Steinberg Backbone - Drum Re-synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If it can, I haven't figured that out yet... It is meant to play one sound per instance.. So I would have counted a open/closed hihat as at least two sounds.
Think of it this way, you want to create your ultimate Kick sound.. one instance.
You want to create your ultimate snare sound..... another instance.
etc.
It isn't designed for one instance to play more than one type of sound, like you couldn't use this for a drum kit, well not one instance anyway.
rsp
sound sculptist

I'm pretty sure you can't set key ranges per layer. This isn't really built for that kind of sampling, so if you want to do in-depth sampling with keyranges and velocity ranges, Backbone might not do what you want. For something like closed vs open hats, though, you could maybe do it with velocity (envelope lengths can be velocity-controlled, as can sample length in the resynth engine) or use two separate instances, which is effectively the same as two different keyranges.

Having said that -- since you'll usually be running multiple instances of Backbone anyhow, if you really want to layer by keyrange you can use an instance for each desired keyrange (in the options you can set a keyrange that Backbone will respond to).

And you can't limit the layers to respond to certain velocity ranges only? That would be too bad, you might only want some at higher velocities. Or at least you can set the amp to velocity sensitive I'm sure right? Can you inverse that so that some layers are heard more at lower velocities?

Correct, you can't set velocity ranges for different layers. Amplitude (& some other useful parameters, such as sample start position) does have velocity sensitivity, and you can invert the sensitivity; so as you mention, you can control layer volumes that way.

I can't see any real reason this could not be used for tuning/mangling drum loops - anyone got any experience of this? The fact that they don't do this in the videos makes me wonder if there is some flaw in it
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:52 am I can't see any real reason this could not be used for tuning/mangling drum loops - anyone got any experience of this? The fact that they don't do this in the videos makes me wonder if there is some flaw in it
Sure, you can tempo sync loops fine with the spectral oscillator in sync mode, unfortunately envelope curves can't be looped.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:39 am
ericj23 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:52 am I can't see any real reason this could not be used for tuning/mangling drum loops - anyone got any experience of this? The fact that they don't do this in the videos makes me wonder if there is some flaw in it
Sure, you can tempo sync loops fine with the spectral oscillator in sync mode, unfortunately envelope curves can't be looped.
Can you draw complex envelopes or are they ASDR?

PS thanks for answering my questions - it just isn't the Steinberg way to produce a demo!
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:41 am

PS thanks for answering my questions - it just isn't the Steinberg way to produce a demo!
Yes, the envelopes are multi point MSEGs actually, you can draw any shape and as many steps as you want, tempo synced or not.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:57 am
ericj23 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:41 am

Yes, the envelopes are multi point MSEGs actually, you can draw any shape and as many steps as you want, tempo synced or not.
That makes it sound much more tempting, for using loops at least.

Thanks again

Are there any samples/soundsbanks coming with this synth or...? Cant find info anywhere!

Yes, it comes with a large sample/layer/program set (around 3 gb I think).

I guess drag/drop audio files from arrangement page to Backbone works only in Cubendo?

Will definitely give this one a look.
Take care :wink:

ozinga wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:31 am I guess drag/drop audio files from arrangement page to Backbone works only in Cubendo?
As I suspected it would, it also works in Studio One Pro V4.5.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:02 pm
ozinga wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:31 am I guess drag/drop audio files from arrangement page to Backbone works only in Cubendo?
As I suspected it would, it also works in Studio One Pro V4.5.

rsp
Thank you so much for checking.

Return to “Instruments”