Community Plugin Format. A clarification and appology

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seams that the thread named "Our Community Plugin Format" has been locked after a post from my side that has been misunderstood. My suggestion for a name was:

"The None Such Community plugin format"

The "None Such", meaning there is nothing like it, or has no equal.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonesuch

As in the well known book "The Nonesuch Guide To Electronic Music".

Please accept my apologies if I didn't make my self clear, or if you think the phrase was not appropriate. The last thing I want to do is shut people or their useful discussions down. It would be great if the author re-considers reopening that thread. And if you like I will remove my post ofcourse.

Thanks.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Hi S0lo,

I've no doubt your comments were well intentioned. I believe we had discussions before about fast modulation of filters and you have always been friendly, helpful and open to constructive discussions.

I didn't want to say too much about the OP of the other thread as I'm sure they also had good intentions, but you should keep in mind that they have posted here about infinite compression schemes revieled to them by a higher power. Later they disclosed that he hadn't made any of the posts himself, actually it was his wife/partner/girlfriend (don't recall which) posting not only on his behalf, but as him, as she felt she needed to share his ideas with the world. Now apparently she writes in the first person as herself here, I think, I'm not 100% sure who the OP was supposed to be. Anyway, I'm happy to accept they were acting with good intentions, but with the kind of post history I have witnessed here I guessed it would end in tears and it did.

I only mention all that as there is really no reason for you to feel bad. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the discussion on framework architecture progressed as long as it did. But some kind of bitter ending was kind of inevitable eventually.

Thanks matt42,
matt42 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 am I was actually pleasantly surprised that the discussion on framework architecture progressed as long as it did.
Yeah!! I was thinking the same thing yesterday. It was going surprisingly well.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

When I saw the thread I wanted to contribute something, but then I thought that in general there would always be a "connection" between "the software market" and "plugin format", and then I felt as if there was no "technically pure" plugin format possible. A plugin format of any kind looks to me like a "small bandwidth" (bottleneck) part of a system, or a "cable between two workstation keyboards". And I would want only one keyboard. But I still want the "cable" to exist and see how it is made.

It makes me sad that the thread did not go on. My contribution would have been the suggestion to consider public domain as a license, because I have just written code that I want to stay public domain, as MIT is a tiny bit more non-permissive as I need attribution and preservation of copyright, or whatever I really need to do right there.

The thread was a good thing. There is something about a plugin format, and the way it was approached was interesting and promising. Sigh. Coincidentally my own project is on halt, too. Wanted to do "summer things" actually. Counted the number of quotation marks in my post, it's 16.

Wow. That escalated quickly.

"chained to steinberg and apple"

you can see why they were so helpful with that there

if you see anything
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

i mean, we don't even have a community that can say cepstral processing is just fft(log10(fft))
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 pm i mean, we don't even have a community that can say cepstral processing is just fft(log10(fft))
How does this relate to plugin format? Do you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree?

xoxos wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 pm i mean, we don't even have a community that can say cepstral processing is just fft(log10(fft))
i even say liftering and quefrencies and made up earlypass and latepass lifters :party:

...edit: oh - i misunderstood the statement :oops:
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

robin i don't know where you are with anything as i don't follow teh industry like i used to,

but been as you've done a nice job of releasing very useful freeware plugins in various formats,

i would *love* to hand you the 2d circular membrane stuff i used in ideal (or anything else i've done like resyn or some universe similar) for disribution in a more popular format. not that teh public seems to have any current interest in these venerable archetypical synthesis forms but heck i'm sayin

matt42 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 am I didn't want to say too much about the OP of the other thread as I'm sure they also had good intentions, but you should keep in mind that they have posted here about infinite compression schemes revieled to them by a higher power. Later they disclosed that he hadn't made any of the posts himself, actually it was his wife/partner/girlfriend (don't recall which) posting not only on his behalf, but as him, as she felt she needed to share his ideas with the world. Now apparently she writes in the first person as herself here, I think, I'm not 100% sure who the OP was supposed to be.
So basically there were two Vertion versions. :o
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

I am sure that Veriton did not have any bad intention with the other thread (which is locked now for what reason?). I also see that Veriton has been banned ? So far she never made a negative impression towards me in the past.
I am confused

Vertion locked the thread, but I'm unsure the reason of the ban also

xoxos wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:21 pm robin i don't know where you are with anything as i don't follow teh industry like i used to,

but been as you've done a nice job of releasing very useful freeware plugins in various formats,

i would *love* to hand you the 2d circular membrane stuff i used in ideal (or anything else i've done like resyn or some universe similar) for disribution in a more popular format. not that teh public seems to have any current interest in these venerable archetypical synthesis forms but heck i'm sayin
hey xoxos - thanks for the offer! i have not really released very much in terms of plugins recently either. in fact, i have currently only one plugin in my "product line" that i intend to maintain - but that plugin is actually an "all-in-one" shell plugin, into which i intend to drop all sorts of generator, effect and analysis algorithms, including (not yet) all my older plugins. it's called ToolChain:

http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

i felt like it's just way too much redundant work to maintain several plugin projects, so i dropped everything into one unit. that makes the maintenance of the codebase so much easier. it even includes my two commercial plugins - don't ask why i'm still selling them, then - i'm just too lazy too clean up the website. since a while, my whole codebase is on github as well:

https://github.com/RobinSchmidt/RS-MET

(disclaimer: i know that the codebase is a mess - it looks like a homebrew codebase that was not originally intended for public consumption because that's precisely what it is)....sooo...hmm....i don't know, how that fits with your ideas...i could perhaps make a "contributors" section for 3rd party modules in my toolchain. if the new community plugin format takes off, i'd be happy to support is as well - but i would probably not be able to pull off the integration into my build-system myself easily and would perhaps have to wait for juce to support it (it would need to be integrated into the projucer - and i suspect that hacking that code myself may be not so trivial). maybe in order to not hijack the thread, we could continue discussing this in one of these threads - i find the oscillator in the first thread really interesting and have already experimented with some extensions of the idea:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=475696
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=522701

elan from soundemote prompted me to this, who is, as far as i know, using this algorithm with your permission. what sort of licensing scheme did you have in mind?
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”