One Synth Challenge #136: Odin 2 by The Wave Warden (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

doctorbob wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:40 pm
MalToné wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:52 pm Right? Mall music is like from H-E-double-toothpicks...
I was sort of referring to the music shop where they get a guy in to demo one of (or more than one) organs/keyboards and he fires up a preset backing and plays along ... and the muzak seems to resound around the mall (or shopping centre over this side of the pond!!).

However, the track in reality starts with the bass and keys players starting up a basic sequence, the guitarist finds his way in and then the drummer finally gets the message. Once they are all playing, you get a melody played on a Kazoo (or paper and a comb!!!), and then the middle solo on a Hammond style organ with a touch of Leslie! If any of that makes sense, but maybe I am just out of my mind?

dB
Thanks for that and for sharing your track. You sure paint a vivid picture in sound and in words! Is there anything to the revenge part of the title?
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

MalToné wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:23 am Thanks for that and for sharing your track. You sure paint a vivid picture in sound and in words! Is there anything to the revenge part of the title?
Just Odin's answer to all the very very bad mall music ... at least you can smile when you hear it rather than grimace! :) :party:

db

My Odin 2 piece:

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/ontrack ... tted-again

What a fun and terrific free synth - thank you The WaveWarden! I will submit some feature requests onto the instrument thread. This turned out to be kind of a continuation of a previous OSC entry (Hello From the Asylum). Around 50 instances in Logic Pro X, using Logic reverbs, delay, compressors. Other free plugs Nova, Limiter No6, OTT. Enjoy!

And of course, thanks to BJ and Richard for keeping the OSC going.

my entry for this round:

https://soundcloud.com/keith303/keith30 ... w-sealevel

DAW: Renoise
Instruments used: 14x Odin2 VSTi
Samples used: n/a
DSP used:
9x Renoise Analog Filter, 4x Renoise Digital Filter, 14x Renoise EQ 10, 8x Renoise MultiTap Delay, 3x Valhalla Supermassive, 4x Epicverb, 1x Smartelectronix Ambience, 3x Xfer OTT, 4x TDR Kotelnikov, 1x Loudmax, 1x Voxengo SPAN

Quite a beefy and well sounding synth. Thanks for your effort, wavewarden!
Finally i had a good reason to max out the overclock of my CPU.

Here's my submission.

https://soundcloud.com/3lu5iv3/pointless-banana

DAW: Reaper 6.12c

10x Odin2

Builtin Effects

2x ReaEQ
1x Goniometer
1x Event Horizon Limiter/Clipper
1x Reacomp

External Effects

2x Xfer OTT
1x Tritik Krush
1x Voxengo SPAN
1x Hofa 4U ProjectTime
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Will you give the presets you use ? I'mastinished by them !
photonic wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:36 pm Hi all,

Here comes my entry. It is an imaginary soundtrack to a short film about Asgard, the home world of Odin. As you see, this time it is not just one single song as usual. I had so many ideas and sounds, so I decided to devide the track in 4 movements.

Movement 1 - Crossing Bifröst
Bifröst is the rainbow bridge from Midgard (which stands for our Earth) to Asgard. You have to cross it to get to Asgard.

Movement 2 - The twelve Palaces
Asgard is surrounded by an impregnable wall. Inside there are the twelve palaces, where all the gods live.

Movement 3 - Memory of the Fallen
In this world of gods, they can die. So there are always some to grieve for.

Movement 4 - The War Horns
You don't want to hear that sound. Because it means that the battle is about to begin!

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/photo ... -to-asgard

Odin2 is really a big monster synth. Endless potential! Thanx so much for this great instrument to The WaveWarden :tu: :clap: :tu:

The only problem I had was the CPU hunger, especially with unison. So I made the sound design with a certain unison value, but during composing and arranging I turned all unison down to 1. Nevertheless I often had some mutes and crackles when too many notes are playing at the same time. But those mutes were not allways at the same point and at any time I played the track. I think the PC was not allways too busy to handle the data.
When the arrangement of the movments were done, I set all unison to the desired values and I froze all single tracks. This gave me perfect wave files for each instrument, easy to mix afterwards.

