Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 pm Oh and back on the subject of Odin 2....is it me or does the Ping Pong setting in Delay not work ?
photonic wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 am Oh, it does. But not in the way we would expected.
Maybe people can quote on how they do expect it to work? Since I am still not sure what is wanted..

So say you have a mono ( = identical stereo) signal and you do pingpong:

The signal gets shifted to the left channel? right channel? Completely? Or is there usually a dedicated Pan knob as well?

TheWaveWarden wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 am
Maybe people can quote on how they do expect it to work? Since I am still not sure what is wanted..

The signal gets shifted to the left channel? right channel? Completely? Or is there usually a dedicated Pan knob as well?
As far as know from other delays: when you send a signal to a ping pong delay, the delays are automatically panned hard to left and right and playing alternating. Where the first delay comes from, left or right, is imho not important. So the original sound stays in the center and only the delays are on the sides.
The stereo width can easily be controlled in the DAW.

But keep your PAN-knob in the Amplifier. It is a good additional option!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Ok, so I mix down to mono and feed into the left delay line only. That's probably a one-line change in the code ;-)

Yes, on ping pong delays, your dry signal stays where it is, and one delay is sent to the left, the other delay is sent to the right.

On the topic of names: in Serum there is a preset named something like "Ran Out of Names 57" :D

Could we have a lowpass filter on the delay as well as highpass?

photonic wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 am
Teksonik wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 pm ...
Oh and back on the subject of Odin 2....is it me or does the Ping Pong setting in Delay not work ?
Oh, it does. But not in the way we would expected. You have to turn the pan-pot for the whole sound to left or right position. Then you hear the delays in stereo. As long as the pan is centered, the delays are also centered.
Well that's highly unintuitive and not optimal. It Pans the original sound as well. Delay Ping Pong should be independent of Amp Pan :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

TheWaveWarden wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 am
Teksonik wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 pm Oh and back on the subject of Odin 2....is it me or does the Ping Pong setting in Delay not work ?
photonic wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 am Oh, it does. But not in the way we would expected.

In all the other plugins I own Ping Pong simply Pans the Delays. So with Ping Pong off the delays are centered, with Ping Pong enabled the Delays go left right, left right.

In other words just the way it works in Odin but without the need to Pan the Amplifier. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

sinkmusic wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:23 pm Yes, on ping pong delays, your dry signal stays where it is, and one delay is sent to the left, the other delay is sent to the right.
The other delay? You mean that they crossfeed? That's already the case. My question was about the pan-position of the initial feed of input into the left/right delay lines.
onerob wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:11 pm Could we have a lowpass filter on the delay as well as highpass?
I don't see the space for that in the GUI, sorry.
Teksonik wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 pm Well that's highly unintuitive and not optimal. It Pans the original sound as well. Delay Ping Pong should be independent of Amp Pan :?
Expect it to be changed in the next update! :-)

Teksonik wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 pm
photonic wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 am
Teksonik wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 pm ...
Oh and back on the subject of Odin 2....is it me or does the Ping Pong setting in Delay not work ?
Oh, it does. But not in the way we would expected. You have to turn the pan-pot for the whole sound to left or right position. Then you hear the delays in stereo. As long as the pan is centered, the delays are also centered.
Well that's highly unintuitive and not optimal. It Pans the original sound as well. Delay Ping Pong should be independent of Amp Pan :?
i've got a couple of plugins where this is implemented the same way. Center is no change, off center is pingpong. Works pretty good. This way one can choose how much, and which way, the pingpong reacts. I like it

TheWaveWarden wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:09 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 pm Well that's highly unintuitive and not optimal. It Pans the original sound as well. Delay Ping Pong should be independent of Amp Pan :?
Expect it to be changed in the next update! :-)
Ow...i hope it won't get changed! It works like a charm (as long as the original sound won't get panned ofcourse)

exmatproton wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:43 pm
i've got a couple of plugins where this is implemented the same way. Center is no change, off center is pingpong. Works pretty good. This way one can choose how much, and which way, the pingpong reacts. I like it
You have a couple of plugins where the Delay Ping Pong is dependent on the Oscillator Amplifier Pan ?

Which ones ? Because as far as I can remember none of the dozens of synth plugins I own operate that way...nor should they. :?

exmatproton wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:43 pm i've got a couple of plugins where this is implemented the same way. Center is no change, off center is pingpong. Works pretty good. This way one can choose how much, and which way, the pingpong reacts. I like it
You have a couple of plugins where the Delay Ping Pong is dependent on the Oscillator Amplifier Pan ?

Which ones ? Because as far as I can remember none of the dozens of synth plugins I own operate that way...nor should they. :?
exmatproton wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:44 pm Ow...i hope it won't get changed! It works like a charm (as long as the original sound won't get panned ofcourse)
That's the problem. That way it is now the original sound is panned. Like I say not optimal.

exmatproton wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:44 pm Ow...i hope it won't get changed! It works like a charm (as long as the original sound won't get panned ofcourse)
I expected it to be weird in the beginning (I always imagined the dry signal to get hard-panned as well automatically, which is of course not the case). Now that I implemented it, it sounds quite natural to me, as the basis of the sound is still centered. I think I'll leave it that way

hi wavewarden,it will be nice to be able to copy paste oscillator.

Return to “Instruments”