So I bought Trueno synth.. And here's the review!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's not working? It was a real shot in the dark trying to set it up at my end. It doesn't show up as a recognizable system device. I had to open the software and click the usb button in the bottom left to get it to connect. It might be the same for you?

Nah, the VST2 doesn’t even appear as an available plugin in Live 9.7.7 or 10.1 on Mac OS X 10.14 on MY system, but the developer said it’s working on his 10.1 Mac OS 10.14.

Thing is, I only have 10.1 Lite, my main DAW is 9.7.7.

Now the VST3 DOES appear, but I can’t adjust the filter cutoff - it snaps to zero / full cut the instant I attempt to adjust it.

Weird.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm Nah, the VST2 doesn’t even appear as an available plugin in Live 9.7.7 or 10.1 on Mac OS X 10.14 on MY system, but the developer said it’s working on his 10.1 Mac OS 10.14.

Thing is, I only have 10.1 Lite, my main DAW is 9.7.7.

Now the VST3 DOES appear, but I can’t adjust the filter cutoff - it snaps to zero / full cut the instant I attempt to adjust it.

Weird.
Is there a standalone too?

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:41 pm Hey all - I received the Trueno but for some reason neither the AU not the VST show up in Ableton. Restarted machine, nothing. Any ideas?
Maybe it got installed in the wrong vst directory. For me, the Trueno installer installed it in "...cakawalk/vst plugins" which is not the plugin folder I use in Ableton Live. I had to manually copy and paste the .dll plugin from there to the right folder... Hope this helps!

I was able to choose where to install.

But good point.. How about standalone does it work?

And vst3 is a mess on my pc too (when using abledon't)

VST3 should install to same common files folder on pc. Mine do
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

focusrite wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:59 pmIs there a standalone too?
Yes, there is and running it might reveal if the problem is with Trueno or somewhere else.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I’ll check out the stand-alone when I get home.

Hey, has anyone tried to render Trueno's output? I've tried twice today, first time I've needed to, and what comes out in the rendered .wav file is completely different to what I here in Orion when I play the song.

You can hear it here - http://novakill.com/stuff/OberheimTEST.mp3

It's the last synth to play, so skip to 2:05 to hear it, but it should sound kind of like the others all do. Is this what happens to everyone?

EDIT: It's even worse in Cubase - I get no sound at all. Of course, with Cubase there may be some setting I need to change to get it to work but in Orion I treat it like any other plugin and at least I get something.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Anybody?

So I might've been tempted to pick up one of these, because at that price why not, but having read this review -> https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ws-audio-trueno , er, nope.

That's one hell of a lot of awful issues, and well, there might be even more.

Anyone know if there are similarly cheap hardware synths that don't suck quite so much? Thanks.

I read that review before I bought mine and I saw nothing to make me think twice. On the contrary, the overall tone is one of exuberance and excitement at what Trueno has to offer and, while he mentions a couple of minor issues, there is nothing in it that even approaches showstopper status. Honestly, I can't imagine how you can read it and not think Trueno is awesome.

Mine lives in the right-side USB port on my laptop and it doesn't block any of the other ports. I have no latency issues and I've not experienced a real problem in what must be around 18 months of ownership. It's an amazing synth that is very easy to use. I'm not a fan of the bright GUI but in terms of functionality, it's hard to beat.

As to the issue I was having, it turns out you have to pre-render Trueno because it is unable to work at faster than realtime, so won't render with the rest of a project. This makes perfect sense to me and is something I should have realised for myself. Trueno has it's own recording function so you can do it all inside the plugin, which is nice. So the problem turned out to be my problem, not Trueno's.

There's a part in the review where they don't make it clear that you can use it like any normal VST (except only realtime audio rendering) where they talk about exporting .wav files, then having to import them back into the DAW etc. That makes the whole process seem more convoluted than it apparently is.
Last edited by AdvancedFollower on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yeah, you can "record" Trueno's output by arming recording in the VSTi and then playing the part through. I'm going to give it a go over the weekend so I'll report back on how it goes.

OK, so I've just been doing some rendering with Trueno and it works exactly as advertised. It feels a bit dodgy - you have to manually type in a folder address for it to record into (no copy/paste, I'm afraid) and you then have to drop the rendered audio into an audio track - but it works.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”