NI have announced they will no longer activate discontinued products

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just discovered that NI is not supporting my computer anymore:
389345A3-C51E-40AA-B3AD-F6CDB1E53584.png
They are soooo mean!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

surreal wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:03 pmHello Matt from NI you have become very quiet.. please update us on the official method of activation of the older products that you said could be activated by NA? As service centre is due to be killed off in a few days and I am standing on knife edge to get my ni plugins to be activated on a new system please... I am rushing against time
Which products are you worried about? Please give a full list. Which new system? If Mac, as long as it's on 10.9 minimum you will be good.

In any case - ALL old Kontakt/Kompakt/Intakt stuff will be authorizable through Native Access. For Spektral Delay, Vokator, Pro-53, B4-II, you will need to install their latest versions first, then they can be authorized through Native Access. FM7, B4, Battery, Battery 2, Absynth 1-3, Kontakt 1-3 won't be authorizable any longer (but FM8 does everything FM7 does, ditto for B4-II vs B4, Battery 3 vs older, Absynth 4-5 vs older, Kontakt 4-6 vs older).

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... 0006053397

The article doesn't yet reflect the last thing that I said but it will be updated.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu May 28, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

surreal wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:03 pm Hello Matt from NI you have become very quiet.. please update us on the official method of activation of the older products that you said could be activated by NA? As service centre is due to be killed off in a few days and I am standing on knife edge to get my ni plugins to be activated on a new system please... I am rushing against time
All the most up to date information are in our article here: https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... nd-of-Life
We will be adding which versions of the applications can be used after the date.
We have migrated all the libraries into Native Access and so they can be used on 10.9 and higher.
Native Instruments - Community
Support & Contact
We're also available via Twitter :arrow: https://twitter.com/NI_Support

imrae wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 am
imrae wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:51 am A reminder to those following that there is a difference between "support" and "allowing people to reinstall their software".
lwj wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 am In this case, it seems perfectly reasonable for them to stop supporting products that haven’t been sold for years.
:dog:
:clap: :zzz:

EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:32 am FM7, B4, Battery, Battery 2, Absynth 1-3, Kontakt 1-3 won't be authorizable any longer (but FM8 does everything FM7 does, ditto for B4-II vs B4, Battery 3 vs older, Absynth 4-5 vs older, Kontakt 4-6 vs older).
Again, this just isn't true. I already pointed out some FM7 differences. Another one (I'm aware of) is the filter code in Kontakt 1 also produced different results from V2 and later. They may be considered "replacements", by NI, but the results they render may not always be the same sonically, and that's what actually matters when you're talking about the recall of old projects (which is, let's face it, what would be the most likely usage for such old versions.. )

Of course, this was back when you had to search the web for "unofficial" patches just so Kontakt 1 could see your CD Drive, which must've taken them a year or more to fix. The one good thing which came out of this is I made sure I wasn't tied down to Kontakt after that.. :)

Which FM7 differences? If this is about the microtuning feature from FM7, it actually is in FM8 (KeySc page, last row, P). Apart from that, I tried FM7 side by side with FM8 and with the same bunch of patches I tried, matched output levels, they nulled...

I'm investigating the Kontakt 1 filters claim, but I'm pretty sure it all sounds the same since those filters were IIRC licensed from zplane. Backwards compatibility both file format-wise and sound-wise was always priority for Kontakt.

EDIT: OK, maybe these bullet points from Kontakt 1.5.3 changelog (last version of Kontakt 1) is what you meant:

Bugs fixed:
Master filter plus other master insert effect anomaly
Filter zipper noise when modulating cutoff AND resonance
Intensity modulation broken
Filter modulation bug

If anything those would be good things, no, if filters didn't work as intended initially? :D At any rate it seems like an NKI created in last version of K1 would sound exactly the same in any newer version of Kontakt.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 pm Which FM7 differences?
Features, rather than sonics, in that case. Already mentioned in earlier post.
I'm investigating the Kontakt 1 filters claim, but I'm pretty sure it all sounds the
same
They don't. They made changes which altered the sound of patches which used the filter with resonance. Precisely when that occured between V1 and V2 I don't remember by now, though my memory is the changes came with version 2..

Anyway, by "completely changed the sound with resonance" I don't mean the removal of zipper noise. :P That would be welcome. Instead it changed enough that it didn't sound the same and ruined some sounds I'd made/edited at the time :)

PAK wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:14 pm
Ah those are all UX related things you mentioned back then. Regardless, you could still port your old projects with FM7 to FM8 and it would sound the same (which is ultimately what's most important).

Regarding K1/K2 filters, when you say "filter with resonance", does it imply ALL of them, or some? Because I have just compared the 3x2 filter and the 2-pole lowpass in K1.5.3, saved a patch and loaded it in K6, and they sound identical.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 pm Regarding K1/K2 filters, when you say "filter with resonance", does it imply ALL of them, or some? Because I have just compared the 3x2 filter and the 2-pole lowpass in 1.5.3, saved a patch and loaded it in K6, and they sound identical.
I don't think there was much more in V1(?!), so it was likely the regular 2 pole LP. If you're able to check v1.2x, I'd try that against the later versions, rather than 1.53, as it's possible the changes you listed were the source of the sonic changes rather than V2 (and did more to alter the sound than claimed. ;) )

EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 pm
Ah those are all UX related things you mentioned back then. Regardless, you could still port your old projects with FM7 to FM8 and it would sound the same (which is ultimately what's most important).

