2093 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 am

Vortifex wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:52 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:45 am
Vortifex wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:23 am
Discovered something odd when I export audio from OB-Xa V in FL Studio. The first example was recorded manually in Edison, and sounds like it's supposed to sound:

https://soundcloud.com/widowcrypt/ob-xa-v-edison

Now listen to the exported version (this one's not embedding for some reason?):

https://soundcloud.com/widowcrypt/ob-xa-v-export

It alters the sound. I wonder if that's an FL issue or an OB-Xa V issue? I've never noticed it with anything else in FL Studio before.
I am sure you would have double checked your render settings?
Of course. There is no reason that I can see for the difference in sound.
That's strange. I am using the demo version, but if you can tell me the exact patch, I can try to check. Looks like modified "Stabbed In The Back" preset?
Never imagined we would get to play with toys in adulthood. :)

Vortifex
KVRAF
1850 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Fri May 22, 2020 5:01 am

It's a patch I made myself with these settings (unison set at 2):

https://i.postimg.cc/28YQ8HK3/obpatch.png

LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
2093 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Fri May 22, 2020 5:17 am

Thanks, nice patch. Quickly tested it here, but I don't hear any differences.
Never imagined we would get to play with toys in adulthood. :)

EnGee
KVRAF
6126 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Fri May 22, 2020 6:38 am

wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:23 am
EnGee wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 am
fmr wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 am
AnX wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:03 am
EnGee wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:48 am

The Vintage Factory presets are rubbish! If that is indication of how good it is this emulation, then IMO it fails...
well, if they have copied the factory sounds from the manual, they will be, most of those are very basic and don't really show off the synths potential.

best to look at those kinda sounds as starting points :wink:
^^^ THIS ^^^

And keep in mind those were the kind of sounds people would look for in the 80s. They differ substantially from the kind of sounds people are used to nowadays.
Really? We were that bad?! :hihi:
Yes, we were that "bad". Remember when Lucky Man came out and we thought that Moog Modular solo was so cool? We cringe when we hear it now. Even Keith Emerson commented on how much he hated it.
You are talking 70's now! I was still in the kindergarten then!
Anyway, I don't think it was that bad at all. I still listen to Ultravox songs today and the OB sounds amazing in their songs.
Win 10 with Live 10 (or S1 v4) and ATOM/nektar P4 these days 8)

chk071
KVRAF
24026 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 pm

Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

wagtunes
KVRAF
19077 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri May 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Well, that clinches it for me. Didn't have to go beyond the resonance patch. Arturia falls apart completely.

So I guess the sale doesn't matter anymore. I'll wait for Obsession, see if it's any better (hopefully it will be) and if it is, will get that. If not, will get neither. Don't need an OB that badly.

Wow, that was bad.

EnGee
KVRAF
6126 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Fri May 22, 2020 3:28 pm

There are some differences, but I actually still think that Arturia did a good job! When you browse the non original patches, you feel it a very good synth.

Anyway, I will be glad to have the SA as well because as I thought they won't overlap just like the Legend and Mini V. Both have their uses ;)
Win 10 with Live 10 (or S1 v4) and ATOM/nektar P4 these days 8)

chk071
KVRAF

Post Fri May 22, 2020 3:30 pm

I also think the Arturia does a good job. As wagtunes wrote, there are differences in the details when he's cranking up the resonance. But, for the rest, I was actually quite positively surprised how well the Arturia matches the OB-6.

onerob
KVRist
413 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Post Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Not to mention the OB-6 does not replicate the original OBXa's sound exactly, so the Arturia won't match it either.

Niowiad
KVRian
606 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Post Fri May 22, 2020 11:45 pm

There are clear differences (and different architectures) but it held up much better than I would have thought. The X-MOD also sounded nice in my opinion.

Comparisons with Obsession and possibly an actual OB-Xa unit will sure be interesting.

Examigan
KVRAF
5230 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 am

My version of one of the synth sounds in Tom Sawyer. I made the MP3 downloadable as SoundCloud always messes up the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/sawyer-was-here

SamDi
KVRist
83 posts since 27 Apr, 2018

Post Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:03 pm
Arturia falls apart completely.
I do not think so:
  1. Are you sure, when you would have heard both synths in a blind test, you could really say, which one was the original and thus the "better"? For me no one sounded worse in the video - rather different.
  2. Analog synths tend to have differences, even between different devices. Who knows, how far Arturia's model is from that original synth they used?
  3. Yes, there are some differences, but I don't think they are THAT big. For the resonance example it looked like Arturia is loosing some spectral energy in the high-end. Could be fixed with EQing or other measurements. In a qualitative manner they sounded in a very similar kind to me.
  4. As I tend to say: When someones tracks and sounds are shitty it mostly not on the synths.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Sat May 23, 2020 12:34 pm

Examigan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 am
My version of one of the synth sounds in Tom Sawyer. I made the MP3 downloadable as SoundCloud always messes up the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/sawyer-was-here
Talking about that Tom Sawyer sound: Did Rush do anything further to the sound in the original track? It almost sounds as if there was something FM-ish going on on the filter. It's also much more resonant than your example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLBLk4ibAk

I hear the same kind of filter FM-ish sound here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOU9CyWIh0

wagtunes
KVRAF
19077 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat May 23, 2020 12:43 pm

SamDi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:03 pm
Arturia falls apart completely.
I do not think so:
  1. Are you sure, when you would have heard both synths in a blind test, you could really say, which one was the original and thus the "better"? For me no one sounded worse in the video - rather different.
  2. Analog synths tend to have differences, even between different devices. Who knows, how far Arturia's model is from that original synth they used?
  3. Yes, there are some differences, but I don't think they are THAT big. For the resonance example it looked like Arturia is loosing some spectral energy in the high-end. Could be fixed with EQing or other measurements. In a qualitative manner they sounded in a very similar kind to me.
  4. As I tend to say: When someones tracks and sounds are shitty it mostly not on the synths.
Here's the bottom line for me. When I buy a synth for the purpose of getting an emulation, I want it to be as close to the hardware as possible. If it's not, I'm not interested, especially when I have so many synths to begin with. I can afford to be picky.

Arturia falls short for me. That's all that matters to ME.

Calenberger
KVRian
1362 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Post Sat May 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Why is this thread crowded with guys who (besides being beta testers for a competing product) dislike the Arturia synth?
Just asking!
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, kanntu meine musi hoeren da:
https://sonoryth.bandcamp.com/
Signature Sound

Return to “Instruments”