Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3948 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:43 am

On another note: Will there be a RE version? I demoed Legend when it was on may sale and compared it to Viking 2. While I think Legend sounded a little more appealing than Viking 2, I still chose the latter because it has loads of cv connectivity on its backside, and I am in modular fever mode for the time being. I like the sound of Obsession good enough to give it a chance as member of my modular orchestra but it has to offer some more connectivity than Legend. So here is one more feature request to the pool.
MPC One, Deepmind 6, Karma, Prophecy, Bassstation 2, Fantom 6, JD-Xi, MU100R/VL7 w. BC1, Macbook Air MQD32H/A 13", Keystep, Reason 11.

User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
12501 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:54 am

IncarnateX wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:43 am
On another note: Will there be a RE version?
Synapse Audio is currently working on the RE version. This post by Richard is found at the first page of this thread:
Richard_Synapse wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:50 am
antic604 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:42 am
Oh, and is there an RE planned? :pray:
The Rack Extension is planned for mid-July, a few things related to the GUI must be re-arranged for reasons specific to the RE format. The core is working in Reason already and has been ever since we started developing the plugin. Similar to The Legend, we use our cross-platform VST/AU/AAX/RE framework here. This is the reason btw why the GUI has similar proportions like The Legend does.

Richard
I am not able to use it myself as i do not have Reason here but AFAIK when you bought the VST plugin you can get the RE for free. I guess you have to contact official support for that when the RE was released.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2020 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

User avatar
Sound Author
KVRian
662 posts since 8 Mar, 2008 from Crestview, Florida

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:01 am

I'm not sure if this feature has been requested before, but I think it would be great if we could lock individual trimmers in the Voice Edit section so we can randomize everything else and leave the ones we want unaffected. This would make really hands-on programming a lot easier. It's a pain in the butt fine tuning things the way you want, then realizing "oh wait, I should also randomize the other trimmer too... WHOOPSIE".

User avatar
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3948 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Ingonator wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:54 am
I am not able to use it myself as i do not have Reason here but AFAIK when you bought the VST plugin you can get the RE for free.
Thanks, but I want to pay for the RE and get the VSTi for free, so I can give it back to Richard and tell him to give it to someone else.
MPC One, Deepmind 6, Karma, Prophecy, Bassstation 2, Fantom 6, JD-Xi, MU100R/VL7 w. BC1, Macbook Air MQD32H/A 13", Keystep, Reason 11.

AnX
KVRAF
7651 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:18 pm

IncarnateX wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:56 pm
Ingonator wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:54 am
I am not able to use it myself as i do not have Reason here but AFAIK when you bought the VST plugin you can get the RE for free.
Thanks, but I want to pay for the RE and get the VSTi for free, so I can give it back to Richard and tell him to give it to someone else.
doesn't work like that, if you buy one and don't want the other one, just don't ask for it.

User avatar
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3948 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:19 pm

I was joking, man. But yes, I will wait for the RE and trial it.
MPC One, Deepmind 6, Karma, Prophecy, Bassstation 2, Fantom 6, JD-Xi, MU100R/VL7 w. BC1, Macbook Air MQD32H/A 13", Keystep, Reason 11.

User avatar
Sound Author
KVRian
662 posts since 8 Mar, 2008 from Crestview, Florida

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:32 pm

Sound Author wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:01 am
I'm not sure if this feature has been requested before, but I think it would be great if we could lock individual trimmers in the Voice Edit section so we can randomize everything else and leave the ones we want unaffected. This would make really hands-on programming a lot easier. It's a pain in the butt fine tuning things the way you want, then realizing "oh wait, I should also randomize the other trimmer too... WHOOPSIE".
To be clear, I don't think every single pot trimmer should be lockable. That would be insane. But maybe a special locking option for the front panel controls ("Lock Trimmers") that would lock all the trimmers associated with that control. Then you wouldn't have to worry about tedious individual locks for each and every trimmer, which, as I said, would be stupid.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
10150 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:43 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:20 am
What synth emulation doesn't add features or deviate from the workflow? There are exactly zero that I know of.
Most do the first but I don't think many do the latter. Maybe little things like a full ADSR envelope instead of an ADS(D) one but nothing major.
So this whole idea that customers want exacting emulations in the first place is a bit of a straw man argument. Customers want the sound of classic synths, in a feature set that at minimum matches the hardware but expands on it.
If that were the case I don't think anyone would be going out of their way to compare OBsession to the Arturia thing. I think there is a fair chunk of the market that is looking for the one that most closely matches the sound of the original. And then you have to consider how much of the appeal of the original comes from it's simplicity and/or the workflow and people's familiarity with it. Look at the fuss in the previous thread about OBsession not looking like the hardware.

There are things that very clearly matter to people and are likely to affect sales. So the dev has to decide whether losing sales from one group will be made up for by adding features that appeal to a different group. Without spending millions on serious market research, they either have to guess or decide to do what suits them.

