[for Reason users] May Madness sale is on, what have you bought / buying? :)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

quincy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:35 am...perhaps, there will be new content/devices added in the future that will be free for Suite owners but paid-for additions for other tiers.
No.

This was pretty much denied by Reason representatives. I mean perhaps there will be 2 SKUs going forward (Standard and Suite), but it was denied there will be new stuff added to Suite only and for free. The value of Suite is that you are getting most (16, I believe?) Propellerhead-developed REs for 25-ish EUR a pop, whereas standalone they cost 50-100EUR and that was - and still is - very appealing reason for someone who was interested in buying (or upgrading) Reason to use in other DAWs.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Tue May 26, 2020 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by goldenanalog on Tue May 26, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by goldenanalog on Tue May 26, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:58 am
quincy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:35 am...perhaps, there will be new content/devices added in the future that will be free for Suite owners but paid-for additions for other tiers.
No.

This was pretty much denied by Reason representatives. I mean perhaps there will be 2 SKUs going forward (Standard and Suite), but it was denied there will be new stuff added to Suite only and for free. The value of Suite is that you are getting most (16, I believe?) Propellerhead-developed REs for 25-ish EUR a pop, whereas standalone they cost 50-100EUR and that was - and still is - very appealing reason for someone who was interested in buying (or upgrading) Reason to use in other DAWs.
Fair enough. It doesn't bother me either way, I'm one of these people that buys something for the value I get at that point. I paid £150-ish for the Suite 11 upgrade at JRR and I got the ability to use the VST and all those REs and native devices in Bitwig. With the RE I already owned it was unlocking loads of value (Expanse, Fritz, Antidote, ReSpire among many others) and the new stuff I've now got is solid too. I think Complex-1 is really something special, it sounds lovely and it feels like it's been carefully designed to hit a sweet spot of usability and authentic west-coast sound. I also quite like Scenic as a simple but usable granular synth.

quincy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:40 amFair enough. It doesn't bother me either way, I'm one of these people that buys something for the value I get at that point.
Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that. I only was trying to reply your question. Suite is an awesome package, unless - like me - you had 10 of the 16REs already and wanted just 2 of the "missing" 6 when it came out :(
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:55 am
quincy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:40 amFair enough. It doesn't bother me either way, I'm one of these people that buys something for the value I get at that point.
Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that. I only was trying to reply your question. Suite is an awesome package, unless - like me - you had 10 of the 16REs already and wanted just 2 of the "missing" 6 when it came out :(
Oh yeah I know you weren't implying anything, crossed wires! I did the maths on the upgrade and I figured that it would cost me £69 at a minimum to get the Intro version so I can use the VST or maybe a bit less if I bought second-hand. But if I do that, I lose access to many of the native devices like Grain, Maelstrom and others that are only included from Standard version and upwards. So basically for the other £80 difference to get to £150 upgrade price I get all the "base" Reason devices plus Complex-1, Scenic, Layers, Umpf Drums etc and crucially all the interesting player devices which I really enjoy. Quad Note Generator, Beat Map and PolyStep Sequencer are all great.

Frankly, I almost certainly won't use quite a lot of those extra devices like Layers, Umpf Drums (bit disappointed with those, feel a bit cheap and half-assed), Drum Kits, Pianos, Bass etc but even without them I'm still getting a hell of a lot of value for £80. The players are loads of fun no matter what you stick them in front of.

This looks interesting - if this is a good emulation of the originals

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... und-design_

antic604 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:58 am No.

This would have been nice if they told me before I upgraded to Suite 11. I asked them, because Scenic was the only rack extension in Suite that I wanted and didn't own before. So I asked them specifically IF Suite will get rack extensions that Standard will NOT get, in the future, but they couldn't tell.

I will say it again, Reason Studios has the worst f*cking business policy EVER!
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I picked up Melodic Inverter.. seems ok, but doesn't seem to work just "magically" the way it did before when it had no interface and was much cheaper. Need to study it a bit so I can make the most of it. Might get the rest of the Loopcracker suite if I can get on with it..

Thinking about getting Sequences and some more Lectric Panda/Robotic Bean stuff but trying to figure out if there's a way I can use older CV stuff like PSQ or Kron with the midi out in a host like Bitwig.. haven't quite gotten that far yet.

The Players kind of fight you a bit unless you set one up with a MIDI Out module first and then modify from there.
Thought there was a way to cause a CV to MIDI conversion through a Combinator but my memory is fuzzy on that.

Not really very interested in any RE's inside Reason because they all sound a bit meh compared to my VST's and Prop's don't seem to give you any credit for them, etc.. mainly just interested in Players and MIDI manipulation from here on out.

Really wish they would come out with a Combinator 2.. four knobs is just not enough anymore-could be so much more powerful, especially with different types of controls.. sliders with inertia/friction, bouncing balls in a morphing room or superformula shape, etc..

It's up to the individual to figure out the best use of their $$$. I've been extremely critical with Propellerheads offerings upgrades and directions over the years. However I sure as hell maximized how far my money went with them, has nothing to do with what they do -- its about what I do.
Have you tried Vital?

starflakeprj wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:44 pmThis would have been nice if they told me before I upgraded to Suite 11. I asked them, because Scenic was the only rack extension in Suite that I wanted and didn't own before. So I asked them specifically IF Suite will get rack extensions that Standard will NOT get, in the future, but they couldn't tell.

You what? You paid EUR119 extra (or was it more?) to get an RE that costs EUR99??? Never buy promises! Pay for what's on the offer RIGHT NOW.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:03 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:44 pmThis would have been nice if they told me before I upgraded to Suite 11. I asked them, because Scenic was the only rack extension in Suite that I wanted and didn't own before. So I asked them specifically IF Suite will get rack extensions that Standard will NOT get, in the future, but they couldn't tell.

You what? You paid EUR119 extra (or was it more?) to get an RE that costs EUR99??? Never buy promises! Pay for what's on the offer RIGHT NOW.
Since they refused to tell anything about the future I didn't want to upgrade to "just" Standard and purchase separately and then later find out they there will be free rack extensions for Suite owners only.

What's annoying is that they don't have the policy to give some kind of discount to people owning 90% of the including rack extensions. Rob Papen do this, Ample Sound, even Arturia, with the world's second worst business policy, do this. I actually can't come up with any other software vendor NOT giving extra discount to buyers who already own most of their products. At least not when asking them.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 pmSince they refused to tell anything about the future...
...you shoul've assumed the most negative scenario, i.e. you won't get anything extra. And you'd get Scenic now at EUR49.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”