Regarding K1/K2 filters, when you say "filter with resonance", does it imply ALL of them, or some? Because I have just compared the 3x2 filter and the 2-pole lowpass in K1.5.3, saved a patch and loaded it in K6, and they sound identical.
The plugins I want to reactivate is on a new system that I repurposed for music production.. its a duel core 3ghz 8bgb ram.. I want to keep it on windows 7 as I see the windows 10 updates breaks more than it fixes.. read about the latest win 10 may 2004 updates and its compatibility that It breaks on all systems with nvidia and Intel graphix drivers.. its a total nightmare so I want to maintain a stable system that does not break and works properly offline when not activating the software for music production... on that system it must be able to run the following

Battery3
Ni electric piano 1.5
Ni Akustic piano
Kontakt 5
Reaktor 5
B4 11
Massive
Fm8
Pro53
Absynth5
Kontact 3.5
Guitar rig 5
Kore player and the sound libries including the cm ones I got
Razor
Kontact experience

All these are from komplete 5 and komplete 8 that run with service centre... on a previous system native access installed over service center and marked most of these as "demo" versions so what is the newer installation method? I went and wrote down all the individual serial numbers of the plugins as listed within the service center. So with the newer ni access do I put in the serial codes after I have installed them with induvual serial codes or do I just put in the universal serial code for komplete 5 and komplete8 and hope that native access loads and activates them individually like service center did?.. I also yave komplete 10 upgrade that I need to install on the newer i7 system which will also stay on win7 for now... this was originally actived also with servuce center.. so hiw does that activation work now with native access Mario? Matt could you also help here please?

What about this: Roland just announced that from January 1 2021 all the owners of Juno106 and Jupiter8 will no longer be able to use their synths because they are no longer "supported". All users are invited to throw them away and get the new Roland Cloud subscription. If anyone will be caught using the synths above after 01.01.2021 will be prosecuted.*

Seems like you don't get to own things anymore, you just rent them for a while. When you click "accept" (without reading most of the t&c) you accept that in fact you are not actually buying anything but renting stuff. Take the tesla case - https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21127 ... car-update - if you can't sell what you bought, unless the manufacturer take its share, then you don't own it.

No matter if its covered in "security issues" or whatever other reasons a manufacturer might invoke, the truth is the new landscape lean towards rentals. Remember early NI audio interfaces? No longer supported. Remember older m-audio interfaces? No longer supported. You want to repair your macbook? Thats illegal. Heavy machinery? Illegal. https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere- ... to-repair/

Its not like NI couldn't put a little effort to make a tool for offline authorization or update their interface drivers for windows 10. RME and some other (few) companies do it. But most of them (those led by accountants and marketing dept. anyway) happily embrace the new norm of planned obsolescence and rentals. "If you can't break the hardware, break the software and/or make it illegal to use and/or repair" is a bit of a shady and unfair practice with very little respect for the end users.

------------------

* - fiction for now
Last edited by Lerian on Thu May 28, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Its a sad situation. ....

PAK wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:34 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 pm Regarding K1/K2 filters, when you say "filter with resonance", does it imply ALL of them, or some? Because I have just compared the 3x2 filter and the 2-pole lowpass in 1.5.3, saved a patch and loaded it in K6, and they sound identical.
I don't think there was much more in V1(?!), so it was likely the regular 2 pole LP. If you're able to check v1.2x, I'd try that against the later versions, rather than 1.53, as it's possible the changes you listed were the source of the sonic changes rather than V2 (and did more to alter the sound than claimed. ;) )
Unfortunately I only have access to 1.5.3. :(

surreal wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:08 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 pm

The plugins I want to reactivate is on a new system that I repurposed for music production.. its a duel core 3ghz 8bgb ram.. I want to keep it on windows 7 as I see the windows 10 updates breaks more than it fixes.. read about the latest win 10 may 2004 updates and its compatibility that It breaks on all systems with nvidia and Intel graphix drivers.. its a total nightmare so I want to maintain a stable system that does not break and works properly offline when not activating the software for music production... on that system it must be able to run the following

Battery3
Ni electric piano 1.5
Ni Akustic piano
Kontakt 5
Reaktor 5
B4 11
Massive
Fm8
Pro53
Absynth5
Kontact 3.5
Guitar rig 5
Kore player and the sound libries including the cm ones I got
Razor
Kontact experience

All these are from komplete 5 and komplete 8 that run with service centre... on a previous system native access installed over service center and marked most of these as "demo" versions so what is the newer installation method? I went and wrote down all the individual serial numbers of the plugins as listed within the service center. So with the newer ni access do I put in the serial codes after I have installed them with induvual serial codes or do I just put in the universal serial code for komplete 5 and komplete8 and hope that native access loads and activates them individually like service center did?.. I also yave komplete 10 upgrade that I need to install on the newer i7 system which will also stay on win7 for now... this was originally actived also with servuce center.. so hiw does that activation work now with native access Mario? Matt could you also help here please?
Hi ED here with the info you asked from me and if possible can you or Matt advise me how to go about this please?

All the stuff from your list except I think Kore soundpacks should work. I am not 100% certain if Komplete 8 serial will be recognized by NA (IIRC NA was supposed to support Komplete 9 onwards), but this is the detail that Matt could find out (I messaged him about that).

At any rate do activate all of those products on that repurposed machine with SC before the end of this month, if you didn't already. That'd be the safest.

Return to “Instruments”