Can we get a like button here?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

well dont worry, you are not on the list of suspects for me :hug:

jancivil wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:18 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:40 pm
jancivil wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 pm It’s not interesting enough to me to even try and picture it really.

The sort of vapid happy talk, “Don’t you listen to the haters! “Don’t let anybody make you feel bad for... “Populate your life with people who see your best,” as a response to everything that isn’t cheerleading is momentarily fascinating sociologically (teh millennial generation, judge-y) I guess.
Forever coddling is infantilizing, ultimately.
ah, i think you could be closer than me or mushy.
i put two and two together, due to you, mike and me, seeming to adopt a stalker on the same day.
i still think im right in my case though, as im not sure ive dealt much with circle of 5ths.
not enough to upset him anyway :hihi:
My post regards two different cases. claude has plugins to argue about tho.
I forgot about circle of fifths guy.
not one in the same?
wasnt it him arguing the jazz/circle of 5ths because hes a dj?
then preaching the anti hate and anger using thinly veiled ad hominems :hihi:

two different guys

ah ok, i get mixed up sometimes. theres so many of them :o

Hink wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:31 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:30 pm
Hink wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 pm well I dont know if Ben can see it but I cannot. I gotta say that somewhere a line has to be drawn, yes targeting is an issue and should be dealt with but asking us to chase down likes and dislikes too might just be asking a bit much ;)
It's for good reason sites doesn't have a "dislike" button.
For this site to implement this is going 10 years backwards. We don't need that extra "fuel" for disgruntled morons.

And why are the like/dislikes anonymized in the first place?
first you will see I removed a line, do not use that word here...period

second, I have nothing to do with the buttons, not my table :shrug:
Then tell Ben. Or are you here only to censor words you personally don’t like while people like bones roams freely?
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

I'm amazed the dislike button has lasted as long as it has here. Normally, when they get introduced, they're toast in a matter of days.

I think that's because people aren't really using them much at all here, so you're only seeing the consequences of the odd personal vendetta when it does surface as a problem. Making them small and grey may have been a stroke of genius. Gearslutz messed up with big green and red numbers.

We could do cumulative dislike scores, get enough downvotes - serve tine in the bin of sin...
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:17 am We could do cumulative dislike scores, get enough downvotes - serve tine in the bin of sin...
...poised over the downvote button.

Seriously, it works great on Reddit. Oh wait, no it doesn't.

TheMaestro wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:13 am
Hink wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:31 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:30 pm
Hink wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 pm well I dont know if Ben can see it but I cannot. I gotta say that somewhere a line has to be drawn, yes targeting is an issue and should be dealt with but asking us to chase down likes and dislikes too might just be asking a bit much ;)
It's for good reason sites doesn't have a "dislike" button.
For this site to implement this is going 10 years backwards. We don't need that extra "fuel" for disgruntled morons.

And why are the like/dislikes anonymized in the first place?
first you will see I removed a line, do not use that word here...period

second, I have nothing to do with the buttons, not my table :shrug:
Then tell Ben. Or are you here only to censor words you personally don’t like while people like bones roams freely?
no, I make sure trolls dont use hate words...I really dont care if you like it or not...educate yourself and read "rosa's law"

Now I'm off to work, did you know both my son and I work at a residence/kids for kids with spectrum disorders and specific behavior issues? We deal with kids who go into crisis because of that word, who have been subjected to that word for far too long, so hence the need for rosa's law. It really take an insensitive human being to try and even defend using it, but you want tro try and use your ignorance for an attack on me.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 pm We deal with kids who go into crisis because of that word, who have been subjected to that word for far too long, so hence the need for rosa's law.
My wife used to work with adults with spectrum disorders and when I mentioned your post, she wasn't sure what I meant but surmised that it might be referring to rule related words that can be a problem for some. Then I looked up Rosa's Law and as soon as I told her she drew a sharp intake of breath. She knew exactly what the problem was. It's not a pleasant word at the best of times but we don't know what KVR members' individual situations are. Many on the spectrum can, to all intents and purposes, appear to function normally and you might never know about the difficulties they have and how they can suffer. I think it's a great idea to refrain from name calling completely.

the thing is we have words that are homophobic that are hate speech, there are racist words that are hate words and then there is the "R" which was a clinical term associated children's development, now it's a very damaging term to use and people dont realize the reason the word was removed as a medical term and for some reason just dont get the fact it's quite appropriate to support children with learning disabilities.

You're 100% correct when you say many on the spectrum are indeed high functioning, but one of the issues is quite often what is lost on them is sarcasm and humor. That of course means it doesn't really matter what the intent was by the person using the term, no good will come from it and quite frankly it's often most damaging to children.

Some people on KvR have given me a very hard time about it, it really is pretty sad when you think we have people here who think protecting children from harmful speech is not something we need to do. Like I said, if other hate words were used here people would be screaming for bans, but when that hate word is about children we shouldn't protect them according to some.

Now, let me say that it doesn't only affect children, like your wife can attest to I'm sure, adults deserve the same consideration, sadly it's too easy to use such a word than to actually put some thought into one's choice of words. Fortunately I work with a great staff and we are the ones that help these kids after insensitive jerks put these kids in crisis. But this isn't just at a facility like I work at, an adult with developmental issues can overhear such a comment between friends on the streets, in a store, and they have heard that same word most of their lives referring to their own condition, then are subjected to the cruelness of it being used as a hate word and they cannot rationalize this, they cannot see how it was just a joke...all they think is people are making fun of them.

All I can say is imo, it takes a special kind of hate to think it's ok to hurt children, even if it wasn't your intent....that's why Obama signed rosa's law, so that those living with developmental issues can live with dignity. Sad we had to have a law though
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

All hate is ultimately bad I guess, it doesn't take a special kind of anything. Some of us are more sensitive with certain types of hate as maybe it's closer to home.

And yes, I support mindful use of language, of course.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

jancivil wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:40 pm two different guys
Great for the out of context thread. :party:

revvy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:53 am All hate is ultimately bad I guess, it doesn't take a special kind of anything. Some of us are more sensitive with certain types of hate as maybe it's closer to home.

And yes, I support mindful use of language, of course.
I agree and I am not trying to diminish any hate words, but this guy actually tried to use my removing of a hate word associated with children as a cheap shot against me and I just want to make it abundantly clear of what an epic fail that is.

But then I can easily just be this way, at least I am trying to make a positive difference in these kids life because most of our kids have been let down by the adults that were suppose to be protecting them.

I got clocked in the face with an apple today from an angry kid as he went off on me and then we fist bumped, debriefed, the most difficult kid on campus, I staff him almost every week and still I am one of his favorites. So trust me when I say a cheap shot from the internet is an epic fail, I get to see the good I do and it's not because I suck at my job that I staff the most difficult kids. 8)

But you're right, all hate speech is ridiculous and uncalled for and words do hurt despite what we want to believe. Ones words reflect an awful lot about themselves and I wonder why some just cant see that it is them that looks bad and it's truly the respectful thing to do...to put a little thought into ones words. You cant take them back and there are those who are going to perseverate on those words for a very long time doing untold damage...just because the person making the statement doesn't possess the tact, respect or even common sense to see that.

Man, you do that all day and then come here to try to referee this mess in your spare time... :clap:

Return to “Site Stuff”