Kawai K1 as VSTi - Nils' K1v is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nils K1v

Nils Schneider wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:57 am
layzer wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:30 am crashes with dll errors.
Could you copy the error message? I didn't test on XP but I didn't implement anything Vista+ specific so it should work, in theory at least :) I'm going to try it in a virtual machine.
hi and thanks for your support of us rare vintage OS affectionados. :D

well, the error says it cant find dwmapi.dll am i missing some kind of runtime?
im using winxp sp3 x32.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I'm working on my own "all K1" track and will post it when it's done. It's called "Why Kawai"

Much appreciated for the amount of effort.
Take care :wink:

It crackles and pops in my FL Studio 20, but works fine in Cubase 10.

Just what I need right now, because I want to start making music for retro inspired indie games, and most other plugins I know with a similar sound are not as easy to use, or a little annoying (the Roland stuff...), it sound's really good, and it's free! Great job, maybe my plugin of the year.

I will donate for sure when I finished 1-2 tracks with it.

Ein wirklich vorzügliches Plugin!

Thanks so much for this blast from the past. I used to own a K1m so this is definitely nostalgia for me.

Let me give it a go and I may be able to make a donation. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

crackles and pops also here... v1.0.3

Yes just tested in FL Studio and I'm getting pops, clicks, and audio dropouts not preset in Cakewalk by Bandlab. "Use Fixed Size Buffers" in FL Studio seems to make no difference.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I have a few crackles and pops on some presets, most noticeably EB-3 "BrassStrik". But the CPU isn't being taxed at all, and I'm not clipping. (This is with the 1.0.3 version as well.) In this case, it might just be the samples in that preset, or the way the preset is set up.

I also noticed the preset names aren't quite the same as what's on this list from Kawai: https://kawaius.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... raries.pdf. Are the SYSEX files they provide on that same site not the same sounds as what they have in this list? I know the .PDF says the library is for the K1ii, so maybe that's the difference, but it still seems they would have had the .PDF match the SYSEX files on the site (or vice-versa).

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Here in FL Studio the audio drops out and the plugin goes silent for awhile. This does not occur when using it in Cakewalk.

Speaking of .syx files has anyone been able to successfully import a .syx file ? I have not.

EDIT: I lied. I just got a couple of audio dropouts in Cakewalk as well. I'm going to move K1v to my studio computer tomorrow and give it a go. Might just need a little bug fix. :)

Nils Schneider wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:54 pm
moss wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:18 pm Sorry, I could not resist and did a song using only the K1v :D
I called it "Song for Nils" :hug:
Can't stop listening to it :) Is it okay for you if I share this video on my website? With credit of course!
Glad you like it! Sure you can, feel free to use it as promo.

The interface is a bit fugly but great job nonetheless. Sounds pretty good. It's super rare that a free synth makes it into my setup these days but this just might.
No signature here!

layzer wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:54 am
jbuonacc wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 am
layzer wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:30 am heads up for winXP users, XP does not appear to be supported.
heads up for Windows XP users... it is now the year 2020. :o
so the F what? some people like a less bloated OS that
runs a slim DAW like EnergyXT2. no bloated sample libraries,
just fast good small VSTi's and effects that let me make
the music i like a joy. (electro pop)
That's OK but just don't expect anything new to work on it. Out of the all things, supporting Windows XP these days should be the last thing developers should waste their time on.
No signature here!

Nice to see a free emulation of one of the Kawai K range synths. Will have a look at this plugin ASAP.

Never had a K1 but my first real hardware synth was a Kawai K11 that i owned and used between 1993 and 2004. In this each of the 2 oscillators/layers had a filter (LPF or HPF) and the filters could be linked to get a dual filter (a dual LPF or bandpass). It also had ring modulation (called "AM") like the K1 and like the K1 both addtive waveshapes and PCM samples. With the K11 i learned the basics of subtractive synthesis before i owned real analog or virtual analog synths and a long time before i started to use plugins. For programming it i had mostly used a software editor.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Good story

The FL Studio trial is not even time limited, cool stuff. I'm going to install and test my plugin there.

To all FL Studio users with audio issues: What sampling rate do you use for FL Studio?
https://k1v.nilsschneider.de - Kawai K1 emulated as VSTi/AU
https://heatvst.com - Android Synthesizer with full VST integration
https://gpuimpulsereverb.de - Use your GPU as reverberation DSP

Return to “Instruments”