1%
What is a DAW?
2%
Fish
8%

Total votes: 372

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Meanwhile, anyone got recommendations for iPad iOS DAWs? I’ve got Gadget 2 and can see Cubasis 3 is available. Anything special that doesn’t get enough attention?

Sorry to derail the thread by mentioning DAWs.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I've gone through DAW to DAW over the years. Be aware that I started in the digital age and only had a computer as hardware at the time, so I had no prior experience in analog gear/mixing/recording.

I started with Acoustica Mixcraft when I was 11. At first, I used it primarily for making megamixes and custom edits of songs. But the finest resolution was 2ms which meant lots of room for error and misalignment. But what do you expect for a pre-teen who relies on their parents for money?- something cheaper.

I added Anvil Studio when I was 12. This program is a free MIDI sequencer for Windows. So that got me started in producing with virtual instruments.

By the end of 2008, I was looking for something that could do more and didn't sound so cheap since I ONLY worked with VSTs and pre-recorded audio. My cousin suggested FL Studio and that has been my primary DAW for composing with virtual instruments since. I love all the smooth options for automation curves... as where other DAWs had straight lines or converted your automation line into a gazillion little points that made it impossible to edit without redrawing the line entirely.

In high school, I started learning Cubase in an intro to audio production class. I liked how logical and intuitive the DAW was setup. Far easier than demos of anything else I've ever tested. I also love the built-in time and pitch editing via Vari-Audio. So Cubase Pro has been my primary DAW for mixing and working with recorded audio since 2011.

In college, I got to try out Logic Pro and Pro Tools. I think I've had difficulty with them since I didn't have any historical or analog studio background. That or just the way they're setup. I still have to learn Pro Tools though for my viability in the job market.

i started with cubase, now on cubase pro 10.5. for years the only DAW, then i bought the maschine mk3, and the jam.
maschine i like to use standalone and afterwards as plugin in cubase.

i am controller freak, or obsesive with tacticle control. so i had already controllers for cubase. only the novation's (49 sl mkii, zero sl mkii for automap) i have left, and sold my second hand bcf2000 to buy a second hand MCU (2003 version). still hold on to the bcr 2000.

(why telling about controllers here, they influence my decisions).

i bought a panaroma p1 for cubase, they promised deep integration, well not for cubase (but with nektarine i can make plugin mappings, and i have the MCU).

so i bought second hand reason 10... because of the real deep integration with panaroma p1, and of course of reason itself, the instruments, the possibilities. i like reason 10, but this DAW was difficult to enter my workflow, reason 11 suite, made it possible to get to work in workflow..

the step to push 2 with ableton intro, i made a year later after maschine. maschine is still use and like, ableton isn't a substitute, but an addition for me. i also bought the upgrade to live 10 suite.

i bought harrison mixbus 5 in a sale, updated it recently to six.

reaper i bought in an impulse because on plugin wouldn't work with the version of cubase at that time, why reaper, and not use ableton, i hadn't suite yet, and still doubting if i would keep ableton. doubt is gone, for the record.

and the last DAW i bought is bitwig studio 3.2.x.
didn't do a lot with it, only 2 weeks i have it. no time yet.

i wanted to try bitwig for a long time, but since i own, for 3 weeks, a roli seaboard block + lightpad M, that pushed me over.
although MPE in cubase is great. but bitwig has more possibilities, because of the modulation. that i want to discover.

if i work in ableton i work in ableton, when i work in cubase i work in cubase, if i work in maschine (not a DAW) i work in maschine (but eventually, not always, in cubase as a plugin).

every DAW gives me other results, i use the features that they give me, the simpler in ableton, how maschine works, in scenes, fixed.
cubase also for complete sounddesign, but with a lot of effects.

i have also a nice arsnenal of soft-synths, third party, not that many, enough to cover all things. and a nice arsenal of effect plugins, that cover also all grounds, and more.

in a way it was natural, but als unexpected.

the DAW's i now have, i will not buy another one. not that they aren't great DAW's. but with the DAW's i have, i think i have covered all the possibilities, that i want.

and i have also other music software like wavelab pro 10, spectralayers pro 6, i use voltage modular a lot standalone.

why do i mentioned this. i am used to hopping around. stems i don't use much, only under certain conditions.
but they all work together in a way, it is an extension of my "needs".

make a lot of samples, and it depends on what i want, which DAW i use.

reason 11 suite, i mainly program the synths in it. make presets, to use in other DAW's.

sounddesign, from scratch (and sometimes cutting edges..), me like. so all this works for me.

