Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

Teksonik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:18 pm Ok will do let me tweak them a bit. I usually tag my patches like this: "Syn Bass 01 Tek" that way it doesn't make the patch name too long. Would you like the brackets around [Tek] ? :D
Yes "Syn Bass [Tek]" would be the preferred name here. Maybe to everyone who will still submit patches: Please follow this naming convention:

Descriptive Name [Your Hopefully Not So Long Name].odin :wink:

Edit: The name is optional of course!

Notice the white spaces instead of underscores, every word starts with caps.
And pleasepleaseplease don't name them "lead01.odin". I have around 500 patches now, half of which have no usable name. I will have to have a really long cretive session coming up with names for these patches before release :ud:

Anyway I can fix the naming conventions to make them consistent myself, but I won't complaint if they come in the right convention.
tomx2188 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:25 am It also looks like the envelopes always go back to the attack stage when playing a new note?
Would be cool if one could toggle the behavior on each envelope, so that they stay in their current stage when playing legato notes, and only go back to attack stage when there's a gap between notes.
Yes envelopes do a "soft reset" in legato, meaning they start the attack with their current value.
Your suggestion sounds like a good candidate for the planned envelope editor! :-)
Last edited by TheWaveWarden on Sun May 24, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:05 pm Maybe to everyone who will still submit patches: Please follow this naming convention:

I haven't put my name to the patches I have sent you. If you like I can send you renamed versions. I have them all in one folder now so it won't be too difficult.

Erisian wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:14 pm
TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:05 pm Maybe to everyone who will still submit patches: Please follow this naming convention:

I haven't put my name to the patches I have sent you. If you like I can send you renamed versions. I have them all in one folder now so it won't be too difficult.
It is not important to me. You can leave the name out or put it in - your choice.
You can send them to me, although I'll have to sort them manually since I already categorized all patches

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:05 pm
And pleasepleaseplease don't name them "lead01.odin". I have around 500 patches now, half of which have no usable name. I will have to have a really long cretive session coming up with names for these patches before release :ud:
Sometimes it's harder to come up with a name for a patch than it was to come up with the patch. :P

"Usable Name" can be subjective. For example "Crazy Lead" isn't really descriptive since a crazy sound can mean different things to different people.

Anyway I'll try to come up with some names that can differentiate my patches from those made by others.

Would it help to have category prefixes like BAS Moog Bass [Tek] or LED Crazy Lead [Tek] ?

That way they auto sort in a list. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm Sometimes it's harder to come up with a name for a patch than it was to come up with the patch. :P
Image being in my shoes and having to name 200 of those :D
Teksonik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm "Usable Name" can be subjective. For example "Crazy Lead" isn't really descriptive since a crazy sound can mean different things to different people.

Anyway I'll try to come up with some names that can differentiate my patches from those made by others.

Would it help to have category prefixes like BAS Moog Bass [Tek] or LED Crazy Lead [Tek] ?

That way they auto sort in a list. :)
Yeah if the patch is usefull or not is up to the end user. I just want to evoke a feeling of quality with the factory preset library, so I cant name them arp1, arp1b, ARP1_SICK_FAST, arp2a ... you get the point :wink: I just want them to have a distinct name which follows a basic pattern. Some of them are named "Antarctic" or "Sawmill", which is fine. It doesn't have to be an artistic or a descriptive name either. Just not "arp1" :D

The prefixes will be helpfull to me in categorizing them, yes! I am right now working on a preset browser which features soundbanks, which contain categories, which contain patches.

I will remove the prefix after sorting them, though. Anyway it would help, yes! I am pretty sure I miscategorized 300 of those patches :D It's really up for debate what kind of sound it was meant to be if you only get the patch.

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:07 pm
Erisian wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:14 pm

It is not important to me. You can leave the name out or put it in - your choice.
You can send them to me, although I'll have to sort them manually since I already categorized all patches
OK It's not important to me either. You can use them as they are.

Oatmeal and Autogun synths auto generate interesting(?!) patch names :)

I called one of mine "The Forests Of Gebel-Minor," inspired by The Ozric Tentacles but I managed a more descriptive name for most of them. I don't know how many people would agree with the descriptions though. :hihi:

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:37 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm Sometimes it's harder to come up with a name for a patch than it was to come up with the patch. :P
Image being in my shoes and having to name 200 of those :D
I feel your pain since for every synth I've owned for any period of time I've done hundreds of patches for them. I run out of descriptive names long before I run out of ideas for patches. :hihi:
TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:37 pmThe prefixes will be helpfull to me in categorizing them, yes! I am right now working on a preset browser which features soundbanks, which contain categories, which contain patches.

I will remove the prefix after sorting them, though.
Hmmm then it would probably be easier for us to send them to you in category sub-folders rather than add the prefix if you're just going to remove them.

It's good news that you're working on a preset browser since I noticed that when trying to rename my patches that only about 13 characters are visible in the current patch name window. Adding the author tag even a short one like [Tek] doesn't leave much room for a readable name. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I once made a Max patch to generate patch names, inspired by the Kyma patch name generator. I could search for it and share it if someone wants it... You don't have to own Max to run it btw...

Sure I'd give it a go. :)

Here you go: Its basically the help patch for an abstraction I made for this. Which is part of my St.ools library for Max.
Its attached as collective to avoid dependency problems. If you install Max 8, it should run within that. As mentioned there is no need to buy Max... Maybe I should start a Live demo and create a M4L device...???
If you are curious you can get my St.ools here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tch77z8yx3n1 ... 7.zip?dl=0
Its a version for Max 7, which does have the Preset name patcher. The Max 8 version I still have to streamline and prepare for the Max Package Manager...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorry I read "You don't have to own Max to run it" to mean I wouldn't need Max at all.

I don't use Max for Live so I'll have to pass. Thanks anyway. :tu:

Oh and back on the subject of Odin 2....is it me or does the Ping Pong setting in Delay not work ?

For finding a name it doesn‘t need to be running within the DAW. If you are on Mac, I could create a standalone... - But to be honest, its easier to download Max and just run the patch...

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 pm ...
Oh and back on the subject of Odin 2....is it me or does the Ping Pong setting in Delay not work ?
Oh, it does. But not in the way we would expected. You have to turn the pan-pot for the whole sound to left or right position. Then you hear the delays in stereo. As long as the pan is centered, the delays are also centered.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Return to “Instruments”