ARM macs

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

echosystm wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 pm
fmr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:14 pm Don't feed the Apple fanboy troll. He's talking out if his ass. And he has ZERO experience regarding Windows. It's just "hearsaying" :roll:
I wish I had less experience with Windows.

To be fair to Microsoft, most of the problems with the Windows ecosystem have nothing to do with them and everything to do with all the low quality hardware manufacturers, who abandon support for their products as soon as they possibly can.
Yes, its not microsoft causing these problems...

But still there is a reason for all those problems in Windows that apple prevents with its hardware restrictions. Maybe the strategy of Microsoft is slowly caught up by time, yet microsoft keeps true to their strategy.

Long time ago microsoft used to have a HCL, as long as you choice hardware on that list, you where relatively save.

echosystm wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:36 pm
Haptix wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:41 pm What is there to fix for lets say after 5 - 6 years? Once it works, it works. No need for fixing.
Meltdown and Spectre are the only arguments anyone needs to prove you wrong on this point.
Actually, apart from vendor applied fixes, there's also fixes in Windows itself for that.

Apart from the fact that neither Meltdown nor Spectre were ever exploited, of course. Which makes them... pretty much irrelevant. They sound pretty damn good though. I'm sure they hired a top tier ad agency for those campaigns.

echosystm wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 pm
fmr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:14 pm Don't feed the Apple fanboy troll. He's talking out if his ass. And he has ZERO experience regarding Windows. It's just "hearsaying" :roll:
I wish I had less experience with Windows.

To be fair to Microsoft, most of the problems with the Windows ecosystem have nothing to do with them and everything to do with all the low quality hardware manufacturers, who abandon support for their products as soon as they possibly can.
Fortunately, and contrary to what happens in the Apple ecosystem, one has plenty of choices, and can even assemble his own computer, in the end choosing the vendors that give him the best assurance in terms of support.

And in case some part fails, you can replace JUST THAT part, NOT the whole machine. I wish I could do the same with a Mac.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:57 pm Fortunately, and contrary to what happens in the Apple ecosystem, one has plenty of choices, and can even assemble his own computer, in the end choosing the vendors that give him the best assurance in terms of support.

And in case some part fails, you can replace JUST THAT part, NOT the whole machine. I wish I could do the same with a Mac.
PC component manufacturers (Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock, etc.) are the worst, when it comes to support. They completely abandon their products, as soon as they stop selling them.

The only way to "build" a PC that has any kind of quality and support, is to take parts from an enterprise workstation from Dell or Lenovo. Those companies actually offer decent long term support, but still nowhere near as good as Apple.

echosystm wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:18 pm PC component manufacturers (Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock, etc.) are the worst, when it comes to support. They completely abandon their products, as soon as they stop selling them.
What do you mean by "abandon their products, as soon as they stop selling them". And Apple stops releasing security updates for an OS that's more than 2 years old.

Again, if some part fails, I can easily replace it. I don't really need any "support" besides that. Being able to do that is support enough for me :shrug:

For 100 bucks I can replace a motherboard in my PC. Can you replace a motherboard in your Mac? For how much?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:48 pm What do you mean by "abandon their products, as soon as they stop selling them".
Mainly BIOS/firmware updates. They do a shockingly bad job at it. Dell and Lenovo are decent enough, but only on their enterprise products. I work in tech and this is the kind of thing that matters to me.

Anyway, I can't be bothered with this Mac vs. PC stuff anymore. Each to their own.

^Have your BIOS / firmware not worked properly, that you feel the need them to have constant updates?
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

Haptix wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:26 am ^Have your BIOS / firmware not worked properly, that you feel the need them to have constant updates?
^^^ THIS ^^^

And, as I said, you can easily replace the MoBo in your Windows machine, as well as the CPU. Try that in a Mac.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”