Done in Reaper v5.99

Movement 1 - Crossing Bifröst 16 x Odin2
Movement 2 - The twelve Palaces 14 x Odin2
Movement 3 - Memory of the Fallen 3 x Odin2
Movement 4 - The War Horns 23 x Odin2

Dynamics: ReaComp, TDR NOVA, Transpire, TDR Kotelnikov
Filter: ReaEQ, Thrillseeker XTC, Thrillseeker VBL, GreenEugene
Reverb: Dragonfly Room and Hall
Satturation: BassProfessorII

Master: ReaEQ, MQ57, ReaComp, TDR Kotelnikov, SPAN

Lean back, close your eyes and enjoy the film :wink:
See you in Valhalla!

TheWaveWarden wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:28 am I just posted the current presets over at the OSC thread:

Here's the current batch of presets.

I ask you to not redistribute them in any way.

I didn't sort the weaker ones out yet, I didn't adjust levels, didn't rename them, etc.

I categorized them roughly, but I probably miscategorized half of them :D

I'm looking for help in sorting out

The patchbrowser & installers are almost finished. Once they are I will start sorting out. Since everyone is biased obviously I'd like someone who is open minded to all kinds of sounds / styles to sort simultaneously. That way we can compare the results afterwards and maybe give one preset or the other a second chance.

Keep in mind: Right now there are 580 patches, and I'd expect that person to give every patch a chance (i.e. test it for ~30 secs, different octaves / as a pad / lead etc.). So this is a lot of work!
It seems to be all there. This is a post from the beta testers topic.

*At least there are some awesome presets from Photonic and Eauson. He wrote about the piano a few pages ago.

diaseis wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 pm Will you give the presets you use ? I'mastinished by them ! ...
Yes I will. My plan is that I wait for the next release of Odin2, and to check, if I have to adapt something. Then I will put all sounds I made till now on the KVR download site.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Address to Mr. TheWaveWarden!

I'm sorry I haven't given a Eulogy to this amazing synthesizer yet! It is very flexible and has exceptional sound quality! All the more valuable is that it is free. I would even be embarrassed to say that I would like to see something else in it (Phyzmod OSC, Sampler...); the imagination runs away at the sight of VST God Odin II, but we always demand even more from those who already give us more than others. So I just admire it! :hail:

... well, actually I would like to have 3 Amp Env independent for each selected OSC, and a good reverb on board, but see paragraph 1... I just admire it! :hail: :)

From the real wishes, I would like to hope that Odin still has a bit of room to optimize CPU consumption, now it is a little heavy... Also, how can I make it remember where its presets are? :hihi:

I also wanted to describe a specific problem that made me give up on creating a big track this month. My specs: Intel Core I5, 8Gb RAM, Windows 7 64bit, Cakewalk, ASIO, if that's important.

What happens: if a sound or chord is taken with a preset that has a long fade - out, then this sound or chord is played again (this causes the played keys to stick, which I can cancel if I click on all the played notes again).

When does this happen:
1) When I opened the Cakewalk that I minimized earlier.
2) When I switch between instances.
3) When I press stop or pause when a party recorded with Odin II is playing.
The latter is particularly depressing - I stop a track with several instances of Odin II, and have to turn each of them off manually, remembering what notes it played.

I haven't had many days with Internet access this month, for this reason I'm publishing this note now. Maybe I'll do a little track before tomorrow, because I've already missed a few months... In any case, I want to say that programming presets on Odin II is a particular pleasure, and you, Mr. TheWaveWarden - a genius and a good man! :phones: :tu: :party:

My submission

https://soundcloud.com/vca089/lost-vacation

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXQMeY ... sp=sharing

DAW: FL Studio 20.6
Author/composer/producer: VCA-089
Title: Lost Vacation
Genre: Synthwave (Retrowave, Darksynth)
Main BPM: 110
Main Key: F Major

It is been a long while since I've participated in OSC. Now it is a great time and opportunity to make a submission.

This track represents a naive joy of summer, interrupted by pandemic, disasters and mass riots.

