Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

cb8rwh wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:28 am Any particular reason why not?
Because it just works.
In around 80 patches I've made on this so far, I tweaked osc volume exactly 0 times. Occasionally I would tweak noise volume, but there is no point to add to front panel control that is required sparingly. Amount of control on front panel is just perfect, because Oberheim did it right the first time.
Add second page for mod matrix? Yes.
Improve LFO? Hell yeah.
Option to assign computer keyboard key to flip front-back panel from? Very yes, and add such access to voice tweak pages and for voice mutes.
Front panel? It's pretty much great the way it is. Rearrange, OK. Clutter it with more controls? Hard nope.

So I have always been calling it Sine-Apps

Is it really Sin-Apps?
rsp
sound sculptist

urosh wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:59 am Because it just works.
In around 80 patches I've made on this so far, I tweaked osc volume exactly 0 times. Occasionally I would tweak noise volume, but there is no point to add to front panel control that is required sparingly. Amount of control on front panel is just perfect, because Oberheim did it right the first time.
Add second page for mod matrix? Yes.
I admit that in most of my patches i did not have to adjust the Osc volumes and if it was necessary it was very easy to do it in the mod matrix (only a single slot necessary to decrease/increase the volume of one Osc compared to the other one). Same is true about adjusting e.g. the pulse widths (when both Oscs should have a different PW or enhancing the range of the PW as the mod amount for it works in an additive way) and the filter keytracking.

My most used modulations in the mod matrix are assigning Aftertouch and Modwheel (those 2 are used in more than 95% of my patches) and adjusting the filter keytracking (included in most patches that use filter keytracking).

Adjusting the part balance in Dual patchess is necessary in many of those patches and there is a dedicated fader for this. Besides that the balance is also available as a mod destination so you can assign e.g. the Modwheel to it. Both the X-Mod amount and the Resonance amount could be modulated too which is really nice.

As already mentioned adding more mod matrix slots would be helpful.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

urosh wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:59 am
cb8rwh wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:28 am Any particular reason why not?
Because it just works.
And in a lot the patches I have created (60+) I have tweaked the volume. Horses for courses. If the option is added you don't have to use it, but those of us that do want to can do so.

zvenx wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:27 am
So I have always been calling it Sine-Apps

Is it really Sin-Apps?
rsp

sine apps here, depends on your location

potato/potarto

Ingonator wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 am.

As already mentioned
bit of a recurring theme there....

BONES wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:16 am
dionenoid wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:21 pmIt sounds very good, and i'm sure it's a good emulation, but it's just too limited for my needs, i was hoping for more (and better implemented) modulation options.
Like what? It has tonnes of modulation and even a mod matrix to work with.
A fairly limited mod matrix, no extra envelopes, pretty limited lfo section, half-baked seq thingy, no good sync options, no visual feedback. Hardly tonnes of modulation, especially compared to things like Dune3 or the Arturia emu's for example.
Plus the ui feels like going back to last decade.
Well, that's a failure because it should feel like it's going back 40 years. Apart from the front/back panel annoyance, I quite like the GUI.
That front/back thing is what i mean. But also no visual feedback anywhere, no extra mods etc. Compare this to modern synths and it feels clunky and dated. I realize it's an emulation but i think some more thought could have gone in to better controls and visual feedback, you know, overall workflow.

One small example : the osc 2 tuning is in steps of semitones, all they have to do is add decimals (like how it's done in many NI synths) and it allows for much more control plus no stepping when automated.
Also, the fx are limited and imo mediocre. Plus i'm missing other drive or saturation options.
It's not a standalone synth and a lot of people will turn the on-board effects off anyway, just on principle, so why would it matter one way or the other? It did annoy me when I was making presets for it but in my own work that stuff is totally irrelevant.
So you agree, what's your point ? Either add a full fx section (like in Dune3) or leave it out and use the space for other options, be it mods or filter or saturation settings. Change the reverb for a mod envelope and you'll expand the capabilities of this synth by tenfold.

Either way, it's not a bad synth. It really sounds good. But it is too limited for me as it is right now. Somewhat feels like an unfinished product.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:45 pm no visual feedback
dionenoid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:45 pm visual feedback

such as? I'm not sure i follow....

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:52 pm

Animated env and lfo displays, animated mod destinations. Think Serum, Bitwig etc. Basically turn it into a video game.

so nothing of actual use then

schpaeckulum wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Animated env and lfo displays, animated mod destinations. Think Serum, Bitwig etc. Basically turn it into a video game.
Basic stuff like showing values, mods, tooltips and such. Hardly a videogame, just basic stuff that any plug-in in 2020 has.
More BPM please

John Doe: Hey, I'd love to have an OB-Xa emulation

Dev: Okay, here you go.

John Doe: Cool. Now, could you add....

Dev: (scratching head) I thought you wanted an OB-Xa emulation.

John Doe: I do, but I just want you to add...

Dev: (A Bit Annoyed Now) Yeah, but that's not an OB-Xa emulation.

John Doe: But that's what I want.

Dev: (Throwing Toys Out Window) I'm going back to making door knobs.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:42 pm John Doe: Hey, I'd love to have an OB-Xa emulation

Dev: Okay, here you go.

John Doe: Cool. Now, could you add....

Dev: (scratching head) I thought you wanted an OB-Xa emulation.

John Doe: I do, but I just want you to add...

Dev: (A Bit Annoyed Now) Yeah, but that's not an OB-Xa emulation.

John Doe: But that's what I want.

Dev: (Throwing Toys Out Window) I'm going back to making door knobs.
Exactly. Maybe some higher polyphony and MPE capability, but I see no reason for features that were never present on the hardware or even basic FX. An emulation is just that. The polyphony and ADSR enhancements on Legend were good ideas to modernize the Minimoog, but not too much to change the synth into something else.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

dionenoid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:38 pm
schpaeckulum wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Basic stuff like showing values, mods, tooltips and such. Hardly a videogame, just basic stuff that any plug-in in 2020 has.
values are shown on the knobs
mods are in the mod matrix
tool tips? seriously?

its a pretty simple synth, if you need anything more than it already has to make sounds, you prob need a diff hobby

you could always use your ears, it's a novel approach, but i find it works a treat

Return to “Instruments”