Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

schpaeckulum wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:16 am - 'Voice adjustment edit' sounds dumb, and 'Loudness envelope' sounds dumb.
not as dumb as you, socky puppy

goodbye :tu:

schpaeckulum wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:16 am
I have some nitpicks:
- 'Voice adjustment edit' sounds dumb, and 'Loudness envelope' sounds dumb.
Loudness Envelope does seem a strange choice. :D

Well... it's called the Loudness Envelope on the original, so... :)

chk071 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am Well... it's called the Loudness Envelope on the original, so... :)
Fair enough if Synapse wanted to replicate the whole OB layout but as noted by several nitpickers here they didn't follow the whole thing through. :)
The Arturia OB also uses the Loudness Env naming convention but kept their interface closer to the original OB.
Of course such things thankfully don't alter the sound so it is no skin off my nose.
Last edited by Kian Russell on Tue May 26, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom originally designed the HW based on the limitations of Reason REs
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

At least we have a scapegoat now. Reason Studios are to blame, for everything.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am Well... it's called the Loudness Envelope on the original, so... :)
I have a feeling that every quirk and limitation of original synth will be brought up as Obsession flaw.

Its a shame that the UI is constrained because of limitations in Reason. I guess they earn enough from rack extensions to warrant that design choice.

wagtunes wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:23 pm
e-crooner wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:12 pm What makes you think such a minor change would take months to implement?! Shouldn't take more than 3 days.

And to answer your first question, someone wrote something like this many pages ago (albeit in a different context): the worst beta test team ever :hihi:
So you're an expert coder. You know exactly how long GUI changes take. You know all the ins and outs of creating a synth and everything that goes into it.
When it comes to just moving a section up or down within the existing frame, he's right, it isn't a big change or a ton of work. Again Richard wouldn't be asking opinions about moving the modulation section below the oscs if it would cause a huge delay. He's made bigger changes pretty quick.

EDIT: Deleted due to brain fart.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Tue May 26, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:14 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:23 pm
e-crooner wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:12 pm What makes you think such a minor change would take months to implement?! Shouldn't take more than 3 days.

And to answer your first question, someone wrote something like this many pages ago (albeit in a different context): the worst beta test team ever :hihi:
So you're an expert coder. You know exactly how long GUI changes take. You know all the ins and outs of creating a synth and everything that goes into it.
When it comes to just moving a section up or down within the existing frame, he's right, it isn't a big change or a ton of work. Again Richard wouldn't be asking opinions about moving the modulation section below the oscs if it would cause a huge delay. He's made bigger changes pretty quick.

What is not feasible in a short time is a complete redesign where the window itself is a completely different shape and the controls move positions relative to each other like the mockup BONES has made. I don't understand why he is showing/suggesting this as that would be a massive delay.

BONES was asked to do it, try and keep up.... and that's for the beta forum, not here :roll:

AnX wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:21 pm
BONES was asked to do it, try and keep up.... and that's for the beta forum, not here :roll:
Should we even be discussing the Synapse offering such is the secrecy regarding the project. :)

AnX wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:21 pm BONES was asked to do it, try and keep up.... and that's for the beta forum, not here :roll:
Yep, I stand corrected. I thought something was posted here which wasn't (and I was talking about the one that wasn't requested). Best to delete the reference in your quote (you say it shouldn't be discussed yet and yet quote it so as to make it permanent?).
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Tue May 26, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I am at least comforted that Richard is giving it some thought....As someone else mentioned it would be harder to change it after release and some people have gotten accustomed to the workflow in the Released version.
Really not a dealbreaker but sometimes the little things make a huge difference to some people, like me.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:54 pm I am at least comforted that Richard is giving it some thought....As someone else mentioned it would be harder to change it after release and some people have gotten accustomed to the workflow in the Released version.
Really not a dealbreaker but sometimes the little things make a huge difference to some people, like me.
rsp
The first time I saw the GUI, it was a bit different than I was expecting, but not confusing enough to say anything. After a few minutes using it, you really don't care though. Even the two layout modifications I offered, I honestly don't know if I would prefer or not. The OB-X layout were quite quirky anyways, isn't that part of what we like in vintage synths? ;)

lol
No EIAC, we loved them for their sound :)
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”