Is Halion 6 better overall value than Omnisphere 2.6?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bnz wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:16 pm That looks more like an interesting challenge to me ;-) Why don't you pick one or two Omnisphere pads that you think are impossible to recreate in Halion.

Just to be clear: I'm not even sure about the outcome....
How would you want me to proceed?
Tell you the name of the Omnisphere pads? Send you an audio clip or?
rsp
sound sculptist

Well, the "modeled v. sampled" piano thing is getting a bit off track here. Perhaps even more so than Trilian v. everything else had. The only point that really makes is that for Omni to be closer to it's own branding, you have to buy two more plugins to add to it.

And TBF, the reason NI "sells" more piano libraries is because they package them into Komplete. Doesn't mean that they're the most used.
For me, in fact, I've long stopped wasting time in even installing or loading them up. There are also plenty others I've owned and eventually dumped.
I also won't waste the time in derailment of defending Pianoteq (which is my personal favorite of all instrument plugins).
The other sampled pianos I do keep on my system and regularly open are the Grand 3 ones. And I do have others which rarely get used. Not saying any of them are bad or that they couldn't be used in some context. But barring a George Martin Day in the Life single note thing, I generally go for what sounds and plays like the total instrument it should be to me.

Back to subject and topic at hand, head to head, without adding more plugins to complete them...
H6 has more than decent pianos and bases than Omnisphere by itself does. And for me, it also sounds more natural, less processed and canned than Omni.

Both are great in their own way and both are high quality.
But HALion will take you farther in whatever direction you need than Omni by itself - long before your GAS takes over and has you itching for more.
Equal quality, but HALion is still the overall better value.

I agree with a lot of what you say (and of course disagree with some).

Please note though I said:
I would be shocked if it has sold more than Kontakt Piano libraries costing equivalent pricing.
I didn't say NI pianos. That is I differentiate between the pianos that use Kontakt as not necessarily only those developed by and for Native Instruments to sell..
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:25 pm How would you want me to proceed?
Tell you the name of the Omnisphere pads? Send you an audio clip or?
rsp
Name is sufficient. I have both Omnisphere and Halion :D

I am not saying impossible, ftr, but I am sure to my ears the Omnisphere version will sound night and day better.

Pick Granular Inception Pad and you choose another one.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:44 pm I am not saying impossible, ftr, but I am sure to my ears the Omnisphere version will sound night and day better.

rsp
I think the problem here is we're comparing apples to fruit flies.

If you're taking the overall sound quality of Omnisphere versus HALion 6, comparing "like" sounds, then I agree. Omnisphere has the "better" sound quality, all of this of course being totally subjective.

However, the initial question was which is the better "value" and to that end, there is no question it's HALion 6 as it covers more territory. You can't even dispute this as Omnisphere is missing so much.

Let me put it this way. If I was forced to give up everything I own but just one product and the choice was between HALion 6 and Omnisphere, I would be forced to choose HALion 6.

Having said that, neither one is a desert island synth. Neither one can give me the quality of so many third party libraries I have for Kontakt and other platforms.

Drums
Bass
Guitars
Orchestral
Pianos

Forget it. I wouldn't want either of them.

That's why I don't own just HALion 6 or Omnisphere.

Neither one will fill all my needs. Not even close.

zvenx wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:38 pm .........
If the OP has a friend who has omnisphere that they can go to their place and play with it I think would be the best.
Omnisphere is really my desert island synth.
ymmv
rsp
This is my position and continues to be..
I prefer quality over quantity every day and twice on Sundays...

There are many instruments that have a whole bunch of features, Falcon, Pigments (which I do own a license for) etc etc. even back in the days VAST on the Kurzweil, Z-plane in Emu.(which I also had)..that the sound did nothing for me, so the features did not make me use them more in an actual production.

Features mean much less to me than sound....always has and always will.
The OP should use his own yard stick.
rsp
sound sculptist

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:56 pm
zvenx wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:44 pm I am not saying impossible, ftr, but I am sure to my ears the Omnisphere version will sound night and day better.

rsp
I think the problem here is we're comparing apples to fruit flies.

If you're taking the overall sound quality of Omnisphere versus HALion 6, comparing "like" sounds, then I agree. Omnisphere has the "better" sound quality, all of this of course being totally subjective.

However, the initial question was which is the better "value" and to that end, there is no question it's HALion 6 as it covers more territory. You can't even dispute this as Omnisphere is missing so much.

Let me put it this way. If I was forced to give up everything I own but just one product and the choice was between HALion 6 and Omnisphere, I would be forced to choose HALion 6.

Having said that, neither one is a desert island synth. Neither one can give me the quality of so many third party libraries I have for Kontakt and other platforms.

Drums
Bass
Guitars
Orchestral
Pianos

Forget it. I wouldn't want either of them.

That's why I don't own just HALion 6 or Omnisphere.

Neither one will fill all my needs. Not even close.
You just chose the easiest Way and making a Choice can't bei Made with an "either-or".

Subjective? Count the Views in YouTube and you'll learn sth. about Subjects.

Omni can produce Spectra that you can only Dreams of with HAL - who is a Workhorse you'll geht for 50 Off twice a Year.

You might das some like SSL, some Never, some API - but HALs Lib doesn't Play in this League and probably will never because 3rd Partys use other Platforms.

"Wetter" does not necessarily mean "better".
Most of Omni is swimming in over-processing. Which makes the sale easier for them, but can cause obvious "must-decisions" for the user.

You still haven't said which spectrasonics product you own.
Or you haven't actually really used them?

I tend to like dryer sounds and indeed have never had an issue with spectrasonics omisphere presets in general.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:34 pm You still haven't said which spectrasonics product you own.
Or you haven't actually really used them?

I tend to like dryer sounds and indeed have never had an issue with spectrasonics omisphere presets in general.
rsp
There is no Falcon demo, so I have never played with Falcon.
What I do know is that I have listened to hundreds of sound clips and watched tons of youtube tutorials and out of those hundreds of sound clips I have liked maybe two, maybe three at the most...... Which to me suggests that unless everyone chooses all the patches that I wouldn't like, that soundwise Falcon is not for me.....Beyond that, without actually using Falcon myself, I don't think I am qualified to give an opinion about Falcon. From what I have heard the sound does not appeal to me at all.

I think this goes for anything. Unless you have actually spent time on it yourself......
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:44 pm Pick Granular Inception Pad and you choose another one.
Hm, sorry to say that I don't have that pad in my Omnisphere. Is this from the factory Omnisphere library?

Ohh sorry it is in the Moog Tribute library... you choose any two from that last. Although I do agree we are way OT now.. you can pm if you wish.
rsp
sound sculptist

Heheh. I've made my position clear.
Will only add that I do not own Falcon. But not sure how that's persisting in this thread anyway. Or in fact, most of the confirmation seeking filling the pages now.

Omni sounds better out of the box IMO :-)

Return to “Instruments”