Waldorf Largo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo

I uploaded a bank with 14 presets, they are not level matched.

https://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=3444

Thanks abi. :tu:

I like 011, 012 and 013 the best.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

greaat price, but still why is waldorf so old school. still no updated GUIs, presetbrowsing is horrible etc.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Basically... because the synth is 11 years old. ;)

You may point me to the gazillion of 11 year old synths with resizable GUI's now, if you want. Remember that stuff like Retina and 4K isn't that old really.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:15 am Basically... because the synth is 11 years old. ;)

You may point me to the gazillion of 11 year old synths with resizable GUI's now, if you want. Remember that stuff like Retina and 4K isn't that old really.
i know, but waldorf seems not the best company to further improve their products :P.
Largo v2 or whatever. even their last ones are take how it is released afaik. sad, as i love when companies further improve (u-he etc)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

double post
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caine123 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:18 am i know, but waldorf seems not the best company to further improve their products :P.
You may also point me to the gazillion of other synths which got updated for 11 years after release... IIRC, the last update for Largo was about 3 years ago, and, according to someone in this thread, they will bring a resizable GUI at some point.

I think it's always easy to say that companies don't support their products for years and years on. Put yourself in their position. How many copies do you think they still sell from Largo? How much sense does it make to fund cost intensive development of a 11 year old synth to please a handful of users who complain that they're not up to date, even though they were released over a decade ago? Seriously, if you have any sense, and you have in mind that you have to pay employees and fund new developments, then the answers to those questions are pretty clear. Waldorf is also not a large enterprise, it's a very small company which already went bankrupt once, and I doubt that they're making hundreds of millions now either. So, put it a bit in perspective.

Again, though, you may point me to the dozens of other soft synths which are that old, and which still get updates. Because, you surely sound like there are a lot of them.

I think if a company doesn't want to support and improve a product, they shouldn't develop it.
They're only half (if that) to blame though.

Most people are conditioned to want new stuff, become quickly bored with what they have,
and are looking for the next thing before they've even explored what they just got.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 am Thanks abi. :tu:

I like 011, 012 and 013 the best.
You´re welcome :tu:

felis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am I think if a company doesn't want to support and improve a product, they shouldn't develop it.
I'm sure every company wants to support and improve their products. You just have to be realistic. Even OS developers don't support their OS as long as Largo lives now. I don't think that support life cycles make sense here either, because, it's not how this market works. And, I don't think it makes sense in terms of how such small companies work either.

I rather see the issue in the expectation of the consumer here.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 pm ....I rather see the issue in the expectation of the consumer here.
Yes - as in the part of my post that you didn't quote.

Not quite what I meant though. ;) I meant that it's a bit unreasonable to believe that soft synths or effect plugins are supported until the end of days. "Conditioned to want new stuff" - don't think so. Consumers are served what they are after. If nobody wanted the new and shiny stuff, then you wouldn't be able to offer it again and again. In the end, it IS the consumer's issue. I don't need everything new and shiny. And, I have my own will, and I can decide whether or not I want to buy something or not. Surely there is a temptation, but, frankly, if you're so weak that you can't resist it, then you have noone but yourself to blame. Typical urbanized first world stuff, I would say.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:51 pm Not quite what I meant though. ;) I meant that it's a bit unreasonable to believe that soft synths or effect plugins are supported until the end of days...
We have to distinguish between support and improvements.

Plugins need to be supported as long as they are sold. If something can be bought today it should have some kind of support and bugfixes.

Adding improvements (features, not bugfixes) for free is a different case; the company is free to do it for as long as it's on its best interest (cost vs reputation). The user is always free not to buy. Just buy the product (or not) for what it is today. The company may not keep its promises or even go bankrupt.

In my case I'm fine with Largo as it is, as I have a 2K 32" screen and I can see it well, it is stable, has character, I don't care that much for presets and found the preset browser OK, it is immediate to program and the price is good. For me it was a no-brainer. I wouldn't mind it to be resizeable but it still works for me.

rafa1981 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:13 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:51 pm Not quite what I meant though. ;) I meant that it's a bit unreasonable to believe that soft synths or effect plugins are supported until the end of days...
We have to distinguish between support and improvements.

Plugins need to be supported as long as they are sold. If something can be bought today it should have some kind of support and bugfixes.

Adding improvements (features, not bugfixes) for free is a different case; the company is free to do it for as long as it's on its best interest (cost vs reputation). The user is always free not to buy. Just buy the product (or not) for what it is today. The company may not keep its promises or even go bankrupt.

Agreed. You put it better than I was able to. :tu: Of course I wasn't excluding support for the current plugins, as long as they're sold.

With regard to support I can only say that Waldorf have been pretty responsive. They try to reproduce bugs I encounter and forward them to the developers. As I already mentioned in this thread, they also told me they were working on a scalable gui. So just enjoy Largo now for what it is and try to avoid the bugs. I have encountered some but it´s still useable. An update will come, but it could last a good while.

Return to “Instruments”