Some People ... I mean why should I have two Women?

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:53 am Some People ... I mean why should I have two Women?
Because not 2 ones are identical?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:53 am Some People ... I mean why should I have two Women?
Well...
You should find a woman that helps you with the cleaning and the chores,
You should find a woman that is a good cook,
You should find a woman that you can trust and share your feelings with,
You should find a woman that enjoys making love to you,

Last and the most important thing is that these 4 women should never meet.

:D

they serve different functions?
i have 3 currently.
one for the whole relationship business.
one for shopping.
one for cleaning.

the last two could be replaced by men, and in such cases as holidays or illness have been in the past. i didnt choose women, they just happened to be what was sent.

the cleaning one, for some reason, calls me trev.
3 bloody years of me correcting her and still, "trev,ive done the floor in here so let it dry a bit, im off now"

its john.

"bye trev"

wtf????

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:31 am
they serve different functions?
i have 3 currently.
one for the whole relationship business.
one for shopping.
one for cleaning.

the last two could be replaced by men, and in such cases as holidays or illness have been in the past. i didnt choose women, they just happened to be what was sent.

the cleaning one, for some reason, calls me trev.
3 bloody years of me correcting her and still, "trev,ive done the floor in here so let it dry a bit, im off now"

its john.

"bye trev"

wtf????
They have different Features: Donkey-Butt and Melon-Boobs.

N guess what? 67% Off both!!°

tbh, ive not really looked at dot that way, i think shes old enough to be my mums much older sister.

Is there a cringe thread, because... y'know?

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:43 pm Is there a cringe thread, because... y'know?
OffTopic > What made you cringe today.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:50 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:43 pm Is there a cringe thread, because... y'know?
OffTopic > What made you cringe today.
:tu:

Are you safe?

I think multiple DAWS are like clutter in the house. Most of it is in drawers and cupboards and is never used and if it went missing for months would not be missed. The last time we moved house ten years ago a lot of stuff went in the loft and has remained there.

Up until recently I had multiple DAWs on my machine but decided to de-clutter.

A fresh install of win 10 and a determination to get my DAWs down to a manageable size left just two standing - Cubase 10.5 and Studio One 4.6.

The latest Studio One update has nothing I need and I rarely fire it up anyway so I will uninstall it.

Promise. No really. Soon. I am cured. I think. Almost.

dellboy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:26 am I think multiple DAWS are like clutter in the house. Most of it is in drawers and cupboards and is never used and if it went missing for months would not be missed.
No-one's forcing anyone to buy or update DAWs, but whole DAWs are generally cheaper than plugins like Omnisphere or suites like Komplete so if you think about them like separate instrument or effect plugin bundles then they can be tapped into occasionally for something a bit different you aren't getting (or feeling you are getting) elsewhere.

My guess is that hobbyists like me are more likely to fritter our time on multiple DAWs than people trying to make money from their music who would rather elbow whatever extra functionality multiple DAWs may give you in order to groove with their preferred workflow on one DAW.

Are you safe?

dellboy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:26 am'''left just two standing - Cubase 10.5 and Studio One 4.6.
I totally agree, but why those 2 though? Aren't they too similar?

I've kept 3 out of 6* I had installed at one point:
  • Bitwig 3 - for clip launhing & sound design / mangling and overall quickness
  • Studio One 5 - for "palette-clensing" linear stuff and actually recording myself "playing" stuff on Launchpad X, because of 'takes' and lower latency than Bitwig
  • Reason 11 - for now mostly as a Reason Rack Plugin, but hopefully they'll soon upgrade the graphics and I come back to really using it as a DAW, too
Now I have to do similar thing with plugins :scared: :roll:

* Ableton, Bitwig, Cubase, Renoise, Reason, Studio One :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”