Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:14 pmI have just one minor gripe and I'm sure it's one that other people, hell, probably lots of people, have as well.

You have to be REALLY stingy with that mod matrix because there just isn't a whole lot of slots. I could use up 6 without blinking an eye. So decisions have to be made as to what's the priority and what can you live without when programming a patch. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Dune 3 have tons more slots?
AFAIK, more mod matrix slots are being considered for a future update. It makes sense because you run out of them pretty quickly if you set velocity, aftertouch, mod wheel, control for oscillator volumes or individual pulse widths, noise volume, full filter key tracking and such. 6 more slots wouldn't hurt. DUNE 3 has 32 slots, I think.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:30 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:14 pmI have just one minor gripe and I'm sure it's one that other people, hell, probably lots of people, have as well.

You have to be REALLY stingy with that mod matrix because there just isn't a whole lot of slots. I could use up 6 without blinking an eye. So decisions have to be made as to what's the priority and what can you live without when programming a patch. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Dune 3 have tons more slots?
AFAIK, more mod matrix slots are being considered for a future update. It makes sense because you run out of them pretty quickly if you set velocity, aftertouch, mod wheel, control for oscillator volumes or individual pulse widths, noise volume, full filter key tracking and such. 6 more slots wouldn't hurt. DUNE 3 has 32 slots, I think.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Obsession is really stingy with those mod slots. But you see, that's what happens when you get spoiled with all the toys we have today. Back when this was a synth, what you saw on the front, THAT was it and we were THRILLED with it.

We have it too damn good these days.

Indeed. Obsession does the OB-Xa thing in the front side alone. Everything in the back side is additional. Good thing we now have these wonderful ITB toys that let you do the vintage thing convincingly, and then some.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:20 am, edited 5 times in total.

Lucastyle wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:15 pm But what if you want to tweak (filter frequency, amp env release, Filt. envelope amount, etc.) for two different patches at the same time, it would be awesome if you could select like this and tweak them Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 6.10.46 PM.png
Do you mean like in Sylenth1? Yes, I think it makes sense. It can like Filter Freq, Filter Res and Env amt or Keyb tracking ... etc. There is a room for small knobs under the PW and Mod wheels if they can be re arranged.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:14 pmYou have to be REALLY stingy with that mod matrix because there just isn't a whole lot of slots. I could use up 6 without blinking an eye. So decisions have to be made as to what's the priority and what can you live without when programming a patch. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Dune 3 have tons more slots?
Yes, but The Legend has even fewer than OBsession and that hasn't changed in several years.
I am torn as far as what kind of library to make. Obviously, with all the stuff in this that wasn't in the original OB-Xa, the temptation is to create patches that the original can't make.

Do I go that route, possibly alienating those looking for a true emulation or do I avoid the extras risking alienating those who don't want the same old same old? Do I do a little of both? That could possibly lose everybody who wants only one or the other.
You could always do two banks, one with each approach but I'd be more inclined to simply create a folder in your bank for the straight emulation patches because, presumably, you'll have a lot more with the full feature set.

P.S. I told you it would be right up your alley.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:47 am
wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:14 pmYou have to be REALLY stingy with that mod matrix because there just isn't a whole lot of slots. I could use up 6 without blinking an eye. So decisions have to be made as to what's the priority and what can you live without when programming a patch. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Dune 3 have tons more slots?
Yes, but The Legend has even fewer than OBsession and that hasn't changed in several years.
I am torn as far as what kind of library to make. Obviously, with all the stuff in this that wasn't in the original OB-Xa, the temptation is to create patches that the original can't make.

Do I go that route, possibly alienating those looking for a true emulation or do I avoid the extras risking alienating those who don't want the same old same old? Do I do a little of both? That could possibly lose everybody who wants only one or the other.
You could always do two banks, one with each approach but I'd be more inclined to simply create a folder in your bank for the straight emulation patches because, presumably, you'll have a lot more with the full feature set.

P.S. I told you it would be right up your alley.
You were right. Really great synth. Not that I'm surprised after getting Dune 2/3 and Legend.

Found a bug but it's quite possible because I'm still running Cubase 7 and I doubt this thing has been tested for that old a DAW.

Aftertouch does not work at all. I have tried it on everything I can think of and pressed down on my keyboard as hard as humanly possible (yes, I made sure I turned the value knob up) and nothing.

I don't have another DAW to test this on. Is there anybody who is having the same problem?

** EDIT ** I just tried something. I recorded a part and manually drew aftertouch on the piano roll and it works. So it's not responding to my keyboard. I can't imagine the Arturia Keylab 49 does not transmit aftertouch.
Last edited by wagtunes on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

It is definitely working OK on Cubase Pro 10 (not 10.5).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:15 am It is definitely working OK on Cubase Pro 10 (not 10.5).
Are you saying it doesn't work in 10.5?

No, I'm saying my Cubase is not up to date.

Ah okay, got it. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's simply because my Cubase is old. Though it does recognize piano roll data so who knows. Very confusing.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:10 am ** EDIT ** I just tried something. I recorded a part and manually drew aftertouch on the piano roll and it works. So it's not responding to my keyboard. I can't imagine the Arturia Keylab 49 does not transmit aftertouch.
Does AT work with other plugins in Cubase 7 on your system ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Will have to check more but after updating, patch navigation seems odd. I have a folder of factory patches I like (kind of like making a favorites folder) plus my own ones made from scratch. When I try and navigate it via the UI arrows after 2 or 3 patches I end up getting patches from the Obsession favorites list (you know, the showcased presets) I've never saved. Don't think this happened before.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I can't seem to reproduce that here. Using the on GUI arrows it just scrolls through the patches in whatever folder that is chosen then on to the next folder in the list. (tested in Cakewalk by Bandlab and FL Studio)

I'm going to install the update on my studio computer tomorrow. I'll test there as well.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thanks Tek. I'll do a proper test later on my system when home.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Instruments”