DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Hi, looks like there is a bug in Bitwig 3.2.3/DBM 10 with SL MK3. The SL MK3 display does not show the Knob names of the HW instrument remote controls but "Knob1Valu", "Knob2Valu"....I'm quite sure this worked correctly in previous versions

To replicate the issue:
1. Add a HW instrument device to track
2. Add Midi CC device to HW instrument's Midi FX "chain"
3. assign one of the Midi CC device knobs to HW instrument remote controls and try to rename it

Thanks as usual for all your hard work moss!

I have a few questions about the latest release, regarding Push 1:

a.) clip colours don't seem to be inherited up to group level, even if I leave group tracks as transparent. If I dig down to the lowest group level I can see the clip colours, but anything above that they either show as the track colour or grey (if I set the track transparent). I saw a discussion about this a few pages ago but it appeared to be fixed?

b.) this is a long running one, but is there a reason the 'in' and 'out' buttons (above mute and solo on Push 1) aren't used at all? Is it just because they aren't present on the Push 2? Every time I come back to the Push after not using it for a while it seems to instinctive to use these to navigate up/down e.g. group hierarchies, rather than having to hold the track button to move back up the group level in session view for example. I often need to do this quite quickly as a result of the way my live set is structured, and waiting for the long press is rather agonising :D

c.) the documentation says that the 'User' page can be used to custom assign some project wide controls. If I press this button, I just see two options for Pad Threshold and Velocity Curve. Pressing other buttons to attempt to navigate pages doesn't do anything. Is this just an issue with the latest release or have I missed something?

Cheers

rrauanmaa wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:54 pm Hi, looks like there is a bug in Bitwig 3.2.3/DBM 10 with SL MK3. The SL MK3 display does not show the Knob names of the HW instrument remote controls but "Knob1Valu", "Knob2Valu"....I'm quite sure this worked correctly in previous versions

To replicate the issue:
1. Add a HW instrument device to track
2. Add Midi CC device to HW instrument's Midi FX "chain"
3. assign one of the Midi CC device knobs to HW instrument remote controls and try to rename it
Please report to Bitwig. Seems to be a bug with the MIDI CC device. does also happen if you just use the MIDI CC device on a channel without any other device.

Hez wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:43 pm a.) clip colours don't seem to be inherited up to group level, even if I leave group tracks as transparent. If I dig down to the lowest group level I can see the clip colours, but anything above that they either show as the track colour or grey (if I set the track transparent). I saw a discussion about this a few pages ago but it appeared to be fixed?
I am simply display the color that Bitwig tells me. I know that groups sometimes behave a bit weird, also notice that you can switch group tracks to "Show Master Track Contents", which changes the color behaviour. If you think there is something wrong, please contact Bitwig support.
Hez wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:43 pm b.) this is a long running one, but is there a reason the 'in' and 'out' buttons (above mute and solo on Push 1) aren't used at all? Is it just because they aren't present on the Push 2? Every time I come back to the Push after not using it for a while it seems to instinctive to use these to navigate up/down e.g. group hierarchies, rather than having to hold the track button to move back up the group level in session view for example. I often need to do this quite quickly as a result of the way my live set is structured, and waiting for the long press is rather agonising :D
These buttons are used to select the pages in the sequencer. I know it is not perfect but that it is how it is :-)
Hez wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:43 pm c.) the documentation says that the 'User' page can be used to custom assign some project wide controls. If I press this button, I just see two options for Pad Threshold and Velocity Curve. Pressing other buttons to attempt to navigate pages doesn't do anything. Is this just an issue with the latest release or have I missed something?
This sounds like you are running an old version. What you see are the settings, which now are shown with Shift+User.

moss wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 am I am simply display the color that Bitwig tells me. I know that groups sometimes behave a bit weird, also notice that you can switch group tracks to "Show Master Track Contents", which changes the color behaviour. If you think there is something wrong, please contact Bitwig support.

These buttons are used to select the pages in the sequencer. I know it is not perfect but that it is how it is :-)

This sounds like you are running an old version. What you see are the settings, which now are shown with Shift+User.
Aaaaargh I just realised Bitwig doesn't look for extensions in the folder I have the rest of my Bitwig library in, it's not an optional path like the controller scripts is. That explains a few things, I had an old version in the standard location!

