EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HURRICANEBOB wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 pm I just finished installing Emulator X from the original CD and and when I open the program it asks for the original CD for authentication and it fails authentication.I am pretty sure that I registered this software when I bought it back in 2010. The registration window fails also. Can someone help with this problem please?
Is this Emulator X version 1, 2, or 3? I thought that X1 required E-MU hardware for authorization, in which case it shouldn't prompt. X3 hits a license server (I think) - I can't remember if X2 required the CD or hardware.

HURRICANEBOB,
Just installed E-Mu 1212m and Patchmix DSP on Windows 7 desktop after over ten years of inactivity, updated all drivers and Cubase SX2 software to latest iterations and everything is working flawlessly. It sounds amazing. I am glad that I found this thread, it was a big help. I just finished installing Emulator X from the original CD and and when I open the program it asks for the original CD for authentication and it fails authentication.I am pretty sure that I registered this software when I bought it back in 2010. The registration window fails also. Can someone help with this problem please?
You didn't say which version of Emulator X you installed. If it is version 3 then the initial authentication popup window at the end of the process no longer works. But if you say "later" you should be able to use the authentication program installed in the same program group as the executable and authorize it there.

It is version 1. The program came bundled with the E-mu sound card and daughterboard. The disk says Emulator X and Emulator X Studio. I am running it in Windows 7 with the latest Beta driver for the card that is available. I've tried several re-installs with no joy, may try XP compatibility mode.

HurricaneBOB
Unread post Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 am

It is version 1. The program came bundled with the E-mu sound card and daughterboard. The disk says Emulator X and Emulator X Studio. I am running it in Windows 7 with the latest Beta driver for the card that is available. I've tried several re-installs with no joy, may try XP compatibility mode.
Version 1 is SO very old! I will be very surprised if you can get it to install at all. The version that initially came with my 1820m interface was v1.52 which I upgraded to v2.0. Both required the program to detect that you had some type of Emu sound interface installed. That is all the copy protection I recall it needing. No hardware, and it wouldn't run regardless of any registration.

I then purchased an upgrade to version 3. What I abbreviate to EX3. Unlike version 1.x and 2.x, v3 of Emulator X didn't require any Emu hardware to run but did include a serial number that had to be registered to be able to run the software past the 30 day demo period.

That is what I referred to in my earlier post. I recently installed it on one of my secondary music PC's and the initial registration screen that came up couldn't find the registration server. But I was able to get past that issue by running the separate registration executable rather than registering from within the program itself. EX3 does include a 64 bit version as well as a 32 bit version of the VST plugin. It can be installed in a Win 10 64 bit system. And it will load into a 64 bit DAW software that hosts VST plugins such as Cubase.

So, I would either try to find a copy of version 2 or a copy of version 3 with a serial number, perhaps used.

Version 2 was much advanced over version 1 and version 3 while a bit improved mainly has the advantage of working in a system without any Emu sound hardware interface and also includes that 64 bit VST that makes all the difference if you are working with a 64 bit DAW. There are work arounds for 32 bit VST plugins and 64 bit DAW software but that is another topic :-}

Rawl

thanks for your response Rawl. Yes, it is very old, as is most of my recording gear. I wanted to get Emulator X to install mostly for the sample banks. I may try reinstalling the soundcard again and see if that resolves the registration issue.

HURRICANEBOB,

Definitely, if the card drivers are not properly working or rather have been replaced by the generic Microsoft labeled drivers for Creative sound interfaces that could definitely cause the program to not work.

But also, it appears that at least one of the registration servers no longer works or the URL for it no longer redirects to a working registration server.

What may I ask are you looking to do with the sample banks?

Rawl

Easy_Does_It wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:43 pm
tobra wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:38 am
tobra wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 amMy sound card E-MU1616m PCI-e works but there is one problem!
What cannot be recorded via the WDM driver?
Does anyone have this problem as me?
Sorry I'm a little late to reply to this, but I recently discovered this exact problem on my own system. Specifically, I've been trying to get my DAW strip or mic strip to pipe into OBS or Zoom with no success. Like you said, it's as if the mic is off. In fact, I can't even get Windows to acknowledge the mic signal in its own Sound Control Panel.

There are two types of strip in Patchmix - ASIO and WAVE. The DAW and mic strips are ASIO. The Windows strip is WAVE. For example, OBS recognizes the "desktop audio" which it's receiving from the Windows WAVE strip.

Seems the problem is that the ASIO strips in Patchmix exist in a completely different universe than WAVE strips, and Windows just isn't recieving those ASIO signals at all. That's great for stability when recording I guess, but it fails us when we want to get that DAW or mic audio into a Windows WAVE-based program like OBS or Zoom.

After a lot of experimenting with settings in Patchmix, Windows, and the rest, I have yet to come up with a working solution. The fact is, the "WAVE L/R HOST" send function in Patchmix is completely useless for me at this time.

I just wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone in this issue. I would really like to stream high quality, stereo, live music. After giving up on this issue, I created a workaround by piping my music out from my headphone jack to my phone and then using my phone to broadcast online. The fidelity is respectable, but it's limited to a mono signal due to the phone's limitation. It's also frustrating that my super computer isn't getting maximum use and my little phone has to pick up the slack.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the problem exists in the communication between Patchmix and Windows. It has nothing to do with the other programs, as they're just waiting on a WAVE signal that Windows is unable to provide. I'll be sure to let you know if I hear of any potential solutions, but my guess is we're stuck with workarounds at best.
When testing a sound card with RightMark Audio Analyzer, the card does not work in full duplex. This worked before when it was under Windows 7 SP1. When Windows 7 was updated to SP2 then it stopped working. And I think it's generally up to Windows 10, 7 It's not just about the microphone, but also when a program plays music that music cannot be recorded. The sound is intermittent (As if the signal can't break through), when I have time I will record that sound.

rawl747 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:11 pm HURRICANEBOB,

Definitely, if the card drivers are not properly working or rather have been replaced by the generic Microsoft labeled drivers for Creative sound interfaces that could definitely cause the program to not work.

