Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OP-Xa V

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:11 am
Arashi wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:34 pm
layzer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:11 amyou could just use OBXD, it doesnt have any effects. :idea:
Unfortunately it needs effects, because it sounds like garbage without them (and yet no amount of lipstick will hide the fact that it’s a pig).
Yeah, it was worth the original asking price, but not much more. Sorry, I’m with you on this one. Lackluster.
I overstated it. It’s not terrible. It’s okay, and you can’t argue with the price. Just don’t find it all that impressive. I actually paid for the iOS version because there’s a serious lack of plugins over there. Still don’t use it much though (and I only use the iPad to sketch ideas when I’m away from the studio anyway).

Maybe it’s possible to make it sound good if you put in the work to find the usable ranges and sweet spots, but (while they’re not OB-X emulations) I can just drop in OB-Xa V, Obsession, or bx_oberhausen and they all sound great right away…even the init patch with no effects. (I also have an OB-6, but it doesn’t seem reasonable to compare a free plugin to expensive hardware.) So I can’t think of any reason to recommend OB-Xd other than being available for free (assuming it still is).
Stormchild

I was never impressed with OB-Xd. It was "fine", like the other 9000 great freebies out there I tested, but didnt sound special TO ME. What's others think about it is allowed also. To each their own. :)

Kinda shocked others are discussing "individual voice" tweakings like it is some kind of black art. OB-Xa V has individual panning, and adjustable detunes to the point of being non-musical... if needed like that. Not sure why people think it can't? It's all right there. I found it in 5 seconds. But, I don't have to give voice chip number two a wavering voltage tween .2 and 1.8 to have a musically functional VSTi. Just tweak and play is easily good enough to enjoy FOR ME. not fretting over 1000% accurate hardware emulation of one particular unit on a Tuesday at 50% humidity and 78 degrees.

Arashi wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:57 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:11 am
Arashi wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:34 pm
layzer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:11 amyou could just use OBXD, it doesnt have any effects. :idea:
Unfortunately it needs effects, because it sounds like garbage without them (and yet no amount of lipstick will hide the fact that it’s a pig).
Yeah, it was worth the original asking price, but not much more. Sorry, I’m with you on this one. Lackluster.
I overstated it. It’s not terrible. It’s okay, and you can’t argue with the price. Just don’t find it all that impressive. I actually paid for the iOS version because there’s a serious lack of plugins over there. Still don’t use it much though (and I only use the iPad to sketch ideas when I’m away from the studio anyway).

Maybe it’s possible to make it sound good if you put in the work to find the usable ranges and sweet spots, but (while they’re not OB-X emulations) I can just drop in OB-Xa V, Obsession, or bx_oberhausen and they all sound great right away…even the init patch with no effects. (I also have an OB-6, but it doesn’t seem reasonable to compare a free plugin to expensive hardware.) So I can’t think of any reason to recommend OB-Xd other than being available for free (assuming it still is).
No, they want $50 for it now.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

it's free

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:57 pm .....
No, they want $50 for it now.
Indeed..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

That's what I also felt. But actually, you can simply download it for free with the download button. You can buy it for $49 however to support the developer.

On the same page: https://www.discodsp.com/obxd/
OB-Xd Desktop has no restrictions and is free to use. Buy to support further development, thank you!

OB-Xd is also included with Unify.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:29 pm That's what I also felt. But actually, you can simply download it for free with the download button. You can buy it for $49 however to support the developer.

OB-Xd Desktop has no restrictions and is free to use. Buy to support further development, thank you!
Ahh thanks.
Donationware.
rsp
sound sculptist

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:29 pm That's what I also felt. But actually, you can simply download it for free with the download button. You can buy it for $49 however to support the developer.

But discoDSP is not the original developer! Or is that money is going to the original developer without a portion for discoDSP?! I actually don't understand what discoDSP relation to this synth (obxd)!

I am not sure, I just posted what I saw. :)

You can be fairly sure that over time,Disco DSP will try and move OB-Xd away from being a free synth,to a paid version...

It was fairly obvious what their intentions were when they so kindly offered to take the source code and continue the development :)
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:04 am You can be fairly sure that over time,Disco DSP will try and move OB-Xd away from being a free synth,to a paid version...

It was fairly obvious what their intentions were when they so kindly offered to take the source code and continue the development :)
It's reasonable for people to be paid for their work, and honestly I'd rather pay for things I use so I have some assurance they'll at least be kept working, if not improved. But in this case — if they want to compete with paid Oberheim emulations — they have their work cut out for them, because the product is not competitive with any of them in its current state.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”