No thread for MusicDevelopments Syne?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syne

You can set the number of cents per octave in Syne.
Apart from this, the program offers dozens of tunings to choose from.

There is no microtonal support in RapidComposer.
Thanks,
Attila

No support for Scala or TUN files in Syne though? Synths that can't be retuned quickly have no use at all for me I'm afraid, so if you don't support it yet please count this as a feature request.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Scala and TUN files support will be added in a next version.
A new update is available, which fixes a few issues reported in this topic (thank you!).

Syne v1.07 Improvements:
  • Fixed: Note On with zero velocity was not handled as a Note Off, which resulted hanging notes
  • Fixed: when adding Noise, slider displayed frequency instead of the default harmonics
  • Fixed: Waveforms and Wave Morpher left 'Fifths' and 'Fifths Damping' values untouched when generating a random waveform
  • Fixed possible crash when closing the plug-in window
  • [Windows] Fixed: mouse disappeared after value editing in detached windows
  • Stability improvements

Hi and many thanks for this update!
Is there a way (an option I could have missed?) to have the "open module in window" being in front of the plugin's window?

Awesome, can't wait to download this after work.

Wow, that was quick! Will check asap :)

Hi nordickvr,

this is a good idea which I implemented today. The next version will have a new setting:

Thanks!
Attila
nordickvr wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:18 pm Hi and many thanks for this update!
Is there a way (an option I could have missed?) to have the "open module in window" being in front of the plugin's window?

musicdevelopments wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:45 am Hi nordickvr,

this is a good idea which I implemented today. The next version will have a new setting:

Thanks!
Attila
nordickvr wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:18 pm Hi and many thanks for this update!
Let's talk about some serious responsiveness.
Thanks to you!

musicdevelopments wrote: The MusicDevelopments Summer Sale has begun with the following discounts:

RapidComposer (music composition): -40% ($199 $119)
Syne (modular additive synth): -30% ($89 $62)
Melodya (melody generation, motive editing): -20% ($49 $39)

The Summer Sale ends on July 5.
Click for more info: www.musicdevelopments.com
A chance to get Syne with 30% discount.
A great MPE compatible modular Additive Synth.

Regards,
tl.

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 pm I like the idea, especially with the way MIDI controllers are implemented and the timeline idea for things like filters. It should be possible to get some much more organic sounds out of this compared to most additives. Unfortunately, it has flown under the radar a bit.

It's very crashy on OS X Mojave, however. It doesn't like having its window closed.
It certainly has flown under the radar. I only found out today that this exists! Really need to get some demos and reviews happening...

My first impressions, playing around with the demo for half an hour: the UI takes some getting used to, but should improve the more time I spend with it. The hover-over help text really helps. The "filters" are pretty amazing. They're not the usual 2-pole or 4-pole sort of filters; the fact that the sound is represented spectrally means you can make a perfect brick wall filter if you want, and other "impossible things". And the timeline feature gives you huge flexibility in shaping the partials over time.

I loaded up the partial editor with the cymbal preset, added a filter and a timeline so that lower partials decay while higher partials grow then decay later, played some low notes with this setup, and got a pretty respectable gong sound much more easily than I could with a more conventional synth.

I also had three crashes while trying to load wave files. (Got there on the 4th attempt.)

I found some parts of the UI to be unintuitive. It took a while to realise that the level meter contains a master volume control. I spent some time double-clicking on preset names and thinking "why isn't it loading the preset?" before realising I had to click the edit button at top left to actually see the modules.

Quick wishlist:
  • An undo feature. Yes, I know this is really hard to implement. But it would be really useful when editing partials, to be able to go back to what you had before you messed everything up.
  • A "reset" button that takes you back to a blank screen with no modules/presets loaded
  • Scala .scl tuning file support
  • A section in the user guide describing the required format for wavetable files and for CSV files of partials
  • Option to display partial editor and partial viewer with the same y-axis scale. At the moment I think the editor is logarithmic but the viewer is linear? In any case they don't seem to be consistent with each other. (By the way, the colour-coding on the partial editor is very neat!)
  • Partial editor able to export to CSV as well as import. I imagine using Syne alongside other tools or programming languages for audio analysis, and being able to shuffle data back and forth would be useful.
  • ADSR envelope curves able to go both convex or concave. (The fact that we can change the amount of curvature is already good, so of course I'm asking for more!)
  • Something resembling Zynaddsubfx's padsynth algorithm. The weakness of padsynth is that it's based on a pre-generated wavetable, so options for shaping the sound over time are limited. But using something like padsynth to initialise the partial editor would mean you can run the sound through filters and timelines, etc, opening up even more possibilities.
  • Any chance of a Linux version? :-)

Hello ahanysz,

many thanks for your feedback! All your suggestions are great.
A few notes:
"reset": you can start a new preset by clicking on "New Preset" on the preset info menu (clicking on the preset name).
Tuning files will be supported in a next version. I will add exporting CSV too. I think something like padsynth could be easily implemented, maybe as a module. It is a very interesting idea in padsynth to resample the harmonics based on the note frequency.

Thanks!
Attila

ahanysz wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:07 pm
It certainly has flown under the radar. I only found out today that this exists! Really need to get some demos and reviews happening...
Indeed. Very under the radar.

Only discovered the post about the Summer Sale today (now over). Oh, well. Hopefully they still got some sales.

I will happily send a coupon code to everyone who missed the Summer Sale...
Just send me a PM or e-mail. No-one should feel bad about missing the sale.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:28 pm many thanks for your feedback...
Sorry, just thought of two more. Don't get me wrong, I like this synth, that's why I'm showing an interest and asking for improvements :-)

Option for legato mode: don't retrigger envelopes/LFOs/timelines for overlapping notes if legato mode is switched on. (I've found "mono+legato" in the preset voicing options, but either I'm doing something silly or else it's still retriggering even in legato mode. By the way, the option for different portamento shapes is nice!)

Sustain pedal: CC64 extends note lengths. (Tell me if you need more detail on this.)

You are right, legato mode stopped working in a recent update! :dog: I fixed that today.
I expect there will be a new update early next week.

Thanks,
Attila

Return to “Instruments”