Youtube higher demand to upgrade browsers - what is that about?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
Just wonder what kind of features it is that Google are so anxious that we must upgrade every browser. Not even MSIE 11 on windows 7 get passed that warning.

Is it more spyware features they need to track everybody where they go, or what?

I'm not getting it anywhere else of this sort. Just "for best experience" crap they feed us here and there. Nothing about stop working.

I started doing everything offline on YT lately, so will not need to stream and browse so much once having urls, but anyway. I just download it and play back on some player in computer.

Thanks.

It's mostly about supporting modern web standards. Supporting older browsers takes a lot of effort and workarounds.

IE is AbandonWare. You need to switch, at least to Edge. It's about protocols, underlying technology and security. And under the hood Edge uses the same rendering engine as Chrome.

Here's an overview site of html and css feature support in browsers that programmers use:
https://caniuse.com/
Just the sheer need of it shows how far apart the dialects in html & css have drifted in todays browsers.

If website builders stuck with the lowest common denominator instead of cutting edge, nothing would ever move.

Also Win7 is a dead end, but there probably is no point trying to convince you.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

You have the computers and OS you have - and is not going to get new computers or smartphones because somebody says so - if they are fully working, which they are 95% of places I visit.

Some continue to work if you tell you are something else, like with http header "User-Agent". I use the plugins for user agent switcher for that.

I installed Opera v65 a while ago, and it failed to login here on KVR, so that is no way to do. I even got ip banned here - since too many failed logged in.

Somebody decide to alienate existing platforms, and some people just do what they are told - upgrade or buy new.
There is an expression "only dead fish float down along the stream".
And I'm not "dead" nor "fish" yet.

So just curious how this Youtube thing would actually bring "better experience".
I've seen on some apps for Android, that they became half or less in size with later OS versions. So guess more things built into OS and not replicated in each app.

So maybe this is for browsers as well, just wondered. :)

You should get a bit into web developing. Then you would seriously overthink your beliefs. ;) There's new tech surfacing by the minute. Use a old browser and of course it won't be able to use all that new tech. In the best case, the web developer thought about you and your old browser, and display some kind of message that you should update, or activate a feature, in the worst case, the site won't run at all.

Or do you think your old Windows 98 computer will be able to run the latest generation of soft synths as well?

I'm still on my XP(writing this for one) from time to time run DOS applications from the 80's, so think MS has been really, really good at backwards compatibility. This comes through in Xbox as well, where quite a large number of 360 games run on Xbox One.

How much of newer things on sites all over internet are really requested by end users, one wonders.
Amazon got worse in my view, I used to be able and browser 4 BD/DVD products a row to quickly see what is new since 1-3 months back. Since I now only get one column there are loads more pages I have to browse. And most is just space, just a design thingy - small text in a huge space.

I have 2 main places I used to use for price comparison and also find quickest route on map - and they both completely broken and does not look any better, just taking longer to load. Seems to be made for those with 100 mps or more.

No daily papers I can stand using their sites due to all the crap that is loading, videos that autoplay and whatnot. Some of this obviosly due to using 16 year old, not current, cpu, but still.

What used to be my main bank they have been going on now for 5 years moving over to their new site, and still not all functions are in place. It's actually more cluttered and not as clear and intuitive to use.

These are all steps to alienate me, at least. I don't call it progress even when you loose functionality.
There are certainly sales people making these sales of new platforms - but wonder if they do any good.

KVR here has always been good in choices they did, good visibility for ads without destroying the place. And cpu fans does not go up in speed coming here.

lfm wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:15 am How much of newer things on sites all over internet are really requested by end users, one wonders.
It doesn't matter what end users request. Things will develop anyway. There's so much room for improvement, of for new web technologies that you can't just push a button and say "halt". That's also not how humans are wired. Otherwise we'd still live in caves.

IME they tend to make exactly the opposite of what users request, particularly microsoft :lol:

lfm wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:15 am How much of newer things on sites all over internet are really requested by end users, one wonders.
Amazon got worse in my view, I used to be able and browser 4 BD/DVD products a row to quickly see what is new since 1-3 months back. Since I now only get one column there are loads more pages I have to browse. And most is just space, just a design thingy - small text in a huge space.

