DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Last edited by fachidiot leo on Sun May 24, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fachidiot leo wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am hi, ich glaub zwar das du deutsch sprichst, aber ich schreibe mal auf engl.

first of all: thank your for the amazing progress you have made with the script.

1. question: how is it possible to run the Apc40 along with other usb class complient controllers like the arturia spark (first version)
As soon as I connect the arturia spark controller to the host software (vst), the akai apc 40 freezes and looses connection, or my Midi In is not working anymore.

i coult buy a midi interface, but I dont know if the akai apc 40 will have issues with the midi interface as well.

2. I want to ask you if it is possible to create subdirectories for this thread, because it is really hard to find a related poast, that serves your question. currently there are 130 pages of discussion.

leo!
i figured it out myself, its a generall issue with the spark controler. you have to deactivate the controller midi input when connecting. afterwards you can activate the midi in again. otherwise bitwig is completely screwed.

But anyway, sometimes I am experiencing laggs with the apc40. for example when i switch from scene launch to sequencer. is this usual? or does it may be caused by my other controllers?

leo

fachidiot leo wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am 1. question: how is it possible to run the Apc40 along with other usb class complient controllers like the arturia spark (first version)
As soon as I connect the arturia spark controller to the host software (vst), the akai apc 40 freezes and looses connection, or my Midi In is not working anymore.
The fun of USB. Try different ports, different cables and an USB hub (or a different one if you have already one).
fachidiot leo wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am 2. I want to ask you if it is possible to create subdirectories for this thread, because it is really hard to find a related poast, that serves your question. currently there are 130 pages of discussion.
I had it in the past but that is much more work for me to track.

thank you anyway, I really apreciate your work! and I guess the apc script is not the first script you created from wich I have benefitted from! keep on rockin!
Last edited by fachidiot leo on Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moss wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:51 pm
fachidiot leo wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am 1. question: how is it possible to run the Apc40 along with other usb class complient controllers like the arturia spark (first version)
The fun of USB. Try different ports, different cables and an USB hub (or a different one if you have already one).
fachidiot leo wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am 2. I want to ask you if it is possible to create subdirectories for this thread, because it is really hard to find a related poast, that serves your question. currently there are 130 pages of discussion.
I had it in the past but that is much more work for me to track.
das problem ist eher das die usb geräte verwechselt werden, weil die beide zusammen auf WDM (Windows Driver Model) zugreifen. what ever.. 4 schritte beim connecten(jedes mal beim DAW starten) sind zwar hart und live kann man das komplett vergessen, aber fürs studio geht das erstmal...

Eigentlich schaade.... weil du ja echt das letzte aus dem ding rausgeholt hast!

vg leo

I have some questions to the 9.00 Beta 5 Extensions with Bitwig 3.2 Beta 6 and the manual for the Ableton Push 2 Controller
Global Features
Page 10
• Convert (Push 2) - Brings up the Slice to Drum Machine dialog.
• Shift+Convert (Push 2) - Bring up the Slice to Multi-sample dialog.
That doesn't work here. When I press those combinations, nothing happens.
Page 11
• Shift+Track - Turn off/on VU meters.
Is this just Push 1 ? Because I can't figure it out, where this is on the Push 2

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 am I have some questions to the 9.00 Beta 5 Extensions with Bitwig 3.2 Beta 6 and the manual for the Ableton Push 2 Controller
Global Features
Page 10
• Convert (Push 2) - Brings up the Slice to Drum Machine dialog.
• Shift+Convert (Push 2) - Bring up the Slice to Multi-sample dialog.
That doesn't work here. When I press those combinations, nothing happens.
It only works if an Audio clip is selected.
OdoSendaidokai wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 am
Page 11
• Shift+Track - Turn off/on VU meters.
Is this just Push 1 ? Because I can't figure it out, where this is on the Push 2
It is Shift+Mix.

Hmmm both doesn't work here. But I also noticed some problems with not working velocity. Accent or no Accent didn't make a difference,regardless how soft or hard i press a pad.
Maybe it is Beta related. Think I reinstall Bitwig again. Maybe it is working then.

