Korg wavestate

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kritikon wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 pm In terms of wish list. ..about the only thing this keyboard doesn't do is a hand that comes out from underneath to give you a wank while you're playing it (all editable by the white parameter knobs of course...speed, grip, tickle, lube strength, fingernail length...)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:clap:

This thing sounds absolutely amazing. Will be buying ASAP. While listening to demos, I keep hearing Paul Oakenfold trance, Robert Miles, NIN moods, 80s fantasy - the BELLS and PIANO! This thing is a nostalgia box. This might be my favorite sounding synth ever.

I think the only bad things I can say from all the demos is just the timings of performance play. This might be fine with DAW playback. But considering all the parameters with various timings, it can get too messy sounding. But that's more of a sound design problem.

Hey dad, tell me the story of synthesizers!

Sure, first we had the analogs, they were.. (etc., etc.)

Okay cool, what happened then?

Then we had the digital synthesizers, they were..(etc., etc.)

Wow, this is exciting, what happened then?

Yeah, you see, then we had the analog synthesizers again....

Really, dad? Okay...and then what?

Weeell, then we had the digital synthesizers again....

......Are you allright, dad?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:19 pmThanks a lot. I really appreciate your kind help. It will be best to limit myself to fewest choices possible and keep the cost as low as I can, but at the same time get something that sounds great. ARGON8 and DeepMind 6 look like the best options to choose one from. :tu:
There are plenty of options in this price range - Korg Monologue, Minilogue, Minilogue XD or MicroKorgXL, Novation BassStation 2, Roland GAIA or JD-Xi, Yamaha MX-61 - plenty to choose from. My choices would be Argon 8, Wavestate or Minilogue XD. The Minilogue uses mini keys but the others are full size jobbies.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

IncarnateX wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 pm Hey dad, tell me the story of synthesizers!

Sure, first we had the analogs, they were.. (etc., etc.)

Okay cool, what happened then?

Then we had the digital synthesizers, they were..(etc., etc.)

Wow, this is exciting, what happened then?

Yeah, you see, then we had the analog synthesizers again....

Really, dad? Okay...and then what?

Weeell, then we had the digital synthesizers again....

......Are you allright, dad?
There have always been digital synthesizers... you just had to know where to look.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

egbert101 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 pm So this has the MS-20 and Polysix emulated filters. Does the wavestate pull off a good polysix emulation? I assume it has analog waveforms, and perhaps a similar chorus? If anyone has tried, I'd be interested to know.
I really would like to hear someone just feature the basic VA capabilities of this one.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yes, it could be a very powerful jack of all trades. Assuming their filter models are similar to their VSTi, it's likely to be pretty good at the V/A stuff. This demo, in particular, has got me interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3qcOrgoE2A
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:08 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:19 pmThanks a lot. I really appreciate your kind help. It will be best to limit myself to fewest choices possible and keep the cost as low as I can, but at the same time get something that sounds great. ARGON8 and DeepMind 6 look like the best options to choose one from. :tu:
There are plenty of options in this price range - Korg Monologue, Minilogue, Minilogue XD or MicroKorgXL, Novation BassStation 2, Roland GAIA or JD-Xi, Yamaha MX-61 - plenty to choose from. My choices would be Argon 8, Wavestate or Minilogue XD. The Minilogue uses mini keys but the others are full size jobbies.
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I am indeed leaning towards one of these (in order of preference - Argon 8 or Minilogue XD or Wavestate) after all the suggestions and checking the audio demos and functionality on YouTube. Wavestate appears too complicated to me. But I won't be able to buy one anytime soon, unfortunately.