I have 2 main places I used to use for price comparison and also find quickest route on map - and they both completely broken and does not look any better, just taking longer to load. Seems to be made for those with 100 mps or more.

No daily papers I can stand using their sites due to all the crap that is loading, videos that autoplay and whatnot. Some of this obviosly due to using 16 year old, not current, cpu, but still.

What used to be my main bank they have been going on now for 5 years moving over to their new site, and still not all functions are in place. It's actually more cluttered and not as clear and intuitive to use.

These are all steps to alienate me, at least. I don't call it progress even when you loose functionality.
There are certainly sales people making these sales of new platforms - but wonder if they do any good.
These could be all examples of companies trying to keep their websites backwards compatible with older browsers and computers and you might not have these issues using a modern browser.

Does it still work? Kind of. Will you get the best user experience? Definitely not.

It will only gets worse over time.

There's so much wrong with the internet these days. Cookie walls stopping you from simply reading some plain text article, required by our own politicians.
No doubt some websites are run and designed by people with only their own interest in mind. But being egotistical is nothing new. On the counterside, Value Driven Development where adding value for the customer of your website is put central, is very much a thing nowadays. In theory...
But I digress.

Youtube has a particulary bad track record concerning backward compatibility and caring about the user. For example, around 2010 I bought a dvd / blueray player with the guts of a SmartTv. When connected to the net, it could show GoogleMaps and YouTube videos. One of the updates removed the youtube app from the device. No idea why.

In 2012 I got a BlackBerry "Playbook" tablet. It had a working youtube app, and a modern web browser (html5 / css3 support, WebKit engine)
Within a year the youtube app did not function anymore. Some months later the browser also stopped showing youtube videos. Youtube had unilaterally broken the API contract. Despite OS updates youtube never worked anymore.

Evolution in technology just moves so fast...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Yes, firmware in players, like a BD I have is also like that - they just don't bother maintaining firmware to keep up with changes on the web. I bought it 2016, and last firmware update was 2014 - one thing to check before purchase. Lesson learned....soon it's next years model and the rest is left as is....

It comes down to tracking information on users. I've read that Edge is based in part on Chrome and that Edge's replacement is even more-so. YouTube is owned by Google - as is Chrome. I think there is a pattern there. It's extremely irritating trying to find a browser that works anymore that isn't tied to the big companies. I had Edge on my two windows 8.1 x64 machines and just removed it because of it's unstable operation. Fortunately I can still install Firefox. Funny how Edge works fine in my Windows 10 machine...almost like they're pushing me to upgrade my OS to windows 10...which will require buying new hardware in some cases. it just never ends...
Dave

Old browsers do not support HTML 5.

BertKoor wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:55 am IE is AbandonWare.
Not if your day job is working in local government IT unfortunately. We're still having to support a large number of users on Windows 7 and IE 11 for many reasons not least because certain enterprise software has those requirements and things change at a glacial pace, but also because we've been underfunded for years so unless a change can't be helped it gets hit into the long grass. We only got rid of IE6 as a standard about five years ago IIRC.

Obviously in my own life I've not used IE for a decade. Big apps removing compatibility for dead software actually helps those of us trying to fight for procuring system upgrades because we can use that as a good argument.

Thankfully we're just now at the point where we are about to standardise on Win 10 on desktops and Server 2019 on virtual servers, but I don't do much with web applications directly (I mostly build backend integration code) so not 100% sure, but I think it's now a range of browsers permitted provided they are up to date. It's mostly about coding against something that's properly HTML5 and CSS3 compliant.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

des wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:37 am It comes down to tracking information on users. I've read that Edge is based in part on Chrome and that Edge's replacement is even more-so. YouTube is owned by Google - as is Chrome. I think there is a pattern there. It's extremely irritating trying to find a browser that works anymore that isn't tied to the big companies. I had Edge on my two windows 8.1 x64 machines and just removed it because of it's unstable operation. Fortunately I can still install Firefox. Funny how Edge works fine in my Windows 10 machine...almost like they're pushing me to upgrade my OS to windows 10...which will require buying new hardware in some cases. it just never ends...
Old Edge is not Chromium
New Edge is Chromium, not Chrome.
New Edge is faster than Chrome and takes less memory and CPU while doing so...

Anyway, I'll continue to use some other browsers than those :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”