Ircam Lab TS - Have you tried it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simmo75 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:03 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 pm No discount for actual V1 customers?

Fail. No thanks, no way I'll pay twice for that.
How do you discount free? ;)
Rebate? :shrug:

TS has been in my fx tool bag for some time. TS2 appears to me more like a unnecessary face lift. No new feature.
Time to time feels like the fx sound quality had improved, dunno.

Luckily both versions remain in your computer.

Harry_HH wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm TS has been in my fx tool bag for some time. TS2 appears to me more like a unnecessary face lift. No new feature.

When they reference time stretching... Is this extreme stretching?

elxsound wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:12 pm
Harry_HH wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm TS has been in my fx tool bag for some time. TS2 appears to me more like a unnecessary face lift. No new feature.

Yes... VERY extreme.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Yes... VERY extreme.
Ugh... Might pick this up then. Then back to saving for Microsmic

I just saw lots of mentions of copy and pasting and pitch shifting. Their demos barely adjust much... but extreme is missing from my toolbox.

I'm in the same boat as you. Too bad indeed they didn't update with new transformation features and set of tools to truly affect the sound, not mostly just a cosmetic & navigation update.

Neon Breath wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. Too bad indeed they didn't update with new transformation features and set of tools to truly affect the sound, not mostly just a cosmetic & navigation update.
That would be Audiosculpt (which is where TS comes from). Yes, it would have been great :-)
Fernando (FMR)

The fun starts when you bring in the automation curves. Where these in v1?
I don't remember, but I like the update, especially when it's free

Although they seem to have removed the extreme time stretch I'm sure it used to go to 100x. Assigning MIDI controllers to parameters is great fun though
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

lnikj wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:37 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 pm
zyzygis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:11 pmThe stretching is very good
It always was, albeit within a certain range. Have they now expanded the stretching into 'creative' territories, a la PaulStretch?

Cheers :tu:
No, they've reduced it. You could do 100* in v1 but only 10* in v2 as far as I can determine.
AFAIK it's now only between 4x and 0.25x time stretch.
Seems to be aimed more at the production than the creative use.

in the manual they mention "Midi Tools TBA" so if it eventually allowed automation of midi parameters and/or using external controllers to play live to disc that would be good. At the current $29 it does seem worth a punt even just for those times when I wished a (mastered) piece had just held a note/chord/reverb tail just a bit longer. Also the noise/tone/transient extraction would be handy automated - maybe a bit better than Melodyne and other techniques for that

Also do IRCAM allow license transfers?

Calenberger wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:26 pm
It always was, albeit within a certain range. Have they now expanded the stretching into 'creative' territories, a la PaulStretch?

No, they've reduced it. You could do 100* in v1 but only 10* in v2 as far as I can determine.
eh, x4 and x.25 is nothing crazy. I'd be interested at Paul Stretch levels .

I'll have to check out some practical uses because I'm not getting/understanding why I personally would use this... which is not a bad thing (since $29 would be saved).

elxsound wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 pm
Calenberger wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:26 pm

eh, x4 and x.25 is nothing crazy. I'd be interested at Paul Stretch levels .

I'll have to check out some practical uses because I'm not getting/understanding why I personally would use this... which is not a bad thing (since $29 would be saved).
.25x to 10x as I demo it now. My main problem is it still has terrible warbling as you start pushing the parameters - just part of the algorithm - but pushing the parameters is where I'd like it to go

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:10 pm I was a bit excited about this. Especially for the price. However, after a short demo I left a bit underwhelmed. Sure the stretch and transpose algos are superb as well as the remix function (Sinus, Noise, Transient) but there are some flaws imho. A bit more audio editing functions (like Edison) and a better handling of plugins would be nice.

Even for the price right now I can not see that I would use this much. Maybe if it would be a plugin but for a standalone this is to fiddly and unsatisfying. I will test it more to see if my mind changes.

I know it's a different kind of product but I like Hourglass and PaulXStretch much more...
From the trial so far, agreed.

Looking for a video of it in basic (plus, optionally, creative), real-world, audio editing use (not just a promo video, solely of the specialty features). Is there one (or more) out there?

I only found videos for the older version. I wasn't too impressed with the stretch so I think I will give it a miss.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Effects”