Daags wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:39 amhuh ? ... I don't recall anyone asking for it to be a sampler ? ... seriously, you apologist fanatics really need to brush up on your comprehension before wasting time on replies.
You're so freakin' ignorant you don't even understand what the word "sampler" implies. Nobody bought a sampler to sample, we all bought them to play back content that came with the instrument or was supplied by the manufacturer on floppy disks. As kritikon said, only more politely, what sort of moron would want to use their own amateur samples when there is a plethora of superb, professional content supplied with the synth?
asking for an instrument that uses samples at its base level to allow users to supply their own samples is not - in any way shape or form - asking for it to be a sampler.
No, that is exactly what it's asking.
the friggin Prophet VS allowed users to load their own samples for vector synthesis back in 1986
And look how that ended for Sequential Circuits. Then look at the most successful synth of all time, the mighty KORG M1 - chock full of sampled goodness but not a user slot in sight. So maybe, just maybe, you need to accept that Korg might know just a tiny bit more than you do about what their customers want?
there were no technical reasons not to officially allow it then, and there sure as shit aren't any technical reasons not to allow it now in 2020.
And you know that how, exactly? What if it added $500 to the cost of the instrument, would it be worth it then? You are making assumptions about things you can't possibly have any knowledge of.
the fact is, it was Korg's idea back then to sell expansion cards. and it is easier to sell expansion cards to users craving variety when you simultaneously don't allow them to add their own variety for free.
Did the expansion cards sell? Perhaps Korg saw that there was no interest and so haven't bothered since? And, of course, back then a Wavestation had a tiny wave ROM, just 2MB, so expansion cards made some sense. Wavestate has 1000 times as much memory devoted to content so expansion is clearly far less necessary.
it is a legit shortcoming of the reboot
No, it's just some clueless little man whining about something no-one else is interested in. And if they did include it, then you'd complain that there wasn't enough memory devoted to it or it didn't support the particular file format that you insist on using or that it required to much preparation of the samples to get them in there or any of a dozen other things that wouldn't be exactly what you want.
mentioning this shortcoming/feature request doesn't warrant the 'ugh, you just don't get it bro' in BOLD FONT ALL CAPS etc,
Yes, it does. It shows complete ignorance on the difference between software and hardware.
and the 'korg know people would be too stupid to upload their own samples' argument is more nonsense. see: korg volca sample.
It's not "Korg people", Korg people get it. It's people who haven't the slightest clue what they are talking about Korg needs to consider. you know, the kind of person they have in mind when they are idiot-proofing a product.

^ you took 5 months to write that reply?

daagsy seems long gone now.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Does anyone know what the internal samplerate of the samples and machine is for the Wavestate? Can't find the info anywhere. 44.1, 48,96 at 24bit?

DrFolder wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:41 am Does anyone know what the internal samplerate of the samples and machine is for the Wavestate? Can't find the info anywhere. 44.1, 48,96 at 24bit?
Somewhat answered my own question. Dan Phillips states that it is running at 48k instead of the original Wavestations 32k at about 13:05 in this interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZoUGegOu8

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:00 am You're so freakin' ignorant you don't even understand what the word "sampler" implies. Nobody bought a sampler to sample
Truly, though, I think a lot of people are so freakin' ignorant that they didnt understand the word 'sampler' implies 'a device people bought to not sample with.'

Thanks for illuminating the world, bonesy.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:24 am
BONES wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:08 am
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I am indeed leaning towards one of these (in order of preference - Argon 8 or Minilogue XD or Wavestate) after all the suggestions and checking the audio demos and functionality on YouTube. Wavestate appears too complicated to me. But I won't be able to buy one anytime soon, unfortunately.
I bought a Minilogue XD, but then returned it. I just couldn't get along with the tiny keys. I quite like what I hear of the Wavestate, but sound design does seem rather complicated. I like the polyphony of the Wavestate.

I bought samplers to sample with. Some of my favorite sounds I used were my own samples.

JCJR wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 am I bought samplers to sample with. Some of my favorite sounds I used were my own samples.
And did the sampler allow recording?

The low level samplings that just stretch one sample all over keyboard does not cut it compared to multilayered and at least one sample each key/pitch. Maybe 5-10 samples each key for various velocities - that is what purchased libraries offer - and that comes closer to the real thing you are sampling.

Percussive sounds I think are usable to do your own, I've been thinking of doing that myself. Doing various sounds to overlay snare or something. That you can do one sample on a single key pretty much.

I downloaded some free brass samples, one sample each pitch and that was a lot of work. Setting the start sample and sustain loop point and other things. That took a day or so. And Vsampler was such a breeze to work with, compared to Kontakt or anything else I saw.

If you try to do multilayered samplings you will have a vast load of samples to sort and decide this was velocity 20-40, and these are probably velocity 80-100 etc.

A free piano library Maestro had 3 samples each key, and those fortissimo samples were way to hard sounding. So 5-6 probably will start to be good enough to replicate a grand piano. Timbre change so much with each raised key action.

Some make a riot over that Wavestate does not allow own samples - but really wonder what they expect, especially for that money. It's not going to be Akai MPC anything, even the simplest versions. And those Akai cost more than Wavestate.

If Korg have an firmware update that allow own samples that would diminish the storage available today for own programs and performances - I would would not do that update. Now the sky is the limit, pretty much, and that is rare for any synth.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”