Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OP-Xa V

TheMaestro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:50 pm
Calenberger wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 pm Why is this thread crowded with guys who (besides being beta testers for a competing product) dislike the Arturia synth?
Just asking!
Because Arturia’s resonance doesn’t scream like a bitch, and they think the other one will.
Actually, the OB-Xa's resonance doesn't scream "like a bitch", so, it would be quite a disaster if the Synapse emu did.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:52 pm
Calenberger wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 pm Why is this thread crowded with guys who (besides being beta testers for a competing product) dislike the Arturia synth?
Just asking!
Because Arturia’s resonance doesn’t scream like a bitch, and they think the other one will.
Actually, I don't know if the other one will or not. But if it doesn't, I won't be getting that one either. Like I said, with over 100 VSTs, I don't need another synth. So this one will have to blow me away in every area in order for me to get it.
No one asked.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

TheMaestro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:54 pm
Just asking!
Actually, I don't know if the other one will or not. But if it doesn't, I won't be getting that one either. Like I said, with over 100 VSTs, I don't need another synth. So this one will have to blow me away in every area in order for me to get it.
No one asked.
No one has to ask. This is a public thread and anybody can post whatever they like in it as long as they conform to the forum rules.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:56 pm
Just asking!
No one asked.
No one has to ask. This is a public thread and anybody can post whatever they like in it as long as they conform to the forum rules.
Exactly. That's what I did.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

TheMaestro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:02 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:56 pm
Just asking!
No one asked.
Exactly. That's what I did.
And that's what I did. So everything is cool.

When will you marry?

Calenberger wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:05 pm When will you marry?
I'm already married 35 years thank you.

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 pm
Well, that clinches it for me. Didn't have to go beyond the resonance patch. Arturia falls apart completely.

So I guess the sale doesn't matter anymore. I'll wait for Obsession, see if it's any better (hopefully it will be) and if it is, will get that. If not, will get neither. Don't need an OB that badly.

Wow, that was bad.
So, I guess that, if they compared with with the Memorymoog, it would fail too.

Just in case you missed it - this is an emulation of the OB-Xa, NOT the OB 6. What's the point of that comparison? Is it because both have stripes? :hihi:

But if you are in the market for high resonant synths, I believe you already have better ones in your collection. Don't need to wait for an OB-Xa emulation, which, if done right, will not be "THAT" resonant, anyway.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 pm
Well, that clinches it for me. Didn't have to go beyond the resonance patch. Arturia falls apart completely.

So I guess the sale doesn't matter anymore. I'll wait for Obsession, see if it's any better (hopefully it will be) and if it is, will get that. If not, will get neither. Don't need an OB that badly.

Wow, that was bad.
So, I guess that, if they compared with with the Memorymoog, it would fail too.

Just in case you missed it - this is an emulation of the OB-Xa, NOT the OB 6. What's the point of that comparison? Is it because both have stripes? :hihi:

But if you are in the market for high resonant synths, I believe you already have better ones in your collection. Don't need to wait for an OB-Xa emulation, which, if done right, will not be "THAT" resonant, anyway.
I'm curious. What are these "better" synths in my collection that also have that Oberheim character?

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:09 pm I'm curious. What are these "better" synths in my collection that also have that Oberheim character?
You have to decide if you want have "that Oberheim character" or you want to have a highly resonant synth. Because "that Oberheim character" isn't highly resonant. As someone wrote, "it doesn't scream". It's more "cream" than "scream".
Last edited by fmr on Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

The difference is that the Memorymoog is a completely different synth, while the OB-6 was clearly inspired by the OB-X/OB-Xa in terms of the synth's design. I don't think it's apples and oranges to compare them, the similarities are very apparent when you watched the video. Maybe a case of apples and pears because, they're definitely related.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:43 pm
SamDi wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:27 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 pm Arturia falls apart completely.
I do not think so:
  1. [...]
  2. Analog synths tend to have differences, even between different devices. Who knows, how far Arturia's model is from that original synth they used? [...]
Here's the bottom line for me. When I buy a synth for the purpose of getting an emulation, I want it to be as close to the hardware as possible. If it's not, I'm not interested, especially when I have so many synths to begin with. I can afford to be picky.

Arturia falls short for me. That's all that matters to ME.
So which hardware do you want it to be as close as possible to? A random synth that shows up in some YouTube video? As SamDi has noted even in two hardware synths there might be differences.

The reason is that electronic components like for example resistors have tolerances. So even if the schematic for a synth states that for example a resistor should be 100K Ohms then the actual resistor might be let's say 95K Ohms. If that resistor is used in a filter as part of an RC circuit then the cutoff points will be different and the filter will behave differently.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Just like to say that I really like the Arturia emulation, not that my opinion means anything. Was playing around with the original presets and they seemed very recognisable to me, although I was playing them through ValhallaDSP's new Supermassive reverb.

In a mix, I don't think I would know what was real or emulation, but maybe there are people with superhero powers who can.
<List your stupid gear here>

The irony is that some guys who acually hate the Arturia synth bring this thread over and over again to the top of the list due to their insisting postings...
Well done! :tu:

chk071 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:12 pm Maybe a case of apples and pears because, they're definitely related.
I used an hyperbole but still, an apple is an apple, aan a pear is a pear. Apples and pears may be somehow related, but they still have noticeable differences.

I bet that if he had an OB-Xa and the OB 6 side by side, they would sound quite different as well. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”