The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, another act that wasn't big at all in the US. Had one song hit number 30, Rivers of Babylon

Okay, so I just listened to "Rivers Of Babylon" (How dry I am) and I vaguely remember it.

First off, where am I getting 3 female singers from? And the guy? No way I can sing that low.

Musically, it's not really disco. I mean I guess it's borderline. The steel drums I guess I got somewhere. Honestly, I found the whole thing very boring. There wasn't much to it other than the vocals and I can't pull off those kind of vocals so essentially, anything I do like this would sound like crap and put people to sleep. I can't do Boney M and I'm intelligent enough to at least realize that I can't and trying to would be a disaster.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

I just purchased 8Dio Intimate Studio Strings. It's made for disco. It is absolutely amazing for this project. Only cost $298. I'm sure it will be worth every penny. Also sure it will inspire quite a few tunes just playing around with it.

D.I.S.C.O. ! D.I.S.C.O. !

2nd track from my upcoming CD "Disco Everywhere"

Very different from track 1. Went into Donna Summer territory with this one.

Never Never Seen Me

Won't you come into my web
Said the spider to the fly
I can love you til you weep
I can love you til you cry

You've never never seen me like this
You've never never seen me like this

Won't you hold me in your arms
Said the spider to the fly
I can love you til you weep
I can love you til you die

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... er-seen-me

That bass synth sounds very good. And the drum machine track does too!
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Never Never Seen Me:
Hi Wags, got all the right elements here. Including the girly vocals. Nice synths popping in and out too!
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Thanks guys. Haven't used Vocaloid for leads in a while. Thought this one was a fit.

This CD is turning out to be a lot of hard work but a lot of fun too.

3rd track from my upcoming CD "Disco Everywhere"

What happens when you combine a disco beat and strings with a walking jazz bass, clarinet and brass? You get this. I think it's more jazz than disco but it definitely has disco elements. Quite an unusual tune for me.

Jazzin Disco

The disco beat
With my jazz hands
It's such a treat
To hear the band

How bout you come
And join my dance
You be the one
To take the chance

Jazzin disco (jazz hands)
Jazzin disco (jazz bands)
Jazzin disco (cool cat)
Jazzin disco (where it's at)

I got the moves
You can't resist
The music grooves
You get the gist

We'll both soar high
Above the clouds
I'll be your guy
The music's loud

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/jazzin-disco

Reminds me of Indian Bollywood disco, they used some jazz elements in some of those songs.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:47 pm Reminds me of Indian Bollywood disco, they used some jazz elements in some of those songs.
Not something I've ever heard but okay, I'll take it. :lol:

Never Never Seen Me. Great tune. Disco or not. It helps to have to the Vocaloid singers, perfect. Listened several times, can't find any issues, very very catchy.

rotku60 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:28 am Never Never Seen Me. Great tune. Disco or not. It helps to have to the Vocaloid singers, perfect. Listened several times, can't find any issues, very very catchy.
Thanks. Lots of people won't even listen to a track with Vocaloid singers. I think, in certain applications, they're appropriate. This is one of those times.

Just listened to: Jazzin Disco

I don't know if it's something subjective about the bass, but I think it's a *lot improved* compared to what I commented before! I also like the bass line :)

The trumpet adds very nicely to the song.
The chorus is catchy, I like that too!
I very much like the orchestral "stabs"!

Is there a thing you could improve? I think you might try to work a little on the vocal processing. I'm not sure what to suggest, to make them stand out a little more.
Except the vocals on the chorus which I like as they are!

There is a solo string instrument which follows your vocals, with the same melody. This sounds a little off. Maybe make it a little thicker / fuller (maybe some reverb on it?) or make it more discreet.

jackoo wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 am Just listened to: Jazzin Disco

I don't know if it's something subjective about the bass, but I think it's a *lot improved* compared to what I commented before! I also like the bass line :)

The trumpet adds very nicely to the song.
The chorus is catchy, I like that too!
I very much like the orchestral "stabs"!

Is there a thing you could improve? I think you might try to work a little on the vocal processing. I'm not sure what to suggest, to make them stand out a little more.
Except the vocals on the chorus which I like as they are!

There is a solo string instrument which follows your vocals, with the same melody. This sounds a little off. Maybe make it a little thicker / fuller (maybe some reverb on it?) or make it more discreet.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. As to what can be improved, lots. If 10 industry professionals listened to this track, they're rip it apart to the point where you'd think it was absolute trash. That's why I don't sweat this stuff anymore. When I think the track is done, it's done. If people like it, great. If not, that's fine too. If I went back and nit picked over everything that somebody didn't like, this song would take 7 years to finish, if at all. Hell, 30 people in my poll think my stuff is so bad I should stop writing altogether. So while I appreciate your comments, this song is done. I'll take your comments into advisement for the next track I do.

Make vocals stand out more
Make string line stand out from vocal
Make string line thicker (not even sure how to do this)

And then the half a dozen or so "mistakes" that somebody finds in that song, I'll keep those in mind for the next song. It's how I got from where I was a couple of years ago to where I am now. But this particular song is finished.

Thanks for the feedback. It is very helpful in this very long journey to hopefully someday making music that doesn't make people want to rip their ears off their heads.

Off to my next project.

Return to “Music Cafe”