Possible scam buyer! Using PayPal Friends & Family = NO PROTECTION if you get scammed

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:51 pm
Holon Mundi wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:56 am
LeVzi wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:02 am
The last seller I dealt with didn't have a clue and would probably have complained if I hadn't added the fees on. I did that with someone else who asked for F&F and I forgot, I was happy to give them the additional...

PP can be a pain in the butt at times.
Yes. I heard a lot about how PP are unreliable in their communication and ?..
It’s been rather a nightmare more than once, takes a long damn time... (this was me buying something I never got, some glitch on their part probably)
It’s made me actually consider setting up a website, which is all shit I’d prefer not...
Thanks for clarifying. They have held money I have received for months while being unreachable because my account was coupled with a phone number from a different country since I had moved. I think it's pretty much up to us to do detective work before doing business and share our experiences.

jjj
Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How much the fee is now?! It seems to climb gradually!! First as I remember was about 3% then 4 and now?

Off topic, how much the fee with e-bay? Here we have a similar service in NZ (trademe) and it's about 10% when you sell something! :mad:

I miss old newspapers classified ads! :(

PayPal fees seem like a roll of the dice every time, especially Euros (essentially doubles the price when buying for me).

Here's an example from last year, even when the exchange rate was better than it is now:

Over 30% fee.

I think the culprit is the fixed fee of 6,99 NZD. Each country has different fees. Funnily enough, when I try to see the fees for my country, it redirects to UK page.

Thank you! I should have RTFM...

Elon Musk has a lot more to answer for than just polluting the night sky with mesmerizing satellite trains :D
Last edited by MogwaiBoy on Sat May 23, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Damn! it looks so random and unfair! We really need to find another alternative (it is the curse of capitalism it seems! we keep moving from one company to another!).

Yeah, it's quite opaque and confusing. They should at least have a proper fee calculator or something. There are plenty of PayPal fee calculators out there, but most of those seem to be based on the fees for US citizens. I remember when I bought a plugin from someone here on KVR and they asked me to add the fee. I based my calculations on US fees and because of this the seller received less money. Luckily for me the difference was small enough that I got a pass on this one. :) But as a new member with few posts I could've easily been seen as a scammer.

Hey guys, i just recieved a payment and it didnt show up in my balance. is this something to worry about???

kavin2134 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:33 am Hey guys, i just recieved a payment and it didnt show up in my balance. is this something to worry about???
Sometimes, and maybe with newer accounts, it takes a while for Paypal to release the funds. Not sure how Paypal determines this though and you should be able to find this on the Paypal support site.

I raised a fairly high amount, partly using PP recently and it took a week to see it. If you are about to click transfer on a Sunday, wait till Monday. On Monday you may well see it same day, do it on Sunday can take several days. This has been consistent enough to be a truism.

I had problems with Paypal just this past week. They took 7 days to process my payment because they had the account type wrong, and then tried taking that payment out of my account twice on the same day.
I thankfully did not have enough money in that account for the second payment (I have a debit account only for online), but my bank charged me a dishonor fee. I talked with Paypal Help (who only said they would not do it again this week) and with my bank.
My bank said several years ago Paypal had a more advanced and secure system than the banks for transferring money, but they have not invested in updating it and so they are now worse in both security and transfer than most banks. They also said the Paypal authorization agreement exposes me to unnecessary risk if I have a dispute with Paypal itself (not with 3rd party sellers), and gave me real examples.
They advised me to stop using Paypal because it adds risk, costs and delays. After my payment was successfully processed, I tried deauthorising my account, but Paypal would not allow it.
To be continued....
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

What would be good, secure and cheap alternatives for Paypal that can be as easily used by everyone, almost everywhere?

Blaster wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:34 pm What would be good, secure and cheap alternatives for Paypal that can be as easily used by everyone, almost everywhere?
Yes

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

AFAIK nothing equals Paypal yet, particularly for international payments. Search ‘PayPal alternatives’ for examples. In the future I may only link a debit card number, not an account; cards also transfer much faster.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”