I'd like to say that ODIN 2 is a great synth. The possibilities are huge and I particulary liked the "analog gainstaging" feature that makes everything passed through filters and amp section more fatter and characterful. I also liked the potential variety of digital sounds with different modules and I found wave/spec drawing oscs to be useful for some sounds I made. However, I was always comparing this synth to "Surge", which has a similar set of features but it's wavetable engine are much more flexible and it has slightly better LFOs. Still, ODIN 2 is outstandingly good at analog sounds.

So I hope you feel good and safe, or at least enjoing your apocalyptic environment. Good luck.

Used Plugins:

Generators:

x39 Wave Warden "ODIN 2"

Native Effects:

x8 Parametric EQ 2
x2 Limiter
x1 Stereo Enhancer
x2 Reeverb 2
x1 Delay
x1 Wave Candy
x1 dB Meter
x1 Patcher

VST Effects:

EQ:

x1 Sonimus "SonEQ"
x14 TDR & VoS "SlickEQ"
x2 TDR "Nova"

Dynamics:

x1 D16 "Frontier"
x10 Ad-Hd "Leveling Tool"
x1 Molot
x6 Thomas Mundt "LoudMax"
x1 Analog Obsession "Sweet Drums"

Delay/Reverb:

x1 VoS "epicVerb"
x1 Valhalla "Supermassive"
x6 TAL Reverb 4

Master Chain:

TDR "Nova"
TDR "Kotelnikov"
Limiter №6

Total:

x39 Generators
x64 Effects
x46 MIDI Patterns
x39 Mixer Tracks
No Audio Clips
x17 Automation Clips
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

Here's mine.....lost track of time.....and days......it's late......will update track info tomorrow :/ Wasn't quite finished, but I guess I am! https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... ne-osc-136

Reaper
19 instances of Odin 2
ReaEQ, ReaComp, Leveling Tool, RoughRider, OTT, DJM Filter, Tal Reverb 4, GClip, Limiter No.6, W1 Limiter, Wider
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Here's my submission for the month. Odin 2 is an amazing synth but for some reason I had a lot of trouble coming up with ideas this month... I decided to give it one last chance tonight and managed to hammer out this piece

https://soundcloud.com/digitalxero/caves

No promises of quality but I'm happy that I was able to put something together :tu: It's a little chaotic in places but that also matches how I felt at times during the month trying to come up with material so it works I suppose

Ableton Live 10.1
8 instances of Odin 2
1 drum rack (for mapping the kick/snare/hi hat)
1 limiter on master bus
automation on most of the tracks

8 minutes isn't terribly long for a progressive house track, is it? :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/tensorman/moving-on

DAW: REAPER 6.03

28 instances of Odin2

Plugins:
1x ReaEQ
10x ReaComp
1x Stereo Width
1x Saturation
1x Master Limiter
1x ValhallaSupermassive
2x Dragonfly Room Reverb
2x Saturation
3x Ferric TDS
4x MIDI Note Filter
2x MIDI Transpose Notes
3x OTT
4x Soft Clipper/Limiter
7x Time Adjustment Delay
3x Dragonfly Plate Reverb
1x Stereo Enhancer
1x Event Horizon Clipper

Here is mine submission.
Just doodling with some sound design and automation this month.
I will update post later.

https://soundcloud.com/user-253743970/s ... on-osc-136

77 x Odin 2

FX:
ReaEQ, ReaComp, ReaXcomp, Leveling Tool, Gclip, Saturation Knob, W1 Limiter, FreeClip, MIDI Nore Filter, HeadCrusher, Dimension Expander, Wider, CamelCrusher, JS: Transient COntroler,
ReaGate, Dragonfly Hall, Dragonfly Room, Rough Rider 3, ValhallaSupermassive, JS: Ping Pong Pan, JS: Saturation, TDR Nova, Limiter No6, Krush, Tube Saturator Wintage.
Last edited by simanus on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here is my result of playing around with Odin 2 for OSC#136

https://soundcloud.com/user-570157220/m ... in2-ocr136

Cubase Elements 10.5
Stock DAW Reverb and Delay
Independence Free Reverb, Delay, Compressor and Limiter
14x Odin 2

During testing i faced same issue with formant filter killing the sound fully, as already reported earlier.
Also fast removal of several lines from the mod-matrix led to inifite sound.

The possibilities of the Synth are really endless.

Cheers

Return to “Instruments”