The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:30 am
rotku60 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:28 am Never Never Seen Me. Great tune. Disco or not. It helps to have to the Vocaloid singers, perfect. Listened several times, can't find any issues, very very catchy.
Thanks. Lots of people won't even listen to a track with Vocaloid singers. I think, in certain applications, they're appropriate. This is one of those times.
yup, id totally agree, some places they can work. some genres dont require realism, as mentioned on the first track, this is where you can go all vocoder/vocaloid :tu:

listen later :)

4th track from my upcoming CD "Disco Everywhere"

This one I just plain took the piss with. A lighthearted poke at The Ohio Players and another "disco flavored" track. The next track will be more classic disco. But I had to do this one. Obviously, not to be taken seriously at all. :lol:

Funky Disco Me

Well, well
Oh yeah, I am funky
You think I'm not
Well I'm gonna show you
Just what I got

I'm cool yes I am boy
I got all the moves
This song she is funky
She's got all the grooves

Are you ready for the chorus
It's real funky you will see
Are you ready for the chorus
It's the real funky me

Funky disco me
I know you don't believe
Funky disco me
What a tangled web we weave

Instrumental Break

You wonder how I did this
It's a mystery
You wonder how I did this
Just wait and you will see

I'm a wiz at the funky
I'm a wiz at it all
If you are a music junky
All you have to do is call

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/funky-disco-me

Sounds like disco, except the harmonies (which disco people are not likely to stand for). The reverb particularly, sounds like that Lexicon shite everybody thinks is fantastic except me. I think you nailed the 'orchestra hits' or whatever they're called as well.

jancivil wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:05 pm Sounds like disco, except the harmonies (which disco people are not likely to stand for). The reverb particularly, sounds like that Lexicon shite everybody thinks is fantastic except me. I think you nailed the 'orchestra hits' or whatever they're called as well.
LMAO. Jan, I can always count on you for an honest critique.

As for the reverb, it's not Lexicon but I guess it could be a derivative of one. I don't really keep up with that stuff.

The orchestra hits, if I'm not mistaken as far as what you're referring to, are made with 8Dio's Intimate Strings disco articulations which I have found to be about the best for the genre.

The song itself is really more disco flavored but my next track will be more traditional. This one was just something I was compelled to do.

Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

PS - Reverbs Used

Valhalla Vintage Reverb
VSL MIR Sound Stage Emulation

Yeah, Valhalla Vintage. AFAICT he's totally going for the Lexicon sound.

Did you get the full MIR or the 24? I still see the things I demoed in "My VSL" software downloads.
I demoed MIR Pro 24 enough times... Still a bit expensive for me.

jancivil wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 pm Yeah, Valhalla Vintage. AFAICT he's totally going for the Lexicon sound.

Did you get the full MIR or the 24? I still see the things I demoed in "My VSL" software downloads.
I demoed MIR Pro 24 enough times... Still a bit expensive for me.
I got the full MIR with quite a few rooms, halls and mystical spaces, which are absolutely incredible. Unfortunately, unsuitable for this project. Maybe when I do an ambient project one day.

5th track from my upcoming CD "Disco Everywhere"

Returning to traditional, classic disco, this one is totally over the top. IMO, probably one of the greatest productions I've ever come up with. But I'll let you be the judge.

Wrote this one for my wife. Partially explains why it came out so good.

Once In My Lifetime

And so I've waited forever girl
And then you dropped into my dull world
Cookies and cream
You were just like a dream
Turned me from jester to earl

Well here we are love
You and me living the good life
Nothing can top this
Having you with me as my wife
And I know one thing it's something
I'll not take for granted
Once in my lifetime

I can't believe it but it's true
I never thought I'd ever find you
Blissful serene
You were just like a dream
Never again will be blue

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... y-lifetime

Once...
Loved the intro, nice old school disco vibe.
Brass (trumpets) were nice. 1:08 good solo.
2:12 great, like it.
A funkier bass line might have been nice. I just bought Toontrack's EZBass, that has some good disco & funk basslines in there. Its just quick and easy to create a good bass line in that thing.

Bansaw wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:07 pm Once...
Loved the intro, nice old school disco vibe.
Brass (trumpets) were nice. 1:08 good solo.
2:12 great, like it.
A funkier bass line might have been nice. I just bought Toontrack's EZBass, that has some good disco & funk basslines in there. Its just quick and easy to create a good bass line in that thing.
The arrangement was complex enough as it was. I didn't want to complicate it any more. So I kept the bass line simple. I'm not sure a "funkier" one would have worked with the complex chord progression throughout. To much conflicting dissonance with how quick those chords were changing in some parts would have been, well, just that, too much dissonance, especially with the addition of the celli on the bass line. That would have thrown the whole thing out of whack. Trust me, it would have sounded like crap.

Anyway, thanks for the listen and the feedback.

I like the sounds, reminds me of an old fighter game for some reason I can’t place, maybe Streets Of Rage?
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:57 pm I like the sounds, reminds me of an old fighter game for some reason I can’t place, maybe Streets Of Rage?
I have been playing video games since the mid 70s and I have never heard a game soundtrack that sounded like a disco song, let alone anything that sounded like this.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

wagtunes,
Thank you for the reviews! Now: "Once in My Lifetime (not quite Talking Heads; I said that due to the song title)": I actually like a number of disco songs. Your strings and sax sound really good! Overall audio quality, piano, and drums sound very good. All of the melodies are nice per usual. I would imagine your wife appreciated the nice lyrics. Nice job! :). Oh, BTW, IK finally released Joe Satriani from wherever they were holding him. ;) I used the trial version (good for 3 days) to record some punk-ish rhythm guitar strangely enough. I decided that hopefully I'd like IK Brian May better overall; so I bought that instead. Now my IK Modo Bass works (I unwittingly bought the Crossover version) that I bought over 4 months ago.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

wag tunes,
Back for seconds! Now listening to "Jazzin Disco": strings and piano sound very nice! I hear a very nice sax, and maybe a clarinet, or alto sax? The song title reminds me of "Disco Jazz" (actually it is "Dazz" by Brick, but they keep saying Disco Jazz): the funk compilation CD I have it on says that song is neither disco or jazz. Very nice! Nice melodies!
Last edited by aaron aardvark on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:55 pm 4th track from my upcoming CD "Disco Everywhere"

This one I just plain took the piss with. A lighthearted poke at The Ohio Players and another "disco flavored" track. The next track will be more classic disco. But I had to do this one. Obviously, not to be taken seriously at all