Regarding the colours, that's a bit annoying that they aren't inherited up out of groups - I'll write to support. It's interesting that the scenes are correctly coloured in the Bitwig GUI (i.e. indicating the colour of clips within the group), but I guess that information isn't being passed on via the API.

No worries regarding the buttons, thanks for the response anyway :D

moss wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:17 am
AFranke wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:05 pm Hi,
I mapped a Diatonic Transposer Device to a device page and this happens:
Ah, interesting. The SL can only display ASCII characters, I replaced this special character now with the normal ASCII #. Will be fixed in the next update.
AFranke wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:05 pm The whole mapping thing is a complete mess on the SL MK3, none of any renamed parameter is displayed on its screens. Always the original parameters names of any device are shown up. I really hope this will be fixed some day. :-(
I renamed several parameters of the Diatonic Transposer, also tried with a VST2 and all works well. Also restarted Bitwig several times and the renamed parameters showed up as expected. Could you do a video about that as well?
Hi Jürgen, sorry for my late answer. Didn't see your reply. So today I recognized that after starting up Bitwig and going into InControl selecting the green Device Mode the renamed parameters are show up correctly as long as you switch the device pages with the Mouse in BWS (3.2.3). As soon as you enter the pink Device Mode the renamed parameter names are immediately gone and the original plungin parameter names are show up every time. Can reproduce this everytime if I start up BWS. I made a Video. Look at the parameter called "Range" or "Wave" (this are the renamed ones) if I go into the purple mode they went back to "RangeOSC1" and "Wave Os..."

https://youtu.be/_guhQeaz9-E

AFranke wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:26 pm Hi Jürgen, sorry for my late answer. Didn't see your reply. So today I recognized that after starting up Bitwig and going into InControl selecting the green Device Mode the renamed parameters are show up correctly as long as you switch the device pages with the Mouse in BWS (3.2.3). As soon as you enter the pink Device Mode the renamed parameter names are immediately gone and the original plungin parameter names are show up every time. Can reproduce this everytime if I start up BWS. I made a Video. Look at the parameter called "Range" or "Wave" (this are the renamed ones) if I go into the purple mode they went back to "RangeOSC1" and "Wave Os..."
Ah, thanks! Got it and will be fixed in the next update.

moss wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:05 pm
AFranke wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:26 pm Hi Jürgen, sorry for my late answer. Didn't see your reply. So today I recognized that after starting up Bitwig and going into InControl selecting the green Device Mode the renamed parameters are show up correctly as long as you switch the device pages with the Mouse in BWS (3.2.3). As soon as you enter the pink Device Mode the renamed parameter names are immediately gone and the original plungin parameter names are show up every time. Can reproduce this everytime if I start up BWS. I made a Video. Look at the parameter called "Range" or "Wave" (this are the renamed ones) if I go into the purple mode they went back to "RangeOSC1" and "Wave Os..."
Ah, thanks! Got it and will be fixed in the next update.
Cool Jürgen und vielen Dank. :-)

DBM 10 Bitwig 3.2.4 Xcon pro X v2.05 (mackie control mode)

Selecting "layer 2" remaps buttons:
"f3" = execute command from settings
"layer 2" + "f3" = plugin window

"device / plugin window" = parameter (normal behaviour)
"Shift" = does something with my master fader (strange behaviour)
"Shift" + "device / plugin window" = does not work (strange behaviour)

"Punch in" & "puch out" buttons leds are not active. Bitwig UI shows the activated state of the punch but the Qcon Pro X only lights up when pressed. The Qcon pro x doesn't provide feedback on the active or inactive punch options.

