DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

moss wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:12 pm DrivenByMoss 9.10 is online!
Lovely, thanks!! :tu: :party:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

And....it works! MK3 now has life outside of Live!

I had a minor glitch to start- said 'not enough memory/midi error, try closing another application' (or words to that affect!) but unplugging the USB and plugging back in again sorted it (I had been using it with Live so maybe some background application locks that in?)

I have only had 10 minutes to try everything out- loads of fun- I haven't been able to get poly after touch working in MPE mode yet (but channel is fine) and I cant find may around the new sequencing methods yet.

Was there a reason you didn't do the chords mode or is it just a bugger to program? Is there a may of accessing the built in sequencer and printing to a clip (I actually like the Novation sequencer!). I shouldn't ask too many questions, I have been to lazy to read the manula yet- will get on to that later after I have played ;-)

Anyway- this is great to have- I have all the original modes in Live and a bunch of new stuff in Bitwig. It would be great to have a 'clone' mode where everything is exactly the same in Bigwig as it is in Live (if not just because I have already learned that workflow!) but as far as I am concerned getting anything extra out of hardware in Bitwig is great :clap: Thanks Again.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Nice thanks! I came across a confusing thing on the drum machine. If i use several send effects inside the drum machine, the display is a little confusing which send effect i can use. I didn't get it right now, how it works. Is there a trick?

SLiC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm I had a minor glitch to start- said 'not enough memory/midi error, try closing another application' (or words to that affect!) but unplugging the USB and plugging back in again sorted it (I had been using it with Live so maybe some background application locks that in?)
Yes, that's an (totally misleading) error you see sometimes when another app blocks the MIDI driver.
SLiC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm Was there a reason you didn't do the chords mode or is it just a bugger to program? Is there a may of accessing the built in sequencer and printing to a clip (I actually like the Novation sequencer!). I shouldn't ask too many questions, I have been to lazy to read the manula yet- will get on to that later after I have played ;-)
I am not that much of a fan of pre-programmed chords and did not yet look into it. ALso need to find some time to test the hardware features that come with the device. E.g. I liked the number display a lot for the tempo, which I did implement straight away.
SLiC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm Anyway- this is great to have- I have all the original modes in Live and a bunch of new stuff in Bitwig. It would be great to have a 'clone' mode where everything is exactly the same in Bigwig as it is in Live (if not just because I have already learned that workflow!) but as far as I am concerned getting anything extra out of hardware in Bitwig is great :clap: Thanks Again.
I rarely copy the exact behaviour of Live. Mainly because it is Bitwig and not Live and also because the Live implementation is mostly very basic. With Bitwig you get now 6 sequencers, that should be enough :-)

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:05 pm
Nice thanks! I came across a confusing thing on the drum machine. If i use several send effects inside the drum machine, the display is a little confusing which send effect i can use. I didn't get it right now, how it works. Is there a trick?
Can you please be more specific? Are you talking about the Launchpad Pro? What do mean by "which send effect I can use"?
On the Launchpad, if you enter Sends mode you see the volume of Send 1 for the currently selected 8 tracks. You can select Send 1-8 with the Scene buttons.

moss wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 am
SLiC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm I had a minor glitch to start- said 'not enough memory/midi error, try closing another application' (or words to that affect!) but unplugging the USB and plugging back in again sorted it (I had been using it with Live so maybe some background application locks that in?)
Yes, that's an (totally misleading) error you see sometimes when another app blocks the MIDI driver.
SLiC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm Was there a reason you didn't do the chords mode or is it just a bugger to program? Is there a may of accessing the built in sequencer and printing to a clip (I actually like the Novation sequencer!). I shouldn't ask too many questions, I have been to lazy to read the manula yet- will get on to that later after I have played ;-)
I am not that much of a fan of pre-programmed chords and did not yet look into it. ALso need to find some time to test the hardware features that come with the device. E.g. I liked the number display a lot for the tempo, which I did implement straight away.
SLiC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm Anyway- this is great to have- I have all the original modes in Live and a bunch of new stuff in Bitwig. It would be great to have a 'clone' mode where everything is exactly the same in Bigwig as it is in Live (if not just because I have already learned that workflow!) but as far as I am concerned getting anything extra out of hardware in Bitwig is great :clap: Thanks Again.
I rarely copy the exact behaviour of Live. Mainly because it is Bitwig and not Live and also because the Live implementation is mostly very basic. With Bitwig you get now 6 sequencers, that should be enough :-)
You did a great job considering how new this thing is...I am sure it will only get better with time (and I have a lot of new sequencers to learn!).

