Wagtunes Production Music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

see, ive always imagined there was more choice there radio wise? (well entertainment in general).

dont know why i thought this? just one of those early assumptions that had never been corrected.

probably because of all the stories about records at the docks, my granddad and everyone really, would wait for ships coming in from the usa to buy vinyl from sailors. and from gis during the war.
you hear a lot about it in documentaries about 60s bands too.

The US was basically, "Here (hands money to DJ), play my record." Independent releases had no chance. If you weren't a big label, forget it.

I didn't hear of much, 1982 was the year Donna Summer covered State of Independence and whether or not I'd heard it on MTV I couldn't tell you.
I remember from the 1980s Roxanne by the Police, which may have been '79; My Sharona by the Knack (these are the two best songs of the period afaic); Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time and a couple others (felt very vindicated when Miles Davis covered it, because I thought this was another gem), and things which are a blur to me, Journey, Toto, Starship. We Built This City which is an emotional favorite for people from SF.

Mostly listened to things like Derek Bailey, Fred Frith, Henry Kaiser. I started writing in 1980, I was busy, also in 1983 I got a job.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:16 pm The US was basically, "Here (hands money to DJ), play my record." Independent releases had no chance. If you weren't a big label, forget it.
yeah its mostly that here these days, or classics stations.
we used to have the odd dj who went their own way, john peel rip (a favourite) who played anything.
you could hear the smiths, the fall and buzzcocks one minute.
next minute its captain beefheart or the ozric tentacles or something at the wrong speed.
you may have seen some "peel sessions" records by many bands.

his last show before he died was the last time i bothered with radio.
except using it as a sound source ocassionally.
but not to sit and listen to.

jancivil wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:26 pm I didn't hear of much, 1982 was the year Donna Summer covered State of Independence and whether or not I'd heard it on MTV I couldn't tell you.
I remember from the 1980s Roxanne by the Police, which may have been '79; My Sharona by the Knack (these are the two best songs of the period afaic); Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time and a couple others (felt very vindicated when Miles Davis covered it, because I thought this was another gem), and things which are a blur to me, Journey, Toto, Starship. We Built This City which is an emotional favorite for people from SF.

Mostly listened to things like Derek Bailey, Fred Frith, Henry Kaiser. I started writing in 1980, I was busy, also in 1983 I got a job.
it doesnt surprise me as much with you.
wags is more pop oriented, so i would have expected him to know that as i do and im not in to pop.

I knew all the stuff that was played on the radio, even if it was those underground FM stations. I mean I even heard "Until We Meet Again" by the Chesapeake Jukebox Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTCR4rp-SyE

But some stuff just didn't make it here and there was no Internet until 1997, so where was I gonna hear this stuff?

im not having a go at you dude :)
its just surprising, to me anyway.
like you didnt expect me to be a metal head, i do expect certain things from other people, and im often quite wrong :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:35 pm im not having a go at you dude :)
its just surprising, to me anyway.
like you didnt expect me to be a metal head, i do expect certain things from other people, and im often quite wrong :hihi:
Hey it's cool. We all have our conceptions about things. I think everybody who ever lived in England loved The Beatles. It's quite possible I'm wrong.

and i guess im surprised it wasnt so big over there.
over here it was kind of a gay anthem, so over the years on tv or out and about in clubs id hear it, a lot!
i did go to a few gay clubs, but i definitely heard it elsewhere a lot too :)

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 pm and i guess im surprised it wasnt so big over there.
over here it was kind of a gay anthem, so over the years on tv or out and about in clubs id hear it, a lot!
i did go to a few gay clubs, but i definitely heard it elsewhere a lot too :)
Lots of groups were huge overseas and never came here. It's tough making it in the US if you don't come from here. Hell, it's tough making it even if you do come from here.

jancivil wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:31 pm I don't really know, except I have found that SampleModeling, now AudioModeling took better to pitch bend in the horns I had than about anything else in samples, so kind of stands to reason that the modeling is a factor per se. They do make strings, and it's possibly smooth enough for pop work.* I couldn't find it for sale, what I found was *on youtube and the impossible has been achieved by somebody, a string orch from solo instruments. That's 120 bucks x 4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmFbHkvDvdM

(I worked with Session Strings once, and I needed spicatto, nice snappy response and I spent an enormous amount of time even getting something acceptable. It really was not fun.)

That said, I would look for something built to the purpose where the falls are sampled. There has to be something.
Just purchased 8Dio Intimate Studio Strings. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Return to “Music Cafe”