Bitwig 4 - what's gonna be in it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, Bitwig 3 was released a year ago (though frankly it feels like it was longer?) so I guess we should be expecting a new 'big' update sometime by the end of the year, hopefully in time for NAMM 2021 showcase if COVID-19 allows or Summer 2021 the latest.

What you expect to be the flagship feature for v4?

Obvious candidate is the long-promised on-line collaboration, but that's something that only small portion of user-base would benefit from in reality. But what else? GPU acceleration is definitely being worked on, but that seems difficult to get people excited about from marketing point of view. So perhaps some kind of "composer" stuff, e.g. comping, retrospective recording, musical notation, chord track, audio pitch editor (like Melodyne or VariAudio), etc.?

Any out-of-the-box idea? :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

All I really need right now:

1. MSEG
2. Container in The Grid
3. Multi-out from The Grid

I think it’s better to develop something in which Bitwig is already strong.

itemsearch wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:26 pm All I really need right now:

1. MSEG
2. Container in The Grid

Definitely agree with the above*, but those sound like 3.x updates :) I'm asking for big, headline-worthy stuff ;)

* You can kinda-sorta do multi-out right now with Modulator Outs, Audio Rates + DC Offsets although it's gonna be mono only :(
Music tech enthusiast

No idea, but if they add some kind of groove pool / groove quantize, I might finally update my old version 1.

They might be busy for a while with adding support for Apple's ARM processors, though.

I think we will see networking/collaboration (maybe in a 3.5?)

I know a lot of people are not too excited about this (or at least don't have it as a priority) but if it allows people to easily distribute grid creations and 'sound packs' (and perhaps in a copy protected form) then it opens up a 3rd party market. One of Lives major advantages is its 3rd party support, there are great commercial sounds and MAX instruments. I would love to see some of the 'pro's develop for Bitwig, this will depends on the numbers (market) and easy/security for deployment.

As for the rest, the only thing I 'need' is some form of comping. Given this is one of the most requested features in Live as well, it would steal the show I think.... :party: I would again like to see comping done the 'Bitwig way' (I have no idea what this is!) maybe with the option for live looping or comping...

Leftfield stuff? More off the wall modular type sequencer (Euclidian etc), audio tools (pitch to midi, pitch correction or just go ARA2!), convolution reverb, some form of MSEG but with a Bitwig twist....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

itemsearch wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:26 pm All I really need right now:

1. MSEG
2. Container in The Grid

I could run with that... only thing in that area to add... midi out or Midi Grid device

3.1 was focused on pitch, 3.2 on audio editing... Im quiet hopeful our prayers for long due pianoroll/midi update will be answered before 4. 4 I hope for midi grid.

SLiC wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:35 pmAs for the rest, the only thing I 'need' is some form of comping. Given this is one of the most requested features in Live as well, it would steal the show I think.... :party: I would again like to see comping done the 'Bitwig way' (I have no idea what this is!) maybe with the option for live looping or comping...
That would be cool...

some other stuff I would like that comes to mind...

Midi Step Record
Groove tools

Not whats in it - but something outside of it - the license model.

It might just as well include a monthly rental option now that Studio One has gone that way.

Somewhere between 20 - 30 euros monthly.

dellboy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:31 pm Not whats in it - but something outside of it - the license model.

It might just as well include a monthly rental option now that Studio One has gone that way.

May be useful for new users but if you already own it to stay 'current' (if you feel you need to always have the latest updates irrespective of what they are) is around 130 USD every 12-15 months.

I don't think Studio One has an option for people who already own most of the stuff they offering in Sphere (for example, I own S1 5 and Notation) so it's another brand new customers only' initiative :dog:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Count me as someone who likes the online collaboration idea. I have plenty of musicians I would work with if it was easy for us to do so without just trading end to end audio files.

I'm probably in the minority as well wanting articulation or expression maps like Cubase or Logic. Messing around with them in Logic it's just much more fun working with orchestral libraries.

I know this is probably not going to happen, but MIDI tracks would be great, it feels now like an enclosed wall using multi instrument tracks the way it's presented in Bitwig. To be fair Logic does this as well, but I wonder why? Live, DP10 and Reaper here all present MIDI routing in a much less convoluted way. This in tandem with extensive MIDI in the Grid would be fantastic.

SLiC wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:43 pm
dellboy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:31 pm Not whats in it - but something outside of it - the license model.

May be useful for new users but if you already own it to stay 'current' (if you feel you need to always have the latest updates irrespective of what they are) is around 130 USD every 12-15 months.

I don't think Studio One has an option for people who already own most of the stuff they offering in Sphere (for example, I own S1 5 and Notation) so it's another brand new customers only' initiative :dog:
Based on your price of $130 the rental would work out at $10.38 a month - bargain. If they fixed that at a 12 month minimum rental I could see it to be very appealing to some people.

They could offer a more expensive model for those who prefer to rent at $15 -20 per month with the option to opt in and out on a monthly basis with all current updates thrown in. That would surely be popular as well.

Slicing in the Sampler
Modulation receiver
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Biscotto wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:04 pm Modulation receiver
DC Offset?
Music tech enthusiast

I would like to see some sort Sononym with a mix of XLN Audio XO, Bitwig style within the browser,devices, instruments and grid. A serato sampler style mode in sampler up to 128 chops, New mixer with eq+ dynamics ,tool device and duel pan built in and a convolution/IR loader with all the extras.

Return to “Bitwig”