Toneboosters new plugins and updates

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
ChamomileShark
KVRAF
1855 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Post Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:08 am

Compressor 4 is I assume new? Also updates to various plugins including Reel bus

https://www.toneboosters.com/

fairlyclose
KVRian
819 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:25 am

Dual VCF looks interesting although having some trouble finding demo videos of bandpass filter and other properties being fully explored. Might not be worth it as I already have apQualizr 2 which i like a lot

codec_spurt
KVRAF
4184 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Just a little heads up for anyone going to buy this plugin.

I recently tried to find out if I qualified for the upgrade.

The notes for this are just impenetrable. So I bit the bullet and fired up my paypal.

Unfortunately, it did not take me to the site Jeroen said it would (as I understood it, I probably got it wrong), it just took the money out of my paypal account without asking.

I was given a 'You can review this order before buying' screen, but alas, it just stole the money out of my account. I was pretty pissed off.

I mailed Jeroen about it and he was good enough to get back to me pretty much straight away, telling me I could get a refund from the people that had charged me without my consent. Or was it paypal? No one really knows. There in lies the mystery. No one knows. Yet...

I kept the Compressor plugin. Lord knows I don't need it.

I didn't make a mistake over this. I really did get money taken out of my account when I was given the 'You can review your order before payment screen'.

Then again, I just got ripped by Amazon as well who signed me up to Prime for like the 5th f**king time when I didn't click on it. I had to cancel the order. Then they canceled the order I was making that relied on Prime. But they didn't and I got charged twice for it.

I guess it's just me and I'm just an arsehole and don't know how to use the internet. I suppose.

Alles klar.

I'm looking forward to trying out my new Compressor. Hell, I might even download it at some point. I still have about 3 or 4 Comps I've bought that I have still not even dl'd yet alone installed, or god forbid, used.

Anyway, just be careful with the payment system, even if it's paypal.

I've bought just about every single plugin by Toneboosters by the way, and I'd like to buy a few more that I don't have, but this payment system is a real mess.

jinotsuh
KVRist
484 posts since 31 May, 2008 from Australia

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:12 am

That was happening to me at either Plugin Boutique or Audio Deluxe (I think PB), I wanted to change Payment method, but no, all done and dusted. I looked into my PayPal account, and there was a setting something to do with automatic payments, and whatever site it was was listed, I just unchecked/deleted whatever the site and all was good. I may have inadvertently clicked something or left something checked or maybe something slip by me unawares rushing to get a new plug, but whatever it was taking the site out of the automatic payments fixed it.

fairlyclose
KVRian
819 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 am

codec_spurt wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:22 pm

I guess it's just me and I'm just an arsehole and don't know how to use the internet. I suppose.
or that part of the internet is designed to benefit someone other than people like you - somewhat akin to this possibly apocryphal quote
""Looking at life from a different perspective makes you realize that it's not the deer that is crossing the road, rather it's the road that is crossing the forest." - Muhammad Ali."

BerryLaCroix
KVRist
66 posts since 9 Apr, 2018

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm

jinotsuh wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:12 am
That was happening to me at either Plugin Boutique or Audio Deluxe (I think PB), I wanted to change Payment method, but no, all done and dusted. I looked into my PayPal account, and there was a setting something to do with automatic payments, and whatever site it was was listed, I just unchecked/deleted whatever the site and all was good. I may have inadvertently clicked something or left something checked or maybe something slip by me unawares rushing to get a new plug, but whatever it was taking the site out of the automatic payments fixed it.
Interesting, and good to know it seems a setting in Paypal and is unrelated to how plugin devs sell their stuff :-) I never had any issues like this (and I didn't change any Paypal settings... duh).

chk071
KVRAF
24879 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Hmm... I really don't understand the statements here. Paypal or any site doesn't charge you before you approve of the purchase again after having been redirected from the Paypal site. It never happened here, and I doubt that it would happen on any site.

And, what you see in your account are probably sites which you authorized to access your Paypal account, to make one click purchases (it's usually called "Save your payment details for future purchases" or something similar). It takes a bit more than that though, you definitely have to approve to that in your Paypal account.
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

codec_spurt
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Paypal or any site doesn't charge you before you approve of the purchase again after having been redirected from the Paypal site. It never happened here, and I doubt that it would happen on any site.

You would think so, and it's the first time it's ever happened to me, but no, they really did take money out of my account after displaying a 'YOU CAN REVIEW THIS ORDER BEFORE PAYMENT IS TAKEN' page.

They lied. They stole money out of my account. I was merely trying to find the really confusing payment page that Jeroen alluded to. I still don't even know if I was allowed the discount. I'm not going to haggle over this.

I just didn't expect this to happen.

It's fraud really.

If I wasn't ill I'd take it further. But I'll let it go as I've got bigger battles to fight.

Jeroen has been cool about it like I said - he informed me that I could get my money back. But he also admitted that he didn't know if this was a problem with paypal or his processor. No one ever knows in these circumstances. And therefore there is no one to blame or take responsibility. It's not a large amount of money. But sometimes that could make the difference of someone eating or not for the rest of the month. It's not right.

