Uhbik 2.0 - Concepts & Roadmap

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think u-he is not charging enough for paid updates to existing plugins. I bought Zebra 2 a long long time ago and have never paid a penny since and it has been updated and improved over the years more than any synth that comes to mind... certainly more than any synth that has not had a single paid upgrade

Zebra 3 is going to end up taking more development time than any of the recently released plugins and yet each sale will bring in significantly less money. If you add up the development time towards Zebra from the release of v2 through the release of v3 that is a vast amount of resources and total income from that ends up $30. How can that support the company? (maybe it can... I suck at business so pay not attention to me... hehehe)

At least offer a $60 upgrade option for the people who think you guys are nuts and want to support you! :lol: :hihi: :lol:

Urs wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:08 pm Lemme say a few things.

In the past +/- two years we did a few rather successful sales - against our stance on the topic. However, we knew that if we ever wanted to update Uhbik and Zebra, we'd need to be able to spend a lot of time, with possibly (most likely!) a lesser outcome in revenue than that of releasing a new product. In order to be able to forgo making new products we had to build up some cash, hence the sales.

And now is the rollercoaster that 2020 is. We are exceptionally lucky that we planned like we did. The global slow down is visible everywhere, including our pace with Uhbik (and the remaining Bazille maintenance update and, of course, Zebra3). The new situation is kind of bleak, but it's also a time of learning and reorganising. Some people we wanted to hire we simply can't hire because of distancing, and one developer has even left us. But all of it isn't as bad, because we had planned for a drought.

As you might know from some of our competitors, sales had been soaring at the beginning of the crisis as everyone had a lot of time on their hands and needed new toys during stay at home. This seems to be turning now. I suppose that people run out of money and double check what they spend it on. Naturally, music software takes the back seat. We expect this to intensify over the next one, two years. But again, we're prepared as far as our finances are concerned and we hope that everyone out there gets safely back to some kind of normal sooner rather than later.

On a personal level, many of us at u-he enjoy the slower pace - I certainly do. Due to remote work, the people who always work remotely are now closer to us than ever, through chats and video. We think this might reflect back onto our work, we're rushing less and thinking things through more consequently.

Anyhow, this is why we hadn't been able to rush a new beta. I think we're bringing it to a whole new level again with the things we've been refining. It takes time, now more than ever, but we'll eventually get there.

- U
I hope my response didn't trigger anything... I was more marveling at how quickly time passes by. I remember Uhbik teases prior to the beta like it was yesterday (and to say it that way is a little scary). I remember going through a heavy Philip K. Dick period and this release bumped up Ubik in my queue.

The slower pace is healthier (although I can't say I know it well, since I'm working twice as much compared to when I worked out in the real world).

And 1-2 years seems about right (sadly).

elxsound wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:55 pmI hope my response didn't trigger anything...
I think it was more the general thing about Z3 and Uhbik, also the thread in Instruments, and also the itch to tell people that we're fine and working on it, but we're also not there yet.

I'm also quite happy that many people, including me, can go on working at a slower - and most important healthier - pace than previously, but what I continue to wonder in surprise (not only about U-he) is how can this slower pace be compatible with the need of income and, even more important, if it is compatible, why the hell didn't we all figured it out before :)

- Mario
Last edited by mabian on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mabian wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:41 am I'm also quite happy that many people, including me, can go on working at a slower - and healthier most important - pace then previously, but what I continue to wonder in surprise (not only about U-he) is how can this slower pace be compatible with the need of incomes and, even more important, if it is compatible, why the hell didn't we all figured it out before :)

- Mario
Ironically... many are rushing to return to the previous way of working.

I have just purchased uhbik and installed 2.0, but as a new user I wonder if I shouldn't be using 1.0 untill 2.0 is officially released. I don't really mind the lack of presets on some of the 2.0 modules as I prefer to make my own anyway.
Are there any other reasons to chose one over the other?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

i've been using 2.0 since it came out, and i bought it because i couldn't get on with 1.0 interfaces, so i use 2.0 and keep using it.
some projects were already finished with it, if some miniscule things change when it gets to final i don't care - one or two tweaks before export happens anyway if a project sits long enough :)

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 pm i've been using 2.0 since it came out, and i bought it because i couldn't get on with 1.0 interfaces, so i use 2.0 and keep using it.
some projects were already finished with it, if some miniscule things change when it gets to final i don't care - one or two tweaks before export happens anyway if a project sits long enough :)
Thanks! I'll probably stay with 2.0

Just be aware that some of the new features (like the modulation section) might change a little bit, since those things are still being refined.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:53 pm Just be aware that some of the new features (like the modulation section) might change a little bit, since those things are still being refined.
Ok, I'll bear that in mind, thank you.

+1 for VST3 sidechain inputs
+1 for multiband
Other suggestions I have would be:
Mid Side processing.
A wet/dry knob or a way to route the dry signal independently in the rack.
Oversampling and offline oversampling options.
Last edited by r1_000 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw some earlier suggested a saturation module. Is there any likelihood for that and/or distortion, waveshaping in the near future for Uhbik?

Also, I love Zebra 2's comb filter. I don't see a comb filter fitting easily into the first iteration of Runciter with its convenient low-pass, band-pass, high-pass parameters, but I wonder.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Urs wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:45 pm Use the envelope as source for the Sample & Hold. So now you can add a random S&H modulation that's in sync with the rhythmic pattern.
This sounds great but I don't see any option to choose envelope as source for the Sample & Hold (only mod and pitch wheels, Control A/B, LFOs & ModMapper).

nirm123 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:53 am
Urs wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:45 pm Use the envelope as source for the Sample & Hold. So now you can add a random S&H modulation that's in sync with the rhythmic pattern.
This sounds great but I don't see any option to choose envelope as source for the Sample & Hold (only mod and pitch wheels, Control A/B, LFOs & ModMapper).
Oi, really? I could swear this was already in current betas.

Good thing is, work on CVilization is (mostly) finished on my part, I'm currently having a little break (beach vacation with little fun project as an excuse to stay in air conditioned place - speeding up some things for Uhbik, Hive and Z3), and then I'll be all Uhbiks with bit of Bazille and Hive sprinkled on top to get the final phase jump started.

Urs wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:17 pm
nirm123 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:53 am
Oi, really? I could swear this was already in current betas.

Good thing is, work on CVilization is (mostly) finished on my part, I'm currently having a little break (beach vacation with little fun project as an excuse to stay in air conditioned place - speeding up some things for Uhbik, Hive and Z3), and then I'll be all Uhbiks with bit of Bazille and Hive sprinkled on top to get the final phase jump started.
oh yes !!! thanks !!! although still in alpha I'm already using uhbik 2 in all of my songs, best multi fx ever created.

I've never waited for a plugin release so eagerly (not even Z3 !).

a genius piece of work, totally inspiring and the added modulations are so superb. one really doesn't need any other effect (I've sold most of my effects after purchasing uhbik).

people are aware of how great are u-he synths but I want to yell to the world about uhbik greatness, it's really one of a kind.

Return to “u-he”