years now: so far I think it is the Oberheim clone to beat sound-wise; though it's patch management set-up is antiquated, and some of the text on the gui isn't easy to read. The "Jump" patch on OP-X Pro II is way better than the Arturia, IMHO. If I can go from V-Collection 6 to 8 for less than $100US, that's probably what I'll wait for.............hey, I just checked My Arturia! V-Collection 7 and OB-Xa V for $149. Not a bad deal.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

I liked this mini review + sound demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rahK-buOlhc

It highlights the best of it IMO. I mean for the current VC owners, the upgrade price is a no brainer! Now for $99, I don't know especially if an intro price (just a guess) for SA one is the same. For me, I've got it like for the upgrade price :D and if the coming Messiah's intro price is $99, I will buy it mostly :)

fuzzlightyear wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:15 am
goldenanalog wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:19 pm

Yeah, nostalgia and gas can be expensive dates, but marrying both sounds like trouble. :hihi:
:hihi: sounds like what come out of an OBXA could be definitely argued as nostalgic - but are they really? we may be talking about what’s fashionable more then anything else.

A few instruments in keyboard land that have stood the test of time consistently: Hammond (which now can run on an iPad :hihi: ) and piano would be my (2) top picks - almost everything else has come/gone/and maybe come back around again (Mellotron?) As an example: many of us in the early 80’s thought that all these wonderful analog synths were going to be gone for good (enter the Yamaha DX-7) - and then maybe 20 years ago they came back from the dead - with a vengeance! To give you an idea of just how dead analog was: about maybe 25 years ago now I traded a pair of Yamaha powered speakers for an Oberheim 4-voice!

I look at synth/keyboard sounds (and to a degree: the synths themselves) like I look at paint: many different colors - some subtlety different - and color combinations, like synth combinations, that are subject to coming and going with what’s fashionable.

Return to “Instruments”