I think Rich strikes a pretty good balance, as do most other devs doing this kind of thing, but they are never going to please everyone. That said, maybe they could do two versions - the pure emulation, that is exactly like the original, and another version that is more "inspired by the sound of..." and uses a lot of more modern features. It would be a good way of leveraging all the work that goes into getting the emulation right but you never know if it will be worth the effort.
IncarnateX wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:42 am
Don`t understand either. What is wrong with wanting an emulation with extended features when this is one obvious option of recreating it in software? Those who want to stay true to the restrictions can just avoid using them. Or is that the problem? “Plz, don’t make extended features, I get so tempted to use them and lose sense of authenticity.” :P
Or maybe it's a case of the simplicity of the original being a large part of its appeal? And just because you don't have to use a feature if you don't want to doesn't mean you don't have to deal with the fact that it is there, cluttering up what was once a beautiful, clear interface. That's why devs tend to separate the add-ons into a separate interface but constantly having to switch between the panels creates its own workflow problems. It's not as straightforward as you make it out to be, it is quite a difficult balancing act.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:20 am
Obsession is already in the ballpark as far as I'm concerned but could've been improved by adding a few LFO shapes and tempo sync, or using trimmers for velocity to save mod slots. Nothing crazy.
Those things can be achieved now, with the features OBsession already has. You just want convenience so you don't have to work so hard. It seems to me that a large part of the problem is that too many people are so spoiled by other VSTi serving everything up on a platter that they aren't capable of solving all these little problems for themselves. But for another group of people, that very thing is a large part of the appeal of old-school synths - the joy you get from finding a way to do something that you really shouldn't be able to do with a particular instrument. Limitations can be hugely inspiring. If everything is too easy, there is less satisfaction in doing anything.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C | Cubase | DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Union, bx_oberhausen, Vacuum Pro, Arcsyn, Phase Plant, Mono/Fury, Pigments, Aparillo | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova.

User avatar
IncarnateX
KVRAF
3948 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:41 pm

BONES wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:43 pm
Or maybe it's a case of the simplicity of the original being a large part of its appeal?
You can always wait for the Behringer version, depending on your need for authenticity and size of wallet, in case you cannot afford an original one. :P

However, DEVs seem to find design solutions to this as well, like having a discrete page botton that takes you to the extended features, i.e. the Legend RE version hides its effects on the backside.
MPC One, Deepmind 6, Karma, Prophecy, Bassstation 2, Fantom 6, JD-Xi, MU100R/VL7 w. BC1, Macbook Air MQD32H/A 13", Keystep, Reason 11.

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
10261 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:13 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:22 pm
revvy wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:50 pm
Richard, more slots in the Mod Matrix please?

As so many otherwise 'normal' functions need to be modded from the matrix (Osc level, noise level, etc) more than 6 slots would be nice.
I agree. Frankly, in instances like this, I wouldn't begrudge developers from just using a more thoughtful approach to modernizing classic synths while making it easy to recreate the original. What do I mean? Let's take Obsession and imagine some of these tweaks like...

1. Instead of buttons, use volume knobs for oscillators and noise. "But the original had buttons!" Yeah, but then scale the knob so 100% equals same level as button on, and in the case of Osc 2 volume, mark the 50% setting that equates to the hardware.

Benefit: You can set Osc levels without needing to use Mod Matrix slots.

2. Add Filter Velocity and Amp Velocity trimmers to the front panel like RePro.

Benefit: Don't need to go to the back panel, don't need to waste a Mod Matrix slot.

3. Keytracking as a knob. Mark the full range. Same benefit as 1 and 2.

4. Sync'd LFO option for standard waveforms.

5. Additional LFO shapes (Triangle and Saw - technically, the saw is missing from LFO2, and a triangle just makes sense).

Not one of those things would've prevented Obsession from being an OB-Xa clone, and they would've expanded the front-panel capabilities, saved mod slots, improved the workflow.

Don't get me wrong, I like Obsession, but there's room for improvement still.
And make oscillators mod sources.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
12501 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:56 am

The amount of patches available for OBsession seems to grow quite fast:

A) commercial soundsets:
- Resonate Sound Design:
viewtopic.php?f=257&t=548770
https://www.resonatesounddesign.com/evoke
- VSP - VintageSynthPads:
viewtopic.php?f=257&t=548813
https://vintagesynthpads.com/ocart/Syna ... _Obsession

B) Free OBsession patches:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/obsess ... /downloads
viewtopic.php?t=547963
viewtopic.php?p=7823661
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2020 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

User avatar
Yorrrrrr
KVRian
1143 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from Colombia

Post Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:58 am

Ingonator wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:56 am
The amount of patches available for OBsession seems to grow quite fast:

A) commercial soundsets:
- Resonate Sound Design: viewtopic.php?f=257&t=548770
- VSP: viewtopic.php?f=257&t=548813

B) Free OBsession patches:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/obsess ... /downloads
viewtopic.php?t=547963
https://vintagesynthpads.com/ocart/Syna ... _Obsession

User avatar
zvenx
KVRAF
8343 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:06 am

Yorrrrrr wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:58 am
Ingonator wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:56 am
The amount of patches available for OBsession seems to grow quite fast:

A) commercial soundsets:
- Resonate Sound Design: viewtopic.php?f=257&t=548770
- VSP: viewtopic.php?f=257&t=548813

B) Free OBsession patches:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/obsess ... /downloads
viewtopic.php?t=547963
https://vintagesynthpads.com/ocart/Syna ... _Obsession
I believe
your:
https://vintagesynthpads.com/ocart/Syna ... _Obsession

and Ingo's: - VSP: viewtopic.php?f=257&t=548813
are the same library.
rsp
sound sculptist

User avatar
Yorrrrrr
KVRian
1143 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from Colombia

Post Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:10 am

Oh yes, you're right. Excuse me.

User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
12501 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:12 am

I just added the original links for the commercial soundsets besides the links for the KVR threads.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2020 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”