Problems mapping a midi fighter twister

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
EDIT: Sorry! didn't mean to post this under the controller scripting section! Delete this if it's out of place, I'll just repost it in the general bitwig section if needed.

Hello, I tried searching for this topic but couldn't really find anything useful, I'm having a problem pairing my midi fighter twister with bitwig.
I spent the past few days trying out bitwig; generally speaking I'm quite liking it but I'm having a few issues here and there. Right now I'm testing how further I can push my midi fighter twister and I'm having a couple of problems.

As you might know, with the twister one can send up to 3 different signals out of one knob: every knob is also a button and you can choose to use the buttons to either act as a bang/toggle or to switch the message the knob is sending from one cc to another (basically you can have 1 knob mapped as 2). On top of that, with the "super knobs" feature, you can choose a range of the midi scale to start sending a contemporary second midi message (which, by default, goes on channel 5).
The controller comes with a software to configure it that I always use to adjust the configuration while patching things in my usual work environments; I'm not really looking for scripts to have it doing the same tasks every session.

I usually do 90% of my work within reason and vcv rack and I always use and map all of the functions I just described with no problems; in bitwig I'm having some issues.

First of all: in reason, if I want to use the midi-learn function with a super knob, I just set an already assigned knob past the point where the super knob (ch.5) starts working (eg 64) and it just works. Bitwig seems to be only seeing the basic knob (ch.1) signal. This wouldn't be a biggie if I could map it manually. Here's where things get tricky: even when I manually map a cc signal, typing in midi channel and CC#, everything seems to get mixed up anyway.

For instance: I tried having a knob (midi channel 1) mapped to a macro knob and the button on that knob (midi channel 2) to activate an effect. Everytime I turn the knob to 100% the effect gets turned on as well and, viceversa, if I toggle the button the macro value also jumps to 100%.
I hope I'm making myself clear. Normally I have the two signal working perfectly independently from one another.

On top of that, I tried to manually map something outside of the device panel (I was testing out mapping a super knob to a channel's gain, just to see how it would have worked) and I can't really find how. I map things manually inside devices using the midi objects, but once I'm out of that panel I can't find any place to map stuff without having to activate the midi-learn feature.

I see how this kind of messages, coming from basically the same physical source, could get mixed up (that was my initial concerned the very first time I ever considered buying a midi fighter twister), but this never happened in any other software I'm using, and I've been testing these features extensively!

I also installed a script for mapping the midi fighter ( https://github.com/Artur-Brahms/Bitwig- ... wister-CME (https://github.com/Artur-Brahms/Bitwig-MidiFighterTwister-CME) this one) in bitwig, when I did that and I adjusted the settings accordingly, although the incoming messages where being received and I could midi-learn, the midi objects in the device panel stopped recognising the incoming CC's from the midi fighter.

So I'm wondering if there's something I should know about having bitwig ready to work with the midi fighter the way I want it to. From what I gather people are using the twister with bitwig so I hope it's just a matter of understanding what I'm missing and fix it.

Anyone here use a twister with bitwig or has any idea of what could be going wrong?

Sorry for the long post, I hope my writing wasn't too convoluted!

I was suggested to try this script https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JjNaviDS5A .

I probably won't have the twister mapping fixed before beginning a project for the time being, I prefer mapping as I go since I mostly end up using it to perform the environment I'm building rather than to speed up my work flow of me setting said environment up, but I'll probably end up trying to build a full on mapping with it as well just to see how it goes.
Anyway, just by being there, this extension allows me to finally map the buttons correctly with zero cross-talk with the knobs, which is great.

Unfortunately I still can't map the supe knobs, it looks like the midi-learn feature in bitwig is simply not receiving those messages and I can't figure out how to map them manually. Anyone here had any luck with that?

You need to use a script which does not map anything to Bitwig functions. But to be honest, since I switched to Bitwig I never touched Midi learn again...
Its better to use performance maps with a dedicated script. Easier and faster to set up. There is a dedicated script for the Midi Fighter Scripter, it has its thread here in the subforum...

thanks for answering, sorry if this all sounds a bit silly, I'm still a bit confused; please bare with me!
first of all, the thread about the dedicated script for midi fighter scripter you're mentioning is the one for the "Control Surface Script for Bitwig Studio - Developed by Artur Brahms" ? cause I've seen that thread, downloaded the script and installed it. I still have the same problems assigning shift encoders and super knobs.

Apart from that, could you elaborate or pointing me in the right direction about what you mean when you talk about using performance map with a dedicated script? Excuse my ignorance but, as far I can understand, you are referring to using scripts to map the twister to different elements in bitwig, right? Using the Brahms' script I can't manage to map shift encoders and super knobs for some reason, with the one I mentioned in the original post (Driven by Moss) I can actually map knobs and shift encoders, but I can't seem to make the super knob respond...

Once again, sorry if this is convoluted, I guess there is some super elementary solution I'm not seeing!
Last edited by ldz on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All right, I think I solved this. I'm using the 'Driven by Moss' script, scripting every knob to a CC channel in bitwig's settings (which is annoying, but seems to be the only way to have this working and be stable) and now the super knobs are being recognised (frankly I'm still no sure about why I couldn't have them working earlier...I simply kept starting from scratch until it somehow worked).

On top of everything, I'm gad to see that, even if I set a knob on shift encoder, I can still have the signal sent by the pressure on the button on a dedicated CC. In other terms I have knob 1 sending its basic signal on CC1, it shift-encoder signal on CC2 and just the button signal on CC3, which is something I never really managed to do in reason (maybe it was possible though...I obviously suck at midi mapping!)

Anyway, thanks for helping

Return to “Controller Scripting”