Off topic- have you ever come across one of these-
https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-xl
I have just got hold of one as I can program shortcut keys/macros for the various DAWS I use, but I noted it has an API so you can even have the keys change/display information from within the software (so it could display info from Bitwig ;-))
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:52 am Off topic- have you ever come across one of these-
I have just got hold of one as I can program shortcut keys/macros for the various DAWS I use, but I noted it has an API so you can even have the keys change/display information from within the software (so it could display info from Bitwig ;-))
I also have The XL , great for shortcut . and eventually buttons .
It also have a midi plugin https://trevligaspel.se/streamdeck/midi/index.html
Then you can also use Flexi ! ;)
But i don't think it's really usefully for playing music or tweaking parameters.Just on/off state...no velocity, the lcd button are not like pads. clearly more fragile.

zengel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:30 am
SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:52 am Off topic- have you ever come across one of these-
But i don't think it's really usefully for playing music or tweaking parameters.Just on/off state...no velocity, the lcd button are not like pads. clearly more fragile.
Hi Zengel

Yes, I bought it primarily for shortcuts (and programming little macros) but you probably could be a step sequencer or clip launch (its half a launchpad) as the original launchpad was effectively just buttons, the only advantage of this would be the ability to show 'information' on the buttons (names of scene, duration remaining etc) but that woudl take an API. Anyway- I will do another separate thread to hare ideas/templates once I have it set up for Bitwig :D

SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:43 am
zengel wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:30 am
Hi Zengel

Yes, I bought it primarily for shortcuts (and programming little macros) but you probably could be a step sequencer or clip launch (its half a launchpad) as the original launchpad was effectively just buttons, the only advantage of this would be the ability to show 'information' on the buttons (names of scene, duration remaining etc) but that woudl take an API. Anyway- I will do another separate thread to hare ideas/templates once I have it set up for Bitwig :D
Lol , one of my numerous dreams. Pads with lcd feedback ! we should contact Elgato ! I would for shure buy it ! imagine Push 2 with each pads having lcd feedback . Each pads would be velocity and aftertouch sensitive ! :hyper: :hyper:

The best of two world.

moss wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:16 pm
joris.roling wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:56 am - The Bitwig browser, when opened with SHIFT-STOP ALL CLIPS, responds niceley to the TRACK CONTROL (top) encoders, but it would make so much sense to navigate the Bitwig browser using the BANK SELECT arrow keys, would that be possible?
Can put it on the wishlist but maybe the cursor keys would make more sense.
I think we are talking about the same set of keys here, but yes, that would be a really great option...

Thank you so much...

Hi Moss,

I'm currently on Bitwig v3.0.3 - is there somewhere that I can download the last DrivenByMoss that is 100% compatible with that version?

Cheers
Rob

neverbeeninariot wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 am Hi Moss,

I'm currently on Bitwig v3.0.3 - is there somewhere that I can download the last DrivenByMoss that is 100% compatible with that version?

Cheers
Rob
Sure: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html
Get 7.60.

moss wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:07 pm Sure: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html
Get 7.60.
Awesome, thanks! :tu:

SLiC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm Was there a reason you didn't do the chords mode or is it just a bugger to program? Is there a may of accessing the built in sequencer and printing to a clip (I actually like the Novation sequencer!).
Hello Moss & thanks for ur work

I also have a lPmk3 and work on linux.

I would like to know if u plan to incorporate a fonction to chaining and queuing patterns and scenes?

What I realy like to have is to conserve all standalone modes (Note, Chord, Custom, Sequencer) inside Bitwig and can switch with a dedicated bitwig mode with Session pad.

Unfortunately I thought I understood that it's not in ur plan. I dnl the API guide for bitwig and the scripting guide for lPmk3 but I'm a realy beginer in programation. Is it a hard work ?

neijlu wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:31 am
SLiC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm Was there a reason you didn't do the chords mode or is it just a bugger to program? Is there a may of accessing the built in sequencer and printing to a clip (I actually like the Novation sequencer!).
Hello Moss & thanks for ur work

I also have a lPmk3 and work on linux.

I would like to know if u plan to incorporate a fonction to chaining and queuing patterns and scenes?

What I realy like to have is to conserve all standalone modes (Note, Chord, Custom, Sequencer) inside Bitwig and can switch with a dedicated bitwig mode with Session pad.
Not fully sure if I understand what you are after. There are no plans for chaining but you can select in Bitwig a follow up function to e.g. jump to another clip (you cannot do that from the controller).

The selected play or sequencer modes are remembered for each channel. E.g. if you chose the drum sequencer for your drum channel, switch to another track and then back to the drum channel, it will show the drum sequencer again.
neijlu wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:31 am dnl the API guide for bitwig and the scripting guide for lPmk3 but I'm a realy beginer in programation. Is it a hard work ?
Yes. :D
However, if you want to dive into it, watch my tutorial series on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4AuiQ8 ... O3luQCFQR2

Return to “Controller Scripting”