Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

TheWaveWarden wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:28 am I'm looking for help in sorting out
I'm In! :tu:

My glassybell and vocal pad presets for Odin
Odin-presets1.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spent this whole evening with Odin. Only "issue" I found, was that I ran out of polyphony quite quickly when making pads with unison. Cpu usage can also get quite quickly out of hands :lol:

But omg what a synth.. Easily one of the best freebies in a while :clap:

Question,
After opening the plug-in on Windows10 it creates a folder in the root of my documents called: .config (dot config).
Wouldn't it be nice if the folder was inside a Odin2 folder or even a "The wave Warden/Odin 2/" folder (inside my documents).
It's also a good place for the presets "The wave Warden/Odin 2/Presets".
Love the look and the sound so far.

Is there a way to skin it? An alternative skin might be an interesting thing. Some skin work of mine here: https://stefken.wixsite.com/skins.

I might be in for sorting the patches but I guess it's best that e.g. a couple of people take 150 patches each so the work is distributed.

Not a big deal and probably just stupidity on my part but when I try to install the latest version (2.1.0). My computer asks if I want to replace the dll file, I say yes. And... I still can't open up some presets as I get a message saying I'm still using version 2.0.19. If I delete the old dll and download the new, it still tells me I can't because I'm using 2.0.19 when trying certain presets. Using Reaper 6.08 on the brand new Windows.

RichardSemper wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:35 am I'm In! :tu:
Great! I'll contact you when the update is ready!
Yeager wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:51 pm Question,
After opening the plug-in on Windows10 it creates a folder in the root of my documents called: .config (dot config).
Wouldn't it be nice if the folder was inside a Odin2 folder or even a "The wave Warden/Odin 2/" folder (inside my documents).
It's also a good place for the presets "The wave Warden/Odin 2/Presets".
Love the look and the sound so far.

Yes! The dot makes the folder hidden on linux. Not a very nice name on Windows though ;-)

The patchbrowser update will, however, change the location of the config file (and installed Soundbanks) to a more convenient location.
Stefken wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:42 pm Is there a way to skin it? An alternative skin might be an interesting thing. Some skin work of mine here: <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://stefken.wixsite.com/skins</span>.

I might be in for sorting the patches but I guess it's best that e.g. a couple of people take 150 patches each so the work is distributed.
Skinning is currently not possible, sorry. It would need a considerable amount of work to get it running. However, a lot of people have asked already, so this might be interesting for a future update.
empphryio wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:52 pm Not a big deal and probably just stupidity on my part but when I try to install the latest version (2.1.0). My computer asks if I want to replace the dll file, I say yes. And... I still can't open up some presets as I get a message saying I'm still using version 2.0.19. If I delete the old dll and download the new, it still tells me I can't because I'm using 2.0.19 when trying certain presets. Using Reaper 6.08 on the brand new Windows.
Hmmm, are you 100% sure it isn't 2.0.19? You can tell by clicking on the question-mark button in the top right corner of the GUI. It will tell you the version you're using.

Maybe the 2.0.19 is lurking somewhere on your harddrive still in a different folder?
If you are on 2.1.0 however and the issue persists, then please report back!

I tested in in Tracktion's plugin validator and it crashes. Odin 2.1.0 doesn't seem to like having its state read or something like that.

https://www.tracktion.com/develop/pluginval

Starting test: pluginval / Plugin state...

*** FAILED: VALIDATION CRASHED

4: UnhandledExceptionFilter + 0x1ea
5: memset + 0x1b32
6: _C_specific_handler + 0x96
7: _chkstk + 0x11f
8: RtlRaiseException + 0x399
9: KiUserExceptionDispatcher + 0x2e
10: GetPluginFactory + 0x1a9f0c
11: GetPluginFactory + 0x1ab549
12: GetPluginFactory + 0x16f9d7
27: BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x14
28: RtlUserThreadStart + 0x21
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:57 am The patchbrowser update will, however, change the location of the config file (and installed Soundbanks) to a more convenient location.
:hyper: :tu:

pough wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:53 am I tested in in Tracktion's plugin validator and it crashes. Odin 2.1.0 doesn't seem to like having its state read or something like that.
Yes, I'm aware of this. It has been on my todo list for way too long, but since no "real-world problems" have arisen yet, I didn't investigate until now.

Anyways, thanks for notifying me :tu:

pough wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:53 am I tested in in Tracktion's plugin validator and it crashes. Odin 2.1.0 doesn't seem to like having its state read or something like that.
Actually, your post made me look into the issue and it is fixed now.

It was a rather artificial problem which crashed when setting state (loading DAW project) after the GUI was closed, which wouldn't happen in reality. But it was a bug nonetheless :)

I found this to be a real fun synth to program...however, in the process of experimenting with it, I found, more often than not that the interface could really benefit with some sort of “copy/paste” functionality for elements like oscillators, filters, EGs & LFOs. I’d love to be able to right click over the modules and get a copy & paste dialog. It’d really speed things up, programming-wise.
On a number of Macs

TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:00 pm Actually, your post made me look into the issue and it is fixed now.

It was a rather artificial problem which crashed when setting state (loading DAW project) after the GUI was closed, which wouldn't happen in reality. But it was a bug nonetheless :)
I wonder about that. Maybe that's what Waveform 11 us doing with the VST3 plugins (usually made with JUCE, it seems) that render no audio. It might be doing some state querying and setting for the render process (GUI closed).

I just made a simple project in Waveform 11 with a single instance of Odin 2.1.0 playing a few notes. When I tried to render it, the resulting file was silent and the instance of Odin in the edit was broken. This is behaviour I've seen before with other VST3 plugins.

I'll test with the updated version, too...
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:41 pm I just made a simple project in Waveform 11 with a single instance of Odin 2.1.0 playing a few notes. When I tried to render it, the resulting file was silent and the instance of Odin in the edit was broken. This is behaviour I've seen before with other VST3 plugins.

I'll test with the updated version, too...
Tracktion not rendering audio is another one of my open issues. Maybe you're the original reporter?
Haven't had time for it until now.

Seems weird that JUCE plugins out of all would show this issue. After all JUCE was born out of Traction :)

TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:12 pm Tracktion not rendering audio is another one of my open issues. Maybe you're the original reporter?
Haven't had time for it until now.
No, but I have been discussing it for other plugins in the Tracktion forum. If you manage to solve it, it might get solved for other developers, too. I'm not a programmer (except web stuff) but one thing I have noticed is that most (but not all) of the plugins that render nothing will also trip up in pluginVal. It's consistently at the point where default bus layouts are being restored. I looked at the pluginVal source code and during the tests it requests the default bus layout and saves it to a variable. Then it runs some tests to do with changing the bus layouts. At the end, it tries to restore the default bus layout with that variable and that's where the tests fail.

Getting and restoring bus layouts might be what Waveform is doing that breaks VST3 plugins.

Lines 29 (get) and 54 (set) here:
https://github.com/Tracktion/pluginval/ ... sTests.cpp
TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:12 pm Seems weird that JUCE plugins out of all would show this issue. After all JUCE was born out of Traction :)
I know! But hopefully it will make it easier to track down what's going wrong. Then reporting it to the JUCErs will allow them to push a fix out to all the devs. (fingers crossed)

Return to “Instruments”