RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

I do like Rapid's PM from osc, it can make some interesting textures, but i can't seem to nail these ripping aggressive tones that can be made in Serum by FMing one osc from another. E.g., like the sounds in this video.

https://youtu.be/semigU37_2I

The best results i got with Rapid were with wavetables which already had been FMed.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

You could also try mimicking the wavefold with hard sync on the mod osc

exmatproton wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:40 am
Mirko R. wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:10 am
vertibration wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:21 am I dont know if this has been requested besides Venus Theory on his youtube Rapid video, but I want to request being able to FM oscillators. This is kind of super important
Rapid has a regular PM since v1.0 and a "PM from osc" since v1.6 in the osc insert section. PM and FM works in different ways but creates the same results. ;)
Well, no. It can create similar results, but because of the workings it can act quite different and create different results.
But only when you have DCs in you source waveform. That's the only difference. For example if you are using just a static DC as source, the target osc will increase the pitch when using FM. PM just offsets the phase. But if you're using regular waveforms without DC, the results are pretty the same.

Mirko R. wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 am
exmatproton wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:40 am
Mirko R. wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:10 am
vertibration wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:21 am I dont know if this has been requested besides Venus Theory on his youtube Rapid video, but I want to request being able to FM oscillators. This is kind of super important
Rapid has a regular PM since v1.0 and a "PM from osc" since v1.6 in the osc insert section. PM and FM works in different ways but creates the same results. ;)
Well, no. It can create similar results, but because of the workings it can act quite different and create different results.
But only when you have DCs in you source waveform. That's the only difference. For example if you are using just a static DC as source, the target osc will increase the pitch when using FM. PM just offsets the phase. But if you're using regular waveforms without DC, the results are pretty the same.
Agreed :)

Anyway; the way it is implemented in Rapid is very cool. I love that each osc can receive the signals from the other 2 osc's. That is quite unique. Love it

focusrite wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:39 am You could also try mimicking the wavefold with hard sync on the mod osc
Thanks, that was a great tip!

Still, FM in Serum sounds clean and hard, PM in Rapid tends to sound either too tame or too noisy/lo fi. Hard to find a sweet spot for these psy sounds.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:23 pm For the Faithless sound, you can follow this video to try to replicate it... maybe Parawave can apply this as one of the default multi-samples, using this technique as a freebie, once the pending update is done... or one can do it themselves if they really need it. There is the free online Audio Tool program in addition to a how to on creating this with the included synth, but you could try to apply the same techniques to Dune 2 or Hive 2 for example as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y-mmc8a4Po

https://audiotool.fandom.com/wiki/Famou ... s%27_pluck

Add a heisenberg,
Put the unisono amount to 2,
Set the oscillators A and B to a square wave,
Set the gain of oscillators A and B to 0.000dB,
Enable the tempo synchronization,
On the main envelope, set an attack time of 1/256,
Set an attack bend of 58.36%,
Set an decay time of 1/24 (default),
Set an decay bend of 75.00%,
Set a sustain of 0.00%,
Set a release time of 1/256,
Set a release bend of 75.00%,
Set the cutoff of the main envelope to 100.000%,
Set the filter cutoff to 0.000%,
Link the heisenberg to a stereo enhancer,
Put the tone around 35.92%,
Put the stereo enhancer to 100.000%,
Link the stereo enhancer to a second stereo enhancer,
Put the tone around 66.67%,
Put the stereo enhancer to 100.000%,
Link the second stereo enhancer to a reverb pedal,
Put the room size around 170.00ms,
Put the level around 41.00%,
Play several notes at the same time.
Thanks for this link! :)

recursive one wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:30 am
focusrite wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:39 am You could also try mimicking the wavefold with hard sync on the mod osc

Still, FM in Serum sounds clean and hard, PM in Rapid tends to sound either too tame or too noisy/lo fi. Hard to find a sweet spot for these psy sounds.
Serum is a synth synonymous with clean, hard sounds (love it or hate it!)...it probably wont be beaten on that front....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:51 am

Serum is a synth synonymous with clean, hard sounds (love it or hate it!)...it probably wont be beaten on that front....
IMO the award for that goes to phaseplant by a country mile

focusrite wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:12 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:51 am

IMO the award for that goes to phaseplant by a country mile
I think PhasePlant has differently "clean" sound, but yes, after my experience Serum + PhasePlant both have clean sounds.

Just an example how Rapids PM sounds like. This is just a little test, where I tried different things. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJgYSQ0gcg

So because it's relevant: Serum's "FM" warp modes are also just phase modulation. As far as I can tell the only real difference is that Serum's "100%" is a higher FM amount than Rapid's. Just by ear-testing Sine>Sine, it sounds like Rapid's 100% is around Serum's 60%. And in the video recursive posted, all the modulation is well above that 60% range.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Just a very few synths offering real freq modulation as it is really hard to control and gives 99% nonsense unuseable noise...
Nearly all of FM synths are using Phase modulation (or like i.e. Phase Plant offering both) instead as it is way more useful and easier to use

But it´s true... Rapid is offering a lot of a smaller range and cannot be driven as far as Phase Plant or Serum...

Mirko R. wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:02 pm Just an example how Rapids PM sounds like. This is just a little test, where I tried different things. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJgYSQ0gcg
This sounds cool, thanks for posting. Will try to copy your settings.

I believe no one said about ARP edit (I can wrong). So, it would be really useful to allow us to change the velocity by vertical note dragging and add the ability to draw notes without releasing the mouse button. We can extend particular notes after if we want it, first - we need to catch the melody.

Please, consider implementing it in the nearest update, at least I don't see intersections among controls so I suppose it won't take much time to implement it.

Want to mention that, overall, Rapid force me to make too many clicks on special value boxes, I think that's because of the developer mindset :)

When is the update dropping, looking forward to trying out the granular features...

Return to “Instruments”