How do you get your drums softer and warmer ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got EZDrummer 2. I'm looking to make the drums sound softer and warmer.

I've applied Neutron's transient shaper and Ozone's vintage tape, and this helps some.
Just wondering what you do to achieve a warmth and softness?

I am thinking of trying a demo of Waves Kramer tape, or the J37. Although I am trying to convince myself to stay away from Waves for a couple of reasons.
I do have IK's Saturator X, and tried the Iron transformer setting. Didn't do that much. Just looking for ideas...
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

question is why you have bought these drums if you are not happy with its sound...
so, what about swapping them - look for drums recorded with tea towel on real tape machine which should be warm enough without the need of heavy processing

kvaca wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:51 pm question is why you have bought these drums if you are not happy with its sound...
I'm happy with the sound, and they'll work on a majority of songs I'll do. But there's just those times where I'd like them to be softer and warmer for certain songs.

Play softer. Assuming EZDrummer has velocity layers, reduce your velocity on the MIDI notes for the individual hits. Whacking a ride cymbal is completely different to gently tapping it - and no amount of post processing will get you there convincingly.

Recommend cane sticks and brushes if the VST has those too. The drummer in my band takes care of this - on rare gentle songs the sticks take a break and out come the mallets etc.

There are different things you can try. I'll try to list things out in some order of importance:

1. Start with drum sounds that are closest to the end product in your head. This sounds obvious, but it's key. A kit recorded to work as a metal kit with a very tight tuning that's very clicky and been pre-EQ'd to scoop out the low end and add a ton of click to the kick for example, just will never sound like a 40's jazz recording.

2. Someone else mentioned lower velocities. This is important too. Good drummers will mix themselves as they play. Go soft on the hats, and don't bash the kick and snare (velocity-wise) if you're going for a more mellow sound.

3. Mix with the faders and consider muting channels. You want warmer? Maybe cut out the cymbal direct microphones and dial back the OH and Room microphones for a more direct sound. Or if you got dark room microphones that sound good, maybe those should be the bulk of the drum sound, and use less directs and OH microphones. Remember: cymbals seldom had spot microphones on them, so don't be afraid to mute any cymbal direct channels. Same thing with snare bottom/side microphones, or maybe some kick channels. The mute button can be your friend.

4. Roll-off the high end with EQ (lowpass filter). I frigging LOVE the Kush Axis EQ for this. It's pretty much got an eternal lowpass filter on it that goes down pretty deep (it cuts as far down as 8.5k, though the center is higher). Want to darken up some tracks? Put Axis on a bunch of them, and then if you need more high, use the high band on the EQ to make up for the effect of the lowpass.

5. Want a warmer, softer kick? Try a gate with a slow-ish attack on the kick direct microphones/bus. This is a nice trick for a pillowy kick sound, but it's not going to change the sound of the kick in the overheads or room. But if you dropped the volume of those back in step 2, that'll get you a warmer sound. Maybe try a transient shaper and cut back on some attack.

6. Soft clipping. Not a terrible idea to shave some of those fast digital peaks with a soft clipper or saturator. Just a few db's. Not looking to distort anything, just shave down the peaks. Kush Omega TWK is great for this.

7. I'd probably stay away from most VCA compressors, maybe do less compression on the kit overall, but DBX style compressors, for example, have a very distinct "thwack" to the envelope shape which works great for punchy/snappy drums, but not necessarily what I think you're going for.

8. Try a good tape emulation plugin. I really like the IK Tapes but they're super CPU intensive. A good tape plugin will shape the sound of the transients just by itself, but I wouldn't expect them to be a magic bullet and do all the work for you. More of a finishing touch.

...Just some ideas. Experiment with different techniques, combining some of this advice, auditioning different plugins, and see how it goes.

Just been trying the same, I'm no expert but I agree with Funkybot's Evil Twin that a lot can be done with EQ, also the free CHOW tape VST comes highly recommended.

-Funkybot, some good info there, appreciate it. I'll be trying a few of those.

-hotmitts, I can't find Chow, I'll keep looking.

MasterTuner wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:56 am -Funkybot, some good info there, appreciate it. I'll be trying a few of those.

-hotmitts, I can't find Chow, I'll keep looking.
Yup i was having trouble finding the link but here it is
https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... /tag/2.0.0
Also here's a thread about it
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=536112

I soak them in warm water for 15 mins with some added fabric softener.
No signature here!

Hornet Plugins Tape is only 10 EUR for the next twelve hours (but they have sales quite often). Try the Swiss 15 IPS deck.

You´re asking about a general Topic that is not only relevant for Drums and yes - there are general Methods (Frequency Balance, Compression, Reverb ...), but at the End of the Day it´s all about a good Mix.

"Soft" and "warm" are also unexplained Terms here ... maybe you could demonstrate what you mean first before we waste Time and end up in Gear-Pushing again?

Have you tried Convolution already? Very short Reverbs that don´t make a Tail? Very simple Method to soften Transients and influence the Spectrum ...

Return to “Effects”