How To Use Cakewalk by Bandlab - misc. threads consolidated

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JoseC. wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:28 pm
jens wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:42 pm Oh, yeah, absolutely. I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. :oops: I was hoping it was some kind of setting and as such relevant here as according to the thread title. If it however is a bug instead, then it ain't really as much...
Why don't you report that in the user's forum? If you are using the last update, devs will surely be curious.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... y-bandlab/
Buen idea - he hecho esto esta noche - a ver - ahora creo es un bug nuevo.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I received a reply from the Cakewalk team. It's intended behaviour and apparently has been there for a while. For comping, doing cuts at certain points affects all takes, so that you can quickly click your way through the diffrent takes. And the incompleteness of the last take is regarded as a split by Sonar. Utterly daft, I think, but that's the rationale.

So it actually does belong in this thread after all and does not belong over there in the thread about the new version.

Anyway: I actually was kind of impressed how quickly I got an official response.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jinotsuh wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:09 pm
planetearth wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:44 am
Saffran wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:50 am Jens.
It's only "ripple edit" that does something like that. If it is set to "all".
Check out the "ripple edit" button top right over the tracks. It should be off.
Yes, this sounds like the "ripple edit" feature in Cakewalk by Bandlab; Sonar didn't have this. Are you on Sonar or CbB?

Steve
For the sake of accuracy I think you will find SONAR did indeed have Ripple Editing, I believe it was added around June 2017 (Better late than never :roll: ), of course if facts are of no concern, just carry on.
Facts are a concern. So is civility. No need to be rude. I should have said that Sonar's ripple editing feature was not as easily accessible as it is on CbB--you have to access the Options pull-down in the Track view to get to it. It's not something someone would have inadvertently enabled with an errant mouse click.

But yes, thanks for your help in resolving the OP's issue.

Steve
Last edited by planetearth on Sun May 03, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

jens wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:08 am I received a reply from the Cakewalk team. It's intended behaviour and apparently has been there for a while. For comping, doing cuts at certain points affects all takes, so that you can quickly click your way through the diffrent takes. And the incompleteness of the last take is regarded as a split by Sonar. Utterly daft, I think, but that's the rationale.

So it actually does belong in this thread after all and does not belong over there in the thread about the new version.

Anyway: I actually was kind of impressed how quickly I got an official response.
Oh, okay. This makes more sense now. From your initial post, I you'd said that Sonar was "cutting every take" when you "end the last one", and I took "end the last one" to mean when you stopped recording a previous take. I didn't know you meant you were cutting some takes and Sonar (or CbB) was summarily cutting all the others. But I agree with you, it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I think we can return this thread to @CreativeSauce now. :wink: I checked out some of his videos earlier today and found them quite informative. Thanks again, @CreativeSauce!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

creativesauce wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:56 am Hi folks! As some of you may know, there is a new 'Arranger Track' feature in Cakewalk, so I've made this easy tutorial to get you started!

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/_2e1SUcEpms
Thanks for this and a bump to get back on track.

jens wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:48 pm
JoseC. wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:28 pm
jens wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:42 pm Oh, yeah, absolutely. I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. :oops: I was hoping it was some kind of setting and as such relevant here as according to the thread title. If it however is a bug instead, then it ain't really as much...
Why don't you report that in the user's forum? If you are using the last update, devs will surely be curious.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... y-bandlab/
Buen idea - he hecho esto esta noche - a ver - ahora creo es un bug nuevo.
Yes, I saw that you got an answer. :)

planetearth wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:30 am
jens wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:08 am I received a reply from the Cakewalk team. It's intended behaviour and apparently has been there for a while. For comping, doing cuts at certain points affects all takes, so that you can quickly click your way through the diffrent takes. And the incompleteness of the last take is regarded as a split by Sonar. Utterly daft, I think, but that's the rationale.

Oh, okay. This makes more sense now. From your initial post, I you'd said that Sonar was "cutting every take" when you "end the last one", and I took "end the last one" to mean when you stopped recording a previous take. I didn't know you meant you were cutting some takes and Sonar (or CbB) was summarily cutting all the others. But I agree with you, it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I think we can return this thread to @CreativeSauce now. :wink: I checked out some of his videos earlier today and found them quite informative. Thanks again, @CreativeSauce!

Steve
The idea seems logical as explained here:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... ent=123989

The takes recording and comping system in CbB is very comprehensive, but it can be a bit confusing sometimes.

Maybe a good topic for a new Mike's Creative Sauce Video. :)

planetearth wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:30 am Oh, okay. This makes more sense now. From your initial post, I you'd said that Sonar was "cutting every take" when you "end the last one", and I took "end the last one" to mean when you stopped recording a previous take. I didn't know you meant you were cutting some takes and Sonar (or CbB) was summarily cutting all the others. But I agree with you, it doesn't seem to make much sense.
No, you got it right initially I guess.

I (say) record ten complete takes then end recording somewhere at the beginning of the 11th take. In comping mode and with the takes going into lanes Sonar automatically cuts all ten complete takes at exactly the end of the incomplete 11th take (i.e. the point at which I stopped recording). Not splicing required from my part for that.

Otherwise the automated splicing of all takes makes a lot of sense to me. That way it's super easy and quick to try out different takes for arbitary bits of the performance.

JoseC. wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:39 am Maybe a good topic for a new Mike's Creative Sauce Video. :)
He already made a video about the comping. The problem is that all (or at least almost all) videos about comping shortcut the recording process and only show the resulting takes after healing the automated cut I was referring to (ie. after cleaning up the mess Sonar created). Mike did the same, it appears.

Hi folks! We each have our own way of doing things, but I thought I'd put together my 5 steps to a better mix (in Cakewalk by Bandlab).

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/P8clJMIsFrk

with regards to comping in Cakewalk by Bandlab (and this started for me in Sonar), i do not use Take Lanes for comping, because for some reason, 2 times when i did try to use them (without rtfm-ing) i had audio turn gray & become lost to me. so i just turn on the loop markers & record to new tracks for each series of run-throughs. works perfectly for me this way
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have some MIDI vst plugins that I would like to use to control instrument plugins. I can't work out how to make them work in Cakewalk. They don't show up in the MIDI plugins list.

Midi generators/seguencers/arps/chorders often show up as an instrument in Cakewalk.

Saffran wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:13 pm Midi generators/seguencers/arps/chorders often show up as an instrument in Cakewalk.
Not showing there either. :(

Erisian wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:20 pm
Saffran wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:13 pm Midi generators/seguencers/arps/chorders often show up as an instrument in Cakewalk.
Not showing there either. :(
If the vst has an exe installer can i assume you have checked that the dll is installed in the right folder?
Program files / steinberg / is common but isn't scanned by CbB.

Later addition: There's also that thing about vst3. Do not put any .dll in the vst3 folder. Cakewalk will ignore those.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”