Stutter Edit 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ariston wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm
audiot wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:14 pm All in all it's a nice update :tu: UI design is a bit over the top ... I like dark themes, but this is a bit to dark for my taste :? I'm playing around with the demo for one hour now and i'm getting used to the new UI, so i will definitly buy the upgrade. 79 Dollars is a bit steep for a product that was frequently on sale for less than 50 dollars, but it's still okay.

Does somebody have experiences with their customer support? Are they responsive? Would it make sense to suggest some alternative colour schemes?
Izotope's shtick is to push out new versions regularly, to convince you to upgrade. They have a record of abandoning (i.e., never putting any further development into) excellent software (like Iris). Rather simple things like making oversampling in Trash 2 a permanent setting (as opposed to having to navigate to the settings menu every time you call up the plugin) are never addressed. To be fair, their products are really stable (I've never had any problems with them), but as for adding value and listening to customer suggestions... not bloody likely.
That's dissapointing :? I dont like supporting companies with an attitude like that, but unfortunatly there are not many vst's that can trigger effect sequences via midi. Sugar Bytes has a few ones that can do that, but the quality of the internal effects is mixed. I find such effects really helpful for doing buildups and breaks ... much easier than with daw automation.

Let's hope they sort out the bugs at least ... UI size doesnt remember it's last state when you close and reopen the UI (at least in Cubase).

Izotope's shtick is to push out new versions regularly, to convince you to upgrade. They have a record of abandoning (i.e., never putting any further development into) excellent software (like Iris)
Well, Stutter Edit was one of these plugins - yet eventually it's back from the dead after 8 years.

I agree that their upgrade policy is very pricy, but at the end of the day they offer excellent products.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

anyone else in here is on the remix contest?

Well now. It's inserted ok as an instrument track in Cubase 10.5.20, I grab the master filter and it works just fine, a separate midi channel is routed to it to control the gestures, Play Mode is set to midi, as I press the keyboard on the midi track keys the gestures change on the instrument track super slick, everything looks great with one small problem -

IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.

No audio change on any gesture. Anyone any ideas of what's going on? Compatibility in Cubase or summit?
Last edited by noiseboyuk on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Ah, got it. Super-helpfully, SE2 does nothing at all unless the timeline is playing. A PITA - is that something that can be addressed?

But otherwise it seems great for That Sort Of Thing.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 pm Ah, got it. Super-helpfully, SE2 does nothing at all unless the timeline is playing. A PITA - is that something that can be addressed?

But otherwise it seems great for That Sort Of Thing.
No, Stutter Edit doesnt do anything if the host isnt playing. Effectrix by SugarBytes can do that, but i have no clue why :?: Doesnt make sense to me ... if the track isnt running, then there is no audio that can be processed. There are a few synths that can generate self oscillated sounds, even if the track istn playing ... there it would be possible. But it's in the nature of these plugins that they are synced to the host. Another abstract scenarion would be to play a synth with one midi keyboard and stutter edit with another midi keyboard, but i doubt that anyone would do that.

Do you have the same problem with the UI not remembering it's size? I also use Cubase 10.5.20.

audiot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:02 pmNo, Stutter Edit doesnt do anything if the host isnt playing. Effectrix by SugarBytes can do that, but i have no clue why :?: Doesnt make sense to me ... if the track isnt running, then there is no audio that can be processed. There are a few synths that can generate self oscillated sounds, even if the track istn playing ... there it would be possible. But it's in the nature of these plugins that they are synced to the host. Another abstract scenarion would be to play a synth with one midi keyboard and stutter edit with another midi keyboard, but i doubt that anyone would do that.

Do you have the same problem with the UI not remembering it's size? I also use Cubase 10.5.20.
I actually haven't tried re-scaling, I'll give it a whirl in the next couple of days.

I was using it Stylus, my stock "lets test a new effects plugin", so it just plays loops. But you're right in that most of the time I'd be playing audio which it would process.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:13 pm
audiot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:02 pmNo, Stutter Edit doesnt do anything if the host isnt playing. Effectrix by SugarBytes can do that, but i have no clue why :?: Doesnt make sense to me ... if the track isnt running, then there is no audio that can be processed. There are a few synths that can generate self oscillated sounds, even if the track istn playing ... there it would be possible. But it's in the nature of these plugins that they are synced to the host. Another abstract scenarion would be to play a synth with one midi keyboard and stutter edit with another midi keyboard, but i doubt that anyone would do that.

I actually haven't tried re-scaling, I'll give it a whirl in the next couple of days.

I was using it Stylus, my stock "lets test a new effects plugin", so it just plays loops. But you're right in that most of the time I'd be playing audio which it would process.
... ah yes, i forgot plugins with intagrated sequencers/players. Let me know if the resizing works.

And if you like Stutter Edit you shoud check out the Sugar Bytes stuff. Effectrix is conceptually the closest to Stutter Edit and can be triggered via midi notes, but Artillery and Turnado are also really good.

This is everything I would have wanted in SE1. Also seems a bit more stable and less cpu intensive somehow. You can make an entire track out of a snippet of pretty much anything and then a few well put together SE gestures. I haven’t even checked if it has the onboard “sound generator thing” yet, but that could be fun along with the ability to draw out all the transfer functions for each parameter. On top of the new stuff I just discovered that almost all the fx are dragable for changing the signal path. Definitely worth the 80 bucks.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

the generator is gone, which definitely came as a shock to me, the interaction between the generator and stutter gestures was what made it really unique, for me.

When upgrading, I guess you still keep your access to Stutter Edit 1? Or does the iLok license disappear?

BeeDog wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:41 am When upgrading, I guess you still keep your access to Stutter Edit 1? Or does the iLok license disappear?
I use Product Portal for iZotope but it seems the two live next to each other independently.

Both are up and running on windows.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

audiot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 pmLet me know if the resizing works.
Just tested - I get the same results as you in Cubase 10.5.2, it forgets the resize when the project re-launches.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

The browser is really great, you can mix presets from different banks and you can fine-tune nearly everything, I don't know another "stutter plugin" which offers such a detailed access. And the loyalty price 99$ is okay, too! :tu:

As I tested Stutter Edit 1 many years ago, I didn't buy it, because my results were not really "tight / fluid", if I used it on a full track in the DAW. I don't record the audio first for such effects, I want to use them in a full track on the master channel and some instances on single channels, too. I do the same with some Kilohearts and Sugar Bytes plugins. But if this one can do this without problems, I could sell them all. :D

Return to “Effects”