2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The old doepfer psu's werent switching psu's either I believe, tho the new one are. Anyway, the theory is that there will be a lot of switching if your psu has to go back and forth between the +/- 12 v a lot because of poor load balance. I keep my digital and analog separate, whether that's beneficial or not I cant say, for me it seems to work better, less switching, plenty of spare power which equals less load and heat generation. For some reason folks seem to get up in arms when I bring that up, not saying that's happening here, but mostly I don't like to discuss modular power with others. :lol:

*Also the doepfer psu's are way better than most other psu's out there.

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:31 pm The old doepfer psu's werent switching psu's either I believe, tho the new one are.
PSU-3 is a hybrid, it seems(*). switched supply module, linear regulator.

Doepfer seemed to be the only supplier that cared about their PSU being linear, I guess they figured that if it wasnt bothering anybody else, they could compromise.

edit : yeah, confirmed. 15v switched modules, to a 12V linear regulator.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

OFC this is the real man's solution to powering ones modular...

http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/pap ... bution.htm

So we'll have no more discussion Pekky Bro... :P
;)

But I'm very happy with the Row Power. Very clean... I have not experienced any noise. I keep my analog OSC and filters on one Row another has a mix of digital osc and filters and analog Env and VCAs... no noise that I can tell.. and another for my control skiff.
The ration of +12 -12 and +5 seems to work well with what I have.
Also, I like the idea of decentralised power regulation and distribution and easy to add another row and daisy chain them. On the three I have a 19V, 4.7 amp brick with another 6 amp brick if.. oops when I add another rail :borg:

elxsound wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:05 pm
toonertik wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:16 am
elxsound wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:26 pm Does anyone have experience with using the OP-Z with the ZM-1 module for sequencing/syncing to Trigger/Midi and CV?

It looks like it should handle all of the above, except that the first output is a 3-way switch between Midi, Tigger and CV (PO). I'm looking just use this with boutiques, pocket operators and volcas, but can also do everything that the Korg SQ-1 can do?

Is there anything the SQ-1 can do that the OP-Z with ZM-1 can't do? I know there's a big price difference, but if buy the OP-Z with the ZM-1, I'm just hoping I won't want to buy a SQ-1 next.
I had to poogle that setup. No experience, obviously but the OP-Z seems to be good bang for buck. Quiet staggering what they have managed to pack into such a small unit... well thought out.
The SQ-1 has 2 channels of gate and CV while it appears the OP-Z plus ZM-1 has 1 gate and 3 CV... however I would expect you can program more complex sequences with the OP-1...
You might be able to get more connectivity with MIDI, if the extra units use MIDI or their PO system.

If you go the OM-1 route... and lots of extra units (volca etc).. I can see the SQ-1 fitting in well... hey
you know how it goes ;)

:hihi:
Yes, painfully... That there is no one final purchase, just moments of contentment until the next "need" has to be resolved. :lol:
And just like that, I've ordered the OP-Z and ZM-1 combo.

I'm already wondering accessories I've left out that I'm sure I'll consider to be essential later.

elxsound wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm And just like that, I've ordered the OP-Z and ZM-1 combo.

I'm already wondering accessories I've left out that I'm sure I'll consider to be essential later.
:tu:
I think a screen of some sort will be essential, there seems to be an amazing amount that it can do and I'm sure a screen into the workings will be the most rewarding thing to dig deep into it.

Ordered my first true analog polyphonic synthesizer, Deepmind 12 Desktop. There really is not much to choose from in terms of polyphonic synths at that price point, unless you go for a hybrid with digital oscillators. Possibly the only other alternatives would be the Minilogue XD or Prologue or the Prophet Rev 2 8-voice. I went for the Deepmind because it is fairly safe in terms of vintage sound.
<List your stupid gear here>

sounds lovely too. as you say, for the price youd sacrifice a few notes polyphony, with any other choice.
if youre going polyphonic, may as well max out on voices 8)

Just arrived from Juno UK..

Mackie 1642VLZ4.. Looks amazing but it's heavy. Start hooking up synths and pedals tonight for a fun end to the week.

That looks amazing. I do have a soft spot for Mackie mixers.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:17 pm That looks amazing. I do have a soft spot for Mackie mixers.
Yeah Mushy it feels absolutely fantastic. Just plugged a TD-3 in to all channels to make sure all are working and they're perfect. The EQ knobs and the sliders are lovely. Makes a big big difference hearing the UK on bland synth sounds, mid sweep is my fav. Got plenty channels now for my synths. Has 4 stereo channels too, love it :tu:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:17 pm That looks amazing. I do have a soft spot for Mackie mixers.

Pretty pissed I'm out of jack leads FFS.. Didn't count on so many features and available connection plus this thing has tons of outs which I had planned to route to the MPC X and my ADAT/Audio Interface.

Secondly I'm out of free sockets I need 18 in total only have 12.. Need to search for either

1. A couple of 1u power supply with x6 plugs (uk) each
2. x2 8 way plus extensions
3. Find out if I could run all my Behringers and Analog Mono's from a pedal multi supply

or 4

Don't use about 4 of my synths :roll:

Ordered from BHPhotovideo and it came today!

Still have to read directions, and update firmware, but I'm not complaining. I can't wait to get up and running

elxsound wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:14 pm Ordered from BHPhotovideo and it came today!

Still have to read directions, and update firmware, but I'm not complaining. I can't wait to get up and running

pardon my ignorance, but
what is it? :oops:

dATS DA op-Z, personally I would go for the OP-1 as I dont have any idea of the value of money.

https://youtu.be/p0BHLMPRyro

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:31 pm
elxsound wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:14 pm Ordered from BHPhotovideo and it came today!

pardon my ignorance, but
what is it? :oops:
Lego. Genuinely, kinda.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”