One Synth Challenge #135: TRICENT mk III by Full Bucket Music (jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tricent mk III

https://soundcloud.com/user-87727874/lo ... ers-planet

about 41 instances ofTricent, lots of layers in Reaper 6. For some reason Im hearing clipping but this whole song is -2 db with very mild limiting. I cant figure it out.

Fx: ReaEQ, ReaComp, Boids, JsLimiter, JsZeroCrossingMaximizer, OriRiver verb, DDelay, DDUtility, MStereoExpander.

My entry

https://soundcloud.com/functionform/magenta-memory

20 instances. Found myself in firmly in the 80s (not retrowave)
Dragonfly verbs - totally forgot about these guys until the end - I need to use them first I think.
TDRNova - I couldn't stop using this this time, not sure why
preFIX - to manage the spatial image of a few flanger patches
GClip - just to squeeze a little extra out here and there
OTT - lots of places
CamelCrusher, ModernSeventhSign, ModernLostAngel - a few patches
TAL Filter 2 - panning and vol
Master: Kotelnikov, A1StereoControl (lightly), SlickEQ, LoudMAX

I haven't really started listening yet, but it feels like I see a lot of space-themed titles and pink sunsets - my aesthetic heart rejoices!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:56 pm I haven't really started listening yet, but it feels like I see a lot of space-themed titles and pink sunsets - my aesthetic heart rejoices!
A round built especially for you!

After submitting my entry, tired and unhappy last evening, I went to bed and dreamed that when I opened the voting website, there were sixty entries. Not sure what to take from that.

h.s.j.e. wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:55 pm
schiing wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:56 pm I haven't really started listening yet, but it feels like I see a lot of space-themed titles and pink sunsets - my aesthetic heart rejoices!
A round built especially for you!
:hyper: :band: :hyper:
h.s.j.e. wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:55 pm After submitting my entry, tired and unhappy last evening, I went to bed and dreamed that when I opened the voting website, there were sixty entries. Not sure what to take from that.
I don't know whether it was a nightmare or a sweet fantasy, but your dreams seem accurate - the numbers are surely pretty decent this round!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

loris16148 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:29 am https://soundcloud.com/user-87727874/lo ... ers-planet

about 41 instances ofTricent, lots of layers in Reaper 6. For some reason Im hearing clipping but this whole song is -2 db with very mild limiting. I cant figure it out.

Fx: ReaEQ, ReaComp, Boids, JsLimiter, JsZeroCrossingMaximizer, OriRiver verb, DDelay, DDUtility, MStereoExpander.
I listened to it on speakers and headphones and nothing really jumped out as clipping or a bad sound.

A bit of a sudden transition at 1:12 though, more evident in the reverb and pads, is that what you are referring too?

If you are using clips or song sections, check that volume envelopes don't change all of the sudden from one to the other, that happens to me all the time...

The subtle sounds in the fade out are nice :tu:
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

Now that submissions are closed can anyone give more detail on how they were getting such a good snare? I followed what morphed dreams and others said but couldn't get rid of the tonal quality.

empphryio wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:09 pm Now that submissions are closed can anyone give more detail on how they were getting such a good snare? I followed what morphed dreams and others said but couldn't get rid of the tonal quality.
This. I couldn't get any decent drums sounds. How the heck do you guys do it?

redlegoman wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:49 pm
empphryio wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:09 pm... can anyone give more detail on how they were getting such a good snare?
This. I couldn't get any decent drums sounds. How the heck do you guys do it?
Drums usually consist of 2 parts: noise and body.

In order to get a decent body, you typically try to get a sine or triangle with a pitch envelope. Since there was no pitch envelope, there's a trick with resonant filters, where you can put the resonance at 100% and it becomes self oscillating, and you can then use the filter envelope as a pitch envelope. It just so happened the Brass section was slightly better for doing this, in my opinion.
tricent brass body.png

In order to get decent noise, with tricent, you could stack quite a few notes. For instance, 24 chromatic notes in high registers, with saw waves and detune did a pretty good job. Here, is an example using Bitwig's Multi-note device to duplicate incoming notes with pitch shift, so, ultimately it's just the same thing as if you put 24 chromatic notes directly on the piano roll:
tricent-noise.jpg

And here's what the parts sound like apart and together:
https://soundcloud.com/z_prime/the-tric ... 6kYOm9KHZA

For the snare, you just need to pitch the body up and have less of a pitch envelope, usually. Also, adding Limtier 6 on the snare or kick group often helps to glue stuff together with a little bit of distortion/saturation. And OTT. Can't have a track without OTT. It's illegal.

P.S. you can always ask these questions during the month! People are often happy to help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

P.S. you can always ask these questions during the month! People are often happy to help.
:love:
Seems a bit cheeky to ask people to divulge their trade secrets during the competition though!

The entire music industry might collapse if OTT no longer worked.

redlegoman wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:35 pm

:love:
Seems a bit cheeky to ask people to divulge their trade secrets during the competition though!
Just ask, you might get what you want. Once I heard a track by Photonic (during OSC59) and I replied on SoundCloud “I want those cymbals!” meaning, I wish I was able to make them as good as he did, but guess what: he sent me the patch in a PM

Wow. Thanks! I see among other things takes a very delicate touch on the brass cutoff for the kick.

Thanks z.prime! i was wondering the same thing.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Folks,

what an outstanding OSC again! I feel completely flattered and am very sorry that I could not attend more since I was too busy with my new pet (the new nasty Fury). Anyway, I listened (and will listen again) to your tracks and wish you good luck for the competition! :tu:

Stay safe & Cheers,
Björn

Return to “Instruments”