Sharing Data/Variables/Functions Between scripts?

hydrogxn
KVRist
63 posts since 12 Dec, 2007 from Fort Bragg, CA

Post Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Is it possible to share data either variables or functions between scripts? like one instance of a script calling another? or leaving data between them somehow in some sort of global object?

I'm wanting one controller to affect the state of another.... like one controller to change track selection and another to adjust the parameters.

Is my best bet to make a mega script with all of my controllers in one? Could seem unweildly.

I could also see some hacks/workaround using bomes midi translater to pass certain events thru to the different scripts but this would be dire extremes.
---------------------------------------------------------------
http://kirkwoodwest.com/

hydrogxn
KVRist

Re: Sharing Data/Variables/Functions Between scripts?

Post Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:30 pm

hydrogxn wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:30 pm
Is it possible to share data either variables or functions between scripts? like one instance of a script calling another? or leaving data between them somehow in some sort of global object?

I'm wanting one controller to affect the state of another.... like one controller to change track selection and another to adjust the parameters.

Is my best bet to make a mega script with all of my controllers in one? Could seem unweildly.

I could also see some hacks/workaround using bomes midi translater to pass certain events thru to the different scripts but this would be dire extremes of wanting to use individual scripts...

moss
KVRAF
2066 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Scripts / Extensions are separated but you can use any kind of inter-process communication. Supported by the API you get UDP and OSC. Especially, if you use Java there are plenty of additional options.

hydrogxn
KVRist

Post Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:48 pm

got it. what would you suggest if you went the java route?

I'm currently prototyping a lot of my controller scripts in .js and will migrate to java eventually.

moss
KVRAF
2066 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:13 am

This depends on what you are trying to achieve.

hydrogxn
KVRist

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am

what im wanting is to call a function directly in each script lol. :) :) but i think with the .js includes and some customization ill be able to have some sort of roundabout osc thing so they can all talk to each other...

im gonna attempt something where one script talks to many others to do something.

one thing i cant wrap my head around is how to make each instance of a controller script to use a different port. i think that will be necessary somehow.

vadimred13
KVRer
2 posts since 21 Apr, 2020

Post Mon May 04, 2020 10:15 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
You can use Node.js to set up a local server and each of your scripts can be a client. You should be able to get 2 way communication going. You'll have to download node.js (https://nodejs.org/en/download (https://nodejs.org/en/download))

logsrv.node.js - this will be the server. you can run it using "node logsrv.node.js" in the command prompt, or as a windows service

Code: Select all (#)

var net = require('net');
var fs = require('fs');
function str2ab(str) {
  var buf = new ArrayBuffer(str.length + 4); // 1 byte for each char
  var bufView = new Uint8Array(buf);

bufView[3] = str.length;

for (var i=4, strLen=str.length; i < strLen+4; i++) {
    bufView[i] = str.charCodeAt(i-4);
  }
  return bufView;
}

// Create our socket
var server = net.createServer(
  function (socket) {

// Callback when data is received
	socket.on('data', function(data) 
	{
		var messagetxt = "";

// Convert bytes to string		
		for(var i = 0; i < data.length; i++) 
		{
			messagetxt += String.fromCharCode(data[i]);
		}

// Print message to console
		console.log(messagetxt);
		socket.write(Uint8Array.from(str2ab("Hello client")));
		socket.pipe(socket);
	});
  }
);

// Start server
console.log("Listening on 127.0.0.1:58000 ...");
server.listen(58000, '127.0.0.1');

In your controller script, add this in init():

socket = host.createRemoteConnection("BitwigNodeService", 58000);
host.connectToRemoteHost('127.0.0.1', 58000, function(conn) 
{
	if (typeof this.remoteConnection === 'undefined') 
	{
		this.remoteConnection = conn;
	}

this.remoteConnection.setReceiveCallback(remoteReceiveCallback);
});
and add these 2 functions:

function remoteReceiveCallback( data )
{
	println(bin2String(data));
}

function bin2String(array) 
{
	var result = "";
	for (var i = 0; i < array.length; i++) 
	{
		result += String.fromCharCode(array[i]);
	}
	return result;
}
to send a message to the server, use:

var messagetxt = "Hello server";
this.remoteConnection.send(messagetxt.getBytes());
So using this example, as soon as the client (your controller script) sends "Hello server" on port 58000 to the server, the server will reply with "Hello client".

Sam_K
KVRer
12 posts since 7 Apr, 2010 from Newcastle, Australia

Post Fri May 22, 2020 10:22 pm

@vadmired13 That is amazing! Thank you so much for this example! :D

] Peter:H [
KVRian
1038 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:20 am

Hm, just a complete noob to Bitwig Programming but with a solid Java Knowhow...
I think the possibility of Inter-Script communication should be built into the platform itself.
Thinking about simple version of OSGI here. OSGI is the framework for instance eclipse IDE of various application servers are built on top. OSGI is built with the idea of extensibility, it's extensible with plug-ins, yet shields plug-ins which are only exposing API objects to each other.
In OSGI you have extensions that ...
  • ...implement and provide interfaces ... just in Pseudo-Code for your intuition Bundle.getContext().publish("myInterface", implObj)
  • ...require interface theService = Bundle.getContext().getImpl("myInterface")
Yes, I know, this is simplified, but that's for the sake of providing the idea.

If you think about that, even Bitwig itself could expose it's APIs through this mechanism.

Not saying that it has to be OSGI, but there are other examples like for instance the Android platform which comes with similar mechanismas. Please don't get me wrong - I don't say implement this or that, I'm just giving examples for "platfrom concepts" people/programmers might know and which have proven usefull... Bitwig never need to become a full blown android, but could "borrow" some concepts ;-)

Anyway... just 2cents of a old Java Guy.

outterback
KVRer
14 posts since 17 Oct, 2017

Post Sat May 23, 2020 8:36 am

I did this between a bitwig controller script and python using Py4j: https://github.com/outterback/bitwig-py ... /README.md

Which I believe works over tcp. I used it to have access to clips, tracks, and notes from a python console just to prototype some stuff. It worked surprisingly well! The code is very simple if you want to take a look at it.

Return to “Controller Scripting”