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:45 pm Hmmm both doesn't work here. But I also noticed some problems with not working velocity. Accent or no Accent didn't make a difference,regardless how soft or hard i press a pad.
Maybe it is Beta related. Think I reinstall Bitwig again. Maybe it is working then.
Just tested with the Beta(s) and cannot reproduce any of the issues.

moss wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:10 pm
OdoSendaidokai wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:45 pm Hmmm both doesn't work here. But I also noticed some problems with not working velocity. Accent or no Accent didn't make a difference,regardless how soft or hard i press a pad.
Just tested with the Beta(s) and cannot reproduce any of the issues.
I reinstalled Bitwig. but the same behavior. So I tried to assign it via Settings -> Shortcuts -> Controller ...
... and it seems I can't use a combination of Shift + another Knob like Shift + Convert or Shift + Mix

I only can assign only 1 knob at a time.

Hi Moss,

I found an issue working with Output Arcade in combination with the Push2 script.

When the script is enabled, it takes about 3 seconds to re-select a channel or a clip on a channel with an instance of Arcade loaded.

I've checked different computers, DAWs and eliminated it to the DrivenByMoss script.

When I disable the script in the settings it works without a hiccup and instantly focuses on the channel with Arcade loaded. I've also checked wether it makes a difference if ports are connected or if the Push2 is on or off and I can report this does not make any difference. Also I have only 4 macros mapped to the Push and tried to delete those remote controls/pages, without any result.

One thing that does stand out is the amount of parameters this plugin has. About 4000(!), however like I said I've only mapped 4 of those to the Push2.

Could this be related? And if so, is there a way to limit how the script looks up all parameters of a plugin (if it does that)?

I use Arcade a lot and as such it's almost impossible to work like this as I end up most of the time waiting. It would be awesome if you could have a look.

Many thanks.

Raffi wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:09 am Hi Moss,

I found an issue working with Output Arcade in combination with the Push2 script.

When the script is enabled, it takes about 3 seconds to re-select a channel or a clip on a channel with an instance of Arcade loaded.

I've checked different computers, DAWs and eliminated it to the DrivenByMoss script.

When I disable the script in the settings it works without a hiccup and instantly focuses on the channel with Arcade loaded. I've also checked wether it makes a difference if ports are connected or if the Push2 is on or off and I can report this does not make any difference. Also I have only 4 macros mapped to the Push and tried to delete those remote controls/pages, without any result.

One thing that does stand out is the amount of parameters this plugin has. About 4000(!), however like I said I've only mapped 4 of those to the Push2.

Could this be related? And if so, is there a way to limit how the script looks up all parameters of a plugin (if it does that)?

I use Arcade a lot and as such it's almost impossible to work like this as I end up most of the time waiting. It would be awesome if you could have a look.

Many thanks.
I am afraid that is something that the Bitwig team needs to investigate. DrivenByMoss does not query 4000 parameters but only monitors the current remote control page.
Please report to Bitwig.

Thanks - just reported.

Hey moss!

I helped out with the documentation putting together the Launchpad X diagram stuff last month.

I was poking around on reddit and spoke with someone who asked if there were any plans to make more diagrams for other controllers, specifically the Push and Push 2.

I figured I'd go ahead and ask here to see how much interest there is in getting more coverage for visual diagrams on the documentation/wiki. I'm happy to draw up more diagrams, but there's a bit of a barrier to me doing diagrams for hardware I don't actually own, so I'm curious if there might be any other users in here with a Push or Push 2 who might want to collaborate on getting more diagrams drawn up! I have all of the assets from my Launchpad diagrams available and can draw up some Push/Push 2 specific ones templates if the level of interest is there among users. I think the main thing I would need is for someone to go through and help label the diagrams for each page/scene/mode. The design tool I use has a Google Docs-like live collaboration mode, so the person with the hardware could probably work with me on a video call or something, or if they feel design saavy enough even just take it and run and then I can provide feedback.

Thanks again for all the hard work on the scripts!

Edit: the same is true for other hardware supported by DrivenByMoss - if anyone has a strong desire to see their particular controller documented with diagrams let me know and I'll try my best to help out.

porkloin wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:37 pm Hey moss!

I helped out with the documentation putting together the Launchpad X diagram stuff last month.

I was poking around on reddit and spoke with someone who asked if there were any plans to make more diagrams for other controllers, specifically the Push and Push 2.
Thanks for making this offer! Another question is how to keep them up-to-date. I guess a first start is not that much work but they also need to be updated when I make changes (could be weekly). E.g. the Launchpads images soon need some changes.

If you want to do more without the device, note that there is now a simulator for all my supported devices. Watch this video to learn how to unlock this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq502djb_zQ

Return to “Controller Scripting”