Uhbik 2.0 - Concepts & Roadmap

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:48 am
lilith93 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:26 pmI guess there are no linux versions of 2.0 yet, at least I didn't find any alpha versions, right?
That's quite likely, we've recently only updated Linux installers of some of our current products.
When I buy the old version the upgrade is still for free? And how long is the special price valid?
Yes, upgrade from v1 to v2 will be free. V1 pricing will end when v2 is released. Our estimated release timing is off though, we had to juggle a few things lately.
Thank you! :hyper:

Urs wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:48 am Yes, upgrade from v1 to v2 will be free. V1 pricing will end when v2 is released. Our estimated release timing is off though, we had to juggle a few things lately.
What is somewhat the ballpark of the release?

Does it more look like next month or the end of the year?

Wouldn‘t want to be taken by surprise considering I never had the chance to even demo it but I am VERY interested in modulation capabilities in a rack.. :x

No worries, you wouldn't miss it. We'll surely do a public-beta round once we have everything implemented for that specific version. I don't think there'd be a surprise moment as we do that for the sake of open dialog, as with everything that happens right here.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Just stumbled on this and really excited to see what the Rack will have to offer!

Kind of have given up on Soundtoys ever adding any Modulation/Macro Functionalities to theirs :neutral: Any news when this will be testable for the public?

Solmano wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:28 pm Just stumbled on this and really excited to see what the Rack will have to offer!

Kind of have given up on Soundtoys ever adding any Modulation/Macro Functionalities to theirs :neutral: Any news when this will be testable for the public?
As I wrote in another thread the other day: We currently have a large construction area in "adding external side chaining", because Uhbiks are surround capable and we're navigating pretty unchartered territory with multichannel audio and external side chaining...

Public testing was pretty close - almost in reach - before we went there. We had even had a rough time table for internal beta testing mapped out. I hope we're back on track in two weeks or so and then maybe we can tentatively give estimates.

Anyhow, there's a lot going on here, our UI design has worked extra weeks to figure out good ways to keep the rack version accessible. There will need to be compromises, but I do think we're coming out with a really cool and *comprehensive* multi effect unit, going way beyond what I had in mind ten years ago.

Sounds amazing, I can’t wait 😊

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to see what Modulation/Splitting/Macro functions will make it in the final product, exciting times :)

As there is going to be a rack, does that mean that there will be CV routing and LFO connectivity options provided on the rear side of the effect devices as well in the same way the Reason Rack extensions you released many moons ago ? This would be really cool and also much better than using the Reason Rack VST plugin which doesn't scale up in resolution and one would need to buy also.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Speaking of soft limiter, wouldn't it be more professional to add an option to calibrate the plugins to different, classic values? Kinda like Klanghelm plugins which are calibrated for -18dB RMS input. You could have 0, -6, -12, -18, and -20dB RMS calibration values. People who use hardware get a lower input into the DAW, and people who use gain-staging usually use -18dB RMS as a reference.

I often find it hard to combine plugins with hardware because plugins have to be turned down considerably to match, especially synths. Yes, I just turn down the track volume considerably, because that's the most efficient way to deal with it. :wink:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Uhbik-G request: much longer grain time and host syncable. Thanks.

+1 for longer grain times...

Borderlands is my new favorite granular synth!!

Urs wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:14 pm Anyhow, there's a lot going on here, [...] There will need to be compromises, but I do think we're coming out with a really cool and *comprehensive* multi effect unit, going way beyond what I had in mind ten years ago.
I´m happy for Uhbik that it gets so much love. I use it quite often. BUT as I´m waiting for Zebra3 (for a loooooooong time now... :roll: ) I would have wished the focus would have stayed on Zebra3 (after Hive,...).

I know, probably Uhbik is a playground to try out some new code (like Hive was partially).... BUT as this playground needs to be a whole experience/a final VST, I guess there is also a ton of work that doesn´t correlate to Zebra and just adds time to the whole process without much, if any benefit for Zebra.

I could imagine that the free Upgrade offer from Zebra2 to Zebra3 is quite some challange for a company that still needs to pay the employees... and I understand that decision are sometimes made with a higher goal in mind.

BUT I also need to say, that I´m a little bit dissapointed that yet again another project seem to take over the focus (rack version of Uhbik). But mostly I´m dissapointed in the lack of urgency u-he seem to have towards the update of Zebra3...

Zebra2 is an old fart, the Functions/UX/UI in other synths are so much better and deeper that recently I find myself not using Zebra anymore... (especially since MSoundFactory came arround)
For me it´s an "Armutszeugnis" that the once so allmighty synth, the swiss army knife for sounddesign and my main workspace got retired by other companies due to lack of modernization. YYIIIKKKKESSS...

Please don´t take the following too serious :hug: :D :
Never forget where you´re coming from! Zebra was once the poster-child for u-he... then Diva came along... and all changed... (women, haaa?!?!)
Everyone knows more than I do...

I don’t know, the complete GUI overhaul really improved my understanding of and experience with Z2. To me, that feels like a Z3 already. Also, Z2 has had quite a few additions since initial release.

I‘m personally very glad that Cpt. Urs and his ragged crew finally take the time to realize the initial vision for UHBIK, which, from my perspective, was pushed back time and again.

I don’t hold a grudge, because that gave me the time to get into their synths and seriously enjoy them a lot. I started a guitar player only and am fundamentally changed. But I think UHBIK fans have waited longer and it’s nice we‘re being taken care of.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Urs wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:14 pm
Solmano wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:28 pm Just stumbled on this and really excited to see what the Rack will have to offer!

As I wrote in another thread the other day: We currently have a large construction area in "adding external side chaining", because Uhbiks are surround capable and we're navigating pretty unchartered territory with multichannel audio and external side chaining...

Public testing was pretty close - almost in reach - before we went there. We had even had a rough time table for internal beta testing mapped out. I hope we're back on track in two weeks or so and then maybe we can tentatively give estimates.

Anyhow, there's a lot going on here, our UI design has worked extra weeks to figure out good ways to keep the rack version accessible. There will need to be compromises, but I do think we're coming out with a really cool and *comprehensive* multi effect unit, going way beyond what I had in mind ten years ago.
:o

Can’t believe it’s been 10 years!

Lemme say a few things.

In the past +/- two years we did a few rather successful sales - against our stance on the topic. However, we knew that if we ever wanted to update Uhbik and Zebra, we'd need to be able to spend a lot of time, with possibly (most likely!) a lesser outcome in revenue than that of releasing a new product. In order to be able to forgo making new products we had to build up some cash, hence the sales.

And now is the rollercoaster that 2020 is. We are exceptionally lucky that we planned like we did. The global slow down is visible everywhere, including our pace with Uhbik (and the remaining Bazille maintenance update and, of course, Zebra3). The new situation is kind of bleak, but it's also a time of learning and reorganising. Some people we wanted to hire we simply can't hire because of distancing, and one developer has even left us. But all of it isn't as bad, because we had planned for a drought.

As you might know from some of our competitors, sales had been soaring at the beginning of the crisis as everyone had a lot of time on their hands and needed new toys during stay at home. This seems to be turning now. I suppose that people run out of money and double check what they spend it on. Naturally, music software takes the back seat. We expect this to intensify over the next one, two years. But again, we're prepared as far as our finances are concerned and we hope that everyone out there gets safely back to some kind of normal sooner rather than later.

On a personal level, many of us at u-he enjoy the slower pace - I certainly do. Due to remote work, the people who always work remotely are now closer to us than ever, through chats and video. We think this might reflect back onto our work, we're rushing less and thinking things through more consequently.

Anyhow, this is why we hadn't been able to rush a new beta. I think we're bringing it to a whole new level again with the things we've been refining. It takes time, now more than ever, but we'll eventually get there.

- U

Return to “u-he”