Apple will switch to ARM processors: what does it mean for plugin developers?

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
machinesworking
KVRAF
2400 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am

BONES wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 pm
You cannot possibly be serious? Every choice you make speaks volumes as to what sort of person you are. I'd go so far as to say that who we are is the sum total of all the choices we make.
I'll give you this though, I think you believe your choice of computers says a lot about you as a person. You've bought into an archetype about this choice. You think you're smarter than other people because of the choices you've made. It's entirely true also that a lot of Apple users think the same thing. <This of course drives you nuts, because it's the same level of unreasonable directed at your choices.

What you can't understand is why anyone would make a different choice than you. This is why I said it says a lot about you. You seem to literally live in a world where there is a right and a wrong, no shades of grey and no better choice for the specific job allowed.

IncarnateX
KVRAF
3948 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Re: Apple will switch to ARM processors: what does it mean for plugin developers?

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 am

audiothing wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:43 pm
I was just reporting my experience, as a developer.
And thanks for that, mate. And yes, there are different experiences to share, and it is actually informative to see some devs disagreeing about it. Let people conclude what they want and go fight their own wars. A report from the field is a report from the field.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
10030 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Apple will switch to ARM processors: what does it mean for plugin developers?

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:12 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 am
My choices in politics and religion say a lot about who I am.
No more than where you buy your groceries and much less than the car you drive, your hairstyle or the clothes you wear. Just because you don't realise this doesn't make it any less true.
My choices in architecture, cars, chairs, computers, candy, and outdoor sports are as superficial as it gets.
It is those superficial choices, thos eyo umake below the conscious level, that tend to reveal the most.
Next I expect you're going to claim as a Taurus, ENTP, and proud Australian, you're choice in DAW was obviously going to be Cubase.
I am none of those things so the conclusion would not be valid. I am a New South Welshman or Sydney Harbour Bridginie (a term I have tried to popularise with little success), I do not think of myself as Australian, proudly or otherwise.
machinesworking wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am
I'll give you this though, I think you believe your choice of computers says a lot about you as a person. You've bought into an archetype about this choice.
Not "a lot" but certainly something. It says I take nothing for granted and do my research before every purchase. My last 8 laptops have been from 6 different vendors - Sony, Dell, Samsung, Microsoft, Asus and Acer. To be fair, I don't always make the best decision about what kind of machine I need but having made that decision, I always get the best machine within that selection set.
You think you're smarter than other people because of the choices you've made.
No, I know I am smarter than 99.5% of the population. I have testing results that prove it.
It's entirely true also that a lot of Apple users think the same thing. <This of course drives you nuts, because it's the same level of unreasonable directed at your choices.
It hardly "drives me nuts" but it certainly creates a perception about how much thought goes into their purchasing decisions.
What you can't understand is why anyone would make a different choice than you.
No, there are three things I don't understand. First, why people would put so little effort into an important choice. Second, why they would trust a huge multinational company to have their best interest at heart. Third, why they would think they could hope to justify that decision by piling shit on the very rational choices of others when they are speaking from a position of ignorance (see first point).
You seem to literally live in a world where there is a right and a wrong, no shades of grey and no better choice for the specific job allowed.
The only binaries I see are the reality in which we actually live and the fantasy land a lot of you seem to think you live in. So it's more like "correct perception" and "invalid perception", where there can be no grey areas. You either see the world for what it is or you don't.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C | Cubase | DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Union, bx_oberhausen, Vacuum Pro, Arcsyn, Phase Plant, Mono/Fury, Pigments, Aparillo | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova.

machinesworking
KVRAF
2400 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:16 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:12 pm
machinesworking wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 am
My choices in politics and religion say a lot about who I am.
No more than where you buy your groceries and much less than the car you drive, your hairstyle or the clothes you wear. Just because you don't realise this doesn't make it any less true.
I think you're projecting. You have brand hatred and loyalty, IMO arbitrarily based, I'm sure you would disagree, I don't. I would switch to Windows without too much fuss if Apple made moves that made continuing to use their products more work that learning to troubleshoot Windows issues.
It is those superficial choices, thos eyo umake below the conscious level, that tend to reveal the most.
Hmm, to me choices in products are made for numerous reasons, I'm not a binary thinker, there is no right and wrong answer. The reasons someone chooses a pair of Levis are as varied as the people who wear them, and it's far too generic of an item to get much psychological evidence off of.
Next I expect you're going to claim as a Taurus, ENTP, and proud Australian, you're choice in DAW was obviously going to be Cubase.
I am none of those things so the conclusion would not be valid. I am a New South Welshman or Sydney Harbour Bridginie (a term I have tried to popularise with little success), I do not think of myself as Australian, proudly or otherwise.
You made my point for me here, in spades even.
machinesworking wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am
I'll give you this though, I think you believe your choice of computers says a lot about you as a person. You've bought into an archetype about this choice.
Not "a lot" but certainly something. It says I take nothing for granted and do my research before every purchase. My last 8 laptops have been from 6 different vendors - Sony, Dell, Samsung, Microsoft, Asus and Acer. To be fair, I don't always make the best decision about what kind of machine I need but having made that decision, I always get the best machine within that selection set.
I'll get to this at the end, but let's cut to the chase, you think people who use Apple products are sheep, and it's this sense of absolutism you have that makes you think it's perfectly fine to constantly comment in threads about Apple products how much you hate Apple products. You're more obsessed with them than most people, at the level of Apple devotees that stand in line for the latest iProduct.

You think you're smarter than other people because of the choices you've made.
No, I know I am smarter than 99.5% of the population. I have testing results that prove it.
I will always be amused by this, if you're around enough truly intelligent people you realize they for the most part, think absolutely nothing of it. Aristotle is attributed with the quote "I know that I don't know", and to me this is the litmus test of whether someone is just Aspergers level capable of regurgitating out information, or is capable of critical thinking, about even themselves.
It's entirely true also that a lot of Apple users think the same thing. <This of course drives you nuts, because it's the same level of unreasonable directed at your choices.
It hardly "drives me nuts" but it certainly creates a perception about how much thought goes into their purchasing decisions.
This goes back to your binary thinking. I do not suggest Apple products to people, I suggest the best product for their situation, not mine.
What you can't understand is why anyone would make a different choice than you.
No, there are three things I don't understand. First, why people would put so little effort into an important choice. Second, why they would trust a huge multinational company to have their best interest at heart. Third, why they would think they could hope to justify that decision by piling shit on the very rational choices of others when they are speaking from a position of ignorance (see first point).
Emotional response here, all computers and parts are made by big companies without you personally in mind. You're projecting old arguments here as well, who said your choices were bad for you?

You seem to literally live in a world where there is a right and a wrong, no shades of grey and no better choice for the specific job allowed.
The only binaries I see are the reality in which we actually live and the fantasy land a lot of you seem to think you live in. So it's more like "correct perception" and "invalid perception", where there can be no grey areas. You either see the world for what it is or you don't.
Here's the coup de grace, you wouldn't buy a Mac if Apple came out with 3mm silicon tomorrow that ran everything flawlessly, twice as fast as what Intel offered, and that was competitively priced. You have attributed all the negative elements of this planet to a brand.

You will never buy a Mac, your only purpose in this thread is to attempt to again paint Apple out as the worst thing to happen to computing. You're trolling, and this very fact makes your perception of yourself as flawlessly logical, comical.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”