But it has been swept under the carpet and no further action taken.

It will happen to someone else at some point. I'm not special.

I was extremely careful about this one. I had absolutely no intention of buying this plugin. I did not want it. I did not need it. Even though I'm a big TB fan.

I merely wanted to know if I qualified for the discount, more for buying other plugins. Then the money was stolen from my account.

The first and only time this has ever happened. Hence me taking the time to make a post about it. It's not something I would put up unless I was a 100 percent sure.

No harm done.

But maybe the next person that they do this to will not be able to eat or will be unable to pay for medicine at the end of the month.

It's wrong and it should be sorted out what went wrong instead of people passing the buck.

Thanks for bringing it back to my attention chk071 - I did mean to make a complaint with paypal and I never did. But maybe now I will. It's either them or Jeroen's payment processor at fault for this. And I doubt paypal will ever be guilty of anything.

:tu:

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2990 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 pm

The vcf update now has an additional switch for steeper resonance .
I really like the 4 pole 80’s filter
Still pretty annoying the filters are serial routing only , and no way to turn of the limiter ( which introduces 3 ms of delay )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

djeroen
KVRist
270 posts since 14 Sep, 2006

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:00 pm

codec_spurt wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:50 pm
Paypal or any site doesn't charge you before you approve of the purchase again after having been redirected from the Paypal site. It never happened here, and I doubt that it would happen on any site.
Well not really. We've tried hard to replicate this issue but failed to do so. We haven't heard about other customers having this issue either - ever. In our tests there's always a confirmation step before a payment is made through Paypal - I'm not even sure one can transact anything without confirmation. It's sad to hear that this did not happen to you as it should! And as you mentioned we've offered the option for a refund right away.

lajosuti
KVRist
138 posts since 25 Jan, 2014

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:29 am

The external payment processors cannot purchase stuff using PayPal without the explicit consent given to PayPal itself by the account owner which is you. However if you gave authorization for fast payment or any fancy stuff within PayPal, that could request skipping parts of the purchase process for your convenience. This is a PayPal account setup issue.

HcDoom
KVRian
1244 posts since 18 Feb, 2012

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:36 pm

Will VCF have parallel update at some point or it will remain serial only?

codec_spurt
KVRAF

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:14 pm

djeroen wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:00 pm
codec_spurt wrote:
Well not really. We've tried hard to replicate this issue but failed to do so. We haven't heard about other customers having this issue either - ever. In our tests there's always a confirmation step before a payment is made through Paypal - I'm not even sure one can transact anything without confirmation. It's sad to hear that this did not happen to you as it should! And as you mentioned we've offered the option for a refund right away.
Hi Jeroen.

I really don't know what more to say.

I guess I am the prick here.

You are right.

And I am wrong.

Regarding 'tricking VPN's' as per our last email conversation, that was a bit of a low blow. I am not engaging in subterfuge or fraud, unlike you, who stole money out of my bank account without my permission. Well, at least your payment processor did. Paypal or not.

I get it. You feel as if you are under attack. You feel as if you have to defend yourself. This is your living after all. This is how you 'earn' your money.

I went in to detail to explain to you why this has never happened before, even though I 'trick' my VPN.

At this point I just think you are being deliberately obtuse and I don't think this is an argument I can really win. It wasn't meant to go this far. I've been a loyal customer of yours for many years. This was only meant as a 'heads up'. It wasn't meant to accuse you of actuating fraud.

I'll let the payment you took from me stand.

But by the same token, I will stand up in a court of law and accuse you (or your payment processor) of stealing money out of my account, explicitly unauthorised.

Needless to say, I won't be buying any more of your plugins. And I will also be advising others to avoid your company and payment processors, because they explicitly engage in electronic fraud. I've got more to lose than you do. So take that as far as you want.

You may want to take a leaf out of WilliamK's book and get someone to do the PR for you as you are obviously a talented 'Coder', but your 'personal relations' leave a little to be desired.

As if I care about 20 bucks on yet another compressor...

djeroen
KVRist

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:42 pm

lajosuti wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:29 am
The external payment processors cannot purchase stuff using PayPal without the explicit consent given to PayPal itself by the account owner which is you. However if you gave authorization for fast payment or any fancy stuff within PayPal, that could request skipping parts of the purchase process for your convenience. This is a PayPal account setup issue.
Yes it is likely there's some Paypal setup issue happening here. We've followed up with our payment processor and they gave the same response.

djeroen
KVRist

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:49 pm

codec_spurt wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:14 pm
djeroen wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:00 pm
codec_spurt wrote:
Look we're very sorry that this happened; it's something beyond our own control as it is an interaction between paypal and an external payment processor. We've immediately offered a refund to correct this. We've also followed up with the payment processor and likely it has to do with how Paypal was set up in your account (see similar explanations above). That said, the suggestion was to take this up with Paypal and let them explain how a payment got authorized without your explicit consent. They will have audit trails to see what happened. We'd be happy to help out in this process but we are just the 3rd party here unfortunately. Hope this helps!

Return to “Effects”