But also, it appears that at least one of the registration servers no longer works or the URL for it no longer redirects to a working registration server.

What may I ask are you looking to do with the sample banks?

Rawl
Use the sounds as VST Instruments in Cubase SX2.

Easy_Does_It wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:43 pm
tobra wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:38 am
tobra wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 amMy sound card E-MU1616m PCI-e works but there is one problem!
What cannot be recorded via the WDM driver?
Does anyone have this problem as me?
Sorry I'm a little late to reply to this, but I recently discovered this exact problem on my own system. Specifically, I've been trying to get my DAW strip or mic strip to pipe into OBS or Zoom with no success. Like you said, it's as if the mic is off. In fact, I can't even get Windows to acknowledge the mic signal in its own Sound Control Panel.

There are two types of strip in Patchmix - ASIO and WAVE. The DAW and mic strips are ASIO. The Windows strip is WAVE. For example, OBS recognizes the "desktop audio" which it's receiving from the Windows WAVE strip.

Seems the problem is that the ASIO strips in Patchmix exist in a completely different universe than WAVE strips, and Windows just isn't recieving those ASIO signals at all. That's great for stability when recording I guess, but it fails us when we want to get that DAW or mic audio into a Windows WAVE-based program like OBS or Zoom.

After a lot of experimenting with settings in Patchmix, Windows, and the rest, I have yet to come up with a working solution. The fact is, the "WAVE L/R HOST" send function in Patchmix is completely useless for me at this time.

I just wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone in this issue. I would really like to stream high quality, stereo, live music. After giving up on this issue, I created a workaround by piping my music out from my headphone jack to my phone and then using my phone to broadcast online. The fidelity is respectable, but it's limited to a mono signal due to the phone's limitation. It's also frustrating that my super computer isn't getting maximum use and my little phone has to pick up the slack.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the problem exists in the communication between Patchmix and Windows. It has nothing to do with the other programs, as they're just waiting on a WAVE signal that Windows is unable to provide. I'll be sure to let you know if I hear of any potential solutions, but my guess is we're stuck with workarounds at best.
1616m user here, I have been struggling with recording daw output into OBS quite a bit. I now use this method https://youtu.be/EQ3PRNtny34
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

HURRICANEBOB wrote: ↑Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:14 pm
Use the sounds as VST Instruments in Cubase SX2.
I asked because the sound banks that get installed with the original Emulator X v1 may be available in newer formats such as for v2 or v3.

There are version 2 installation files out there that would probably work better with your PC than the v1 version. All v2 should need is your Emu interface drivers properly working

Rawl

thx Rawl, will look into that.

@ bob swans I know about it, I use a virtual mixer Voicemeeter Potato. The sound card (E-MU1616m PCI-e) had that possibility and now it is gone. :)

I will be building a new computer very soon. Retiring the 9-year-old machine I had relegated to audio work. Decided to upgrade for a number of reasons. However...I am keeping the 1820m. After reading most of this thread, I decided to dedicate a single small hard drive (350G) to Windows 10. I purchased for $8 Windows 10 1709. Loaded the BETA driver and Patchmix 2.1 (larger file) and the card works. Doesn't give me anything above 48k but that is ok. If someone knows how to get above that rate, I'd like to know. Simply doesn't show up as an option.

The new machine will have Windows 10 1709 OS. I will also have a separate Windows 10 drive with all recent updates I will clone from my regular machine. I will just decide what I want to use when I boot. Oh...I have also disabled automatic Windows 10 updates on the 1709 build so there will be no surprises.

Speedymonk,

You might also consider using the 9-year-old machine with VEP (Vienna Ensemble Pro) as a VST audio "slave" machine. VEP has essentially 2 parts. The VST "Host" which runs as a slave process that connects to the other part which is a VST plugin that runs in your DAW. Both machines need 1GB ethernet (wired) network interfaces. This allows the slave machine's VEP VST Host to do just that. Host VST plugins that can receive MIDI from your DAW and send back audio back to the DAW using the VEP VST plugin.

No audio interface is required on the slave machine since all the MIDI and audio is virtual via the network connection. Another benefit is that the VEP product incudes both a 32-bit and a 64-bit VST Host executable so you can use it to bridge 32-bit VST's back to a 64-bit DAW. Multiple (and mixed) instances of the VEP Host executable can run on the same machine.

VEP is licensed using a dongle. A license is only needed for each machine that runs the Host executables. If you never need to run it on the DAW machine then you only need a dongle for the slave machine. The VEP VST plugin for the DAW does not need a license.

Folks who do large orchestral MIDI projects often use more than a single slave machine and Cubase users have found that running a VEP Host executable in the same machine as the DAW software can run more total VST plugins using a combination of DAW and VEP Host on the same single machine than otherwise with just the DAE software since the VEP Host can run using a separate CPU core from the core used by the DAW process which typically won't use more than one CPU core.

Food for thought.

Rawl

Thanks for the input. I have a number of synth keyboards and tone modules I will be using to record into my DAW. The 1820m fits that bill. It works on Windows 10 1709 but I will get everything going full steam when I assemble all the new parts and run an intel i910900K processor. Have a PCIe to PCI adapter card that I know works. Doing it this way I shouldn't need any future machine upgrades for another 10 years (perhaps wishful thinking).

Still wondering if anyone on Windows 10 has got 96K or 192k to show up and work.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”