See this is the stuff Im afraid of with midi controllers. Even though Moss is working very hard to make great scripts, the DAWS like Bitwig never allow stuff to work right for long. Its just not a long term solution and yet only Ableton seems to get all the lasting controller support. How long has midi been around and yet these problems still persist. To me the controller is one of the most fundamental things to be addressed and the various DAWS seem disinclined to prioritize matters. I think its an industry issue.

dot.solenoid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:50 am DBM 10 Bitwig 3.2.4 Xcon pro X v2.05 (mackie control mode)

Selecting "layer 2" remaps buttons:
"f3" = execute command from settings
"layer 2" + "f3" = plugin window

"device / plugin window" = parameter (normal behaviour)
"Shift" = does something with my master fader (strange behaviour)
"Shift" + "device / plugin window" = does not work (strange behaviour)

"Punch in" & "puch out" buttons leds are not active. Bitwig UI shows the activated state of the punch but the Qcon Pro X only lights up when pressed. The Qcon pro x doesn't provide feedback on the active or inactive punch options.
I tried the 2.x firmware once and had similar results. I went back to 1.15, which works totally fine.

Anyone can tell me what is checked and unchecked into the komplete kontrol software midi configuration ? My A61 from NI does not work anymore...
Bests

Well Now it works with the following settings.
In Bitwig I had to select :
Midi In - Komplete Kontrol A DAW & Komplete kontrol A midi
Midi Out - Komplete Kontrol A DAW AND Komplete A DAW (???)

My komplete Kontrol config has the following setup : Nothing is checked...

Weird isn't it ?

Has this been resolved? I am having the same issue with my KK M32 controller in combination with Maschine Mikro MK3 controller (on a Mac and without opening any NI software, just the ports are not there in Bitwig, you either have the Maschine ports or the KK M32 DAW port, but cannot have both, and what's active probably depends who "gets" to Bitwig first). Just to be clear, the behavior of the two controllers when connected to the same computer is erratic within Bitwig. If I reboot the system with both controllers connected, then Bitwig sees all MIDI ports for both controllers (the KK M32 DAW port included), but both controller stay in MIDI mode without any DrivenByMoss functionality when I open Bitwig... just plain and simple MIDI mode. If I then disconnect one of the (without rebooting) the other stays in simple MIDI mode, unless I disconnect and then reconnect it (leaving the other one disconnected)... at which point the DrivenByMoss functionality becomes active. But if I reconnect the other one then everything goes to "shit" again.

I have never been able (in any DAW) to use two KK controllers at the same time, only one controller can interface with the underlying DAW integration process and there is no procedure/button combo on the controller to even switch focus of the DAW integration process to a particular controller (like it is possible, for example, when using Komplete Kontrol software or Maschine software).

However, I never thought this could be a problem when using one KK controller in combination with the Maschine Mikro MK3 controller, because I did not think that the Maschine Mikro MK3 controller use or interfere with the DAW integration process/port at all... but maybe I am wrong or NI has changed something.

I have contacted NI support several times in the past re: the 2 KK controller at the same time issue, they acknowledge it and provided no solution... which is weird because they are going against people buying more than one of their controllers... however I never thought I would have my KK M32 battle with my Maschine Mikro MK3... but that's what's happening now.

Please let me know if this can be solved on your side, if not I will contact NI again.

moss wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:39 am
Contour wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:10 pm Hi Moss,

NI integration looks awesome but I encountered an issue.

When installing Maschine Mikro Mk3 and Komplete Kontrol M32 according to instructions only the Maschine script notified it is successfully installed and is ready to use. KK M32 seems to function like a normal midi controller with no special functions available. The Mikro script seems to work, albeit the big knob is sending some mackie etc messages which only decrease the selected value (vol, pan or send 1) - maybe I missed something on installation I'll have to check.

Would be nice to get the KK m32 script also working but no luck so far.

I should note that I also use the Moss beatstep script which works as advertised on the BS.
Is this on Mac or Windows?
This is without loading a Maschine or Kontrol plugin?
Have you tried to restart your computer with both devices connected and turned on?

marcora wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:11 pm I have never been able (in any DAW) to use two KK controllers at the same time, only one controller can interface with the underlying DAW integration process and there is no procedure/button combo on the controller to even switch focus of the DAW integration process to a particular controller (like it is possible, for example, when using Komplete Kontrol software or Maschine software).
Using 2 KK controllers is simply not supported by NI. No idea why they made such a decision.

However, I think there is also an issue with controller detection introduced somewhere in the 3.2.x line, which I cannot put my finger on yet.

Return to “Controller Scripting”