New Linux builds, updated to rev. 9775

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SmoothMountain wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 am I'm getting consistent crashes from both Zebra2 (2.9.1) and Podolski. Both are build 9775. I can open them, they play sounds just fine, and I can edit parameters that have round interface elements. But anything that is a dropdown, square or rectangular element (like the pitch bend range on Zebra2) crashes.

I'm running the latest Reaper (6.12c) on Ubuntu 19.10 with a low latency kernal, and stock (Gnome, I think) GUI.
I tried running Zebra revision 9775 in Reaper 6.12c on Ubuntu Studio 19.10 (using Xfce) and on Pop OS 19.10 (using Gnome).
And it works in both distributions, I can open dropdown menus without problems (tried with VST2 and VST3).
So either it's the exact combination of Ubuntu and Gnome which is causing trouble, or it's something specific to your setup.
Are you using the VST2 or VST3 version? And can you try it with the other format as well?

That's about as much as I can help with my very limited knowledge of Linux. I'll try to ask Alex if he has an idea.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Both vst2 and vst3 versions crash. I tried Zebra2 in Bitwig 3.0.3 (I keep it around for testing) and it also crashed. I sure hope we can figure this out, I *love* the U-He plugins!

Zebra2 and vst3 twin working together fine
(and then with the other synths) this in reaper 5.987
in ubuntu studio 19.10, with nvidia graphics card/driver,
not nouveau and not motherboard video. The Studio is
fully up to date, with KX repository enabled,
except still using kernel 5.3.0-51-lowlatency.
Also works in Studio 20.04 And testing yields
a jaunty new project :party:
Cheers

I'm using a Komplete Audio 6 USB interface.
As a test, I started Reaper from the command line, to see if I could get any helpful crash info.

Setting the audio device to Pulse Audio, when Reaper crashes (after touching a non-round parameter in Z2) I get:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::wrapexcept<boost::lock_error>'
what(): boost: mutex lock failed in pthread_mutex_lock: Invalid argument
Aborted (core dumped)

Setting the audio device to ALSA, I get:
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Setting the audio device to Jack, I get:
JackEngine::XRun: client = REAPER was not finished, state = Running
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
JackEngine::XRun: client = REAPER was not finished, state = Triggered
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I remember getting illegal instruction errors in an older machine that didn't have AVX instructions, but this one does. It's still an older machine, but I specifically checked to make sure the cpu did AVX instructions. The cpu is a core i7 4790. There are several plugins that wouldn't run on the older machine that run fine on this one.

Could the graphics card be the culprit? I'm plaining on upgrading to a much more powerful AMD based system in the next few months, I can pick up a graphics card (I don't do games, so it doesn't need to be a high end card) and see if that helps.

Edit: still crashing, but not generating crash reports...

I think it may be your system gui setup. Things work OK here in both 19.10 and 20.04 Ubuntu Studio, each uses xfce as system gui.

I have a cobwebs-n-rust maudio pci soundcard, i7 2600 cpu, an old nvidia 9400 pcie video card, and 8 gig ram, so your hardware is
probably newer/better, and likely fine.

I would install Ubuntu Studio 20.04 iso

https://ubuntustudio.org/download/

on a 16 gig or larger usbstick,
to test. If you have windows, an app called rufus

https://rufus.ie/

will do that easily, or a linux tested utility like unetbootin may be in your current setup to do the same. (Use gparted to set
the boot flag on the usbstick) Reboot and use early boot option to run the Ubuntu Studio, copy your .u-he and .vst/u-he folders to the new setup, and see how things look.

AVLinux also should work, same core apps in a different dancehall.
It's found at

www.bandshed.net

and has been around since the triceratops went vegan :wink:

Your login manager might support multiple system gui's,
with chooseable icon on the panel, seen at logout/login, or boot,
in which case, you could install xfce, lxde, openbox or
other system gui, perhaps using a different graphics lib that will
handle the rectangles. (pretty sure this same issue came up soon
after the first U-he linux releases.
Cheers

I tried a couple of different GUIs, LDXE and "Ubuntu on Wayland". Same issues/crashes.

I don't want to get into testing different distros right now, I'll be building a new machine in the coming weeks, so I'll do that on the new machine.

I just tried xfce, no change...
I'll report back when the new machine is online.

EDIT: This issue was fixed with Bitwig 3.2.5.

Original post: With version 3.2 of Bitwig it seems all the U-He plugins (as opposed to other 3rd party plugins I've tested) no longer can get focus, thus keyboard presses (like arrow keys to browse patches) no longer is caught by the plugin, and are instead caught by the host.

The install script will have problems with an existing Tunefiles directory:

Do you agree the license's terms? [y/n] y
cp: cannot overwrite non-directory '/home/mevla/.u-he/Zebra2/Tunefiles' with directory 'Zebra2/Tunefiles'

% ll /home/mevla/.u-he/Zebra2/Tunefiles

drwxr-xr-x 2 mevla mevla 20480 Nov 14 2018 00-c/
drwxr-xr-x 2 mevla mevla 20480 Nov 14 2018 d-f/
drwxr-xr-x 2 mevla mevla 16384 Nov 14 2018 g-i/
drwxr-xr-x 2 mevla mevla 12288 Nov 14 2018 j-l/
drwxr-xr-x 2 mevla mevla 16384 Nov 14 2018 m-o/
drwxr-xr-x 2 mevla mevla 20480 Nov 14 2018 p-r/
drwxr-xr-x 2 mevla mevla 32768 Nov 14 2018 s-u/
drwxr-xr-x 2 mevla mevla 4096 Nov 14 2018 v-aa/

The very quick fix was to remove the Tunefiles directory from the installation package.

Hi!

I'm trying out Podolski on Linux Mint xfce 20 (great, great instrument, by the way). I'm seeing something extremely weird, on the other hand : if I load it and then put a JS effect after it (say, the Volume/Pan smoother from the utility category), the JS FX's GUI appears as broken - its sliders are all the way left and the range of each parameter appears distorted, rendering it unusable -. And it even happens in any other track of the same project; I have to shut down Reaper and open it again to reset Podolski's strange influence.

This doesn't happen in two other scenarios :

- If the JS FX was already loaded before inserting Podolski in the FX chain
- If I save Podolski as a FX chain with its GUI disabled - that is, only with Reaper's internal, plain gui showing the barebone parameters as sliders. Once I enable Podolski's GUI, any JS inserted after it will appear as broken.

I hope it can be fixed easily, since I think Podoslki is indeed a great synth. I think this also happen with the Diva demo I tried out at some point.

Thanks in advance!

Hi !

Is there any progress in making ZebraHZ and Repro run on current distributions ?
I am running Ubuntu Studio 20.04 and ZebraHZ and Repro does still not work but crashes Ardour6
Ardour has since January been updated both to version 6.0 and later to 6.2 but it still crashes if I try to load those plugins, Every other U-he plugin as well as other 3rd party stuff works and 6 months have passed since the announcement.
Alex fixed the crash in Ardour/Mixbus when opening the GUI.
Repro needs to stay at rev. 9669, so don't use it with Ardour/Mixbus.
If you request ZebraHZ, it will still be rev. 9724 for the moment, so be cautious with that one as well.
I did request a license email a few days ago to check if ZebraHZ was fixed but at that time there was no change. My apologies if they have been addressed lately.

Don't get me wrong, I love the once that works and I am very patient but I have forgotten if this is an Ardour problem or U-he problem so an update to what (if anything) is going on regarding the problem still not addressed would be nice.

Thanks

Subarumannen wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:30 pmIs there any progress in making ZebraHZ and Repro run on current distributions ? [...] I have forgotten if this is an Ardour problem or U-he problem
For what it's worth, my experience while using Reaper has been the opposite: these have worked absolutely flawlessly in that DAW, also on cutting-edge-current distro versions (including the newest Ubuntu and also the most recent releases of some distros closer to vanilla Debian, namely MX Linux / antiX -- everything both old and new I've ran Reaper and u-he stuff on, during this summer, basically). I had never even heard about such a problem before :shrug:

No problem here running ZHZ and Repro either; I'm using Bitwig and Carla.
I'll install Ardour6 later to see what I can turn up.

They work fine in Carla and it is of course possible to run them in Carla (as plugin) in Ardour6 so that is good but it is easy to forget about the problem and crash Ardour from time to time. I was hoping this would be addressed the same way the rest of the u-he plugins were eventually fixed..

SDG wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:46 pm Hi!

I'm trying out Podolski on Linux Mint xfce 20 (great, great instrument, by the way). I'm seeing something extremely weird, on the other hand : if I load it and then put a JS effect after it (say, the Volume/Pan smoother from the utility category), the JS FX's GUI appears as broken - its sliders are all the way left and the range of each parameter appears distorted, rendering it unusable -. And it even happens in any other track of the same project; I have to shut down Reaper and open it again to reset Podolski's strange influence.
Sounds very weird indeed, I'll make a ticket in the database, so Alex can have a look at it.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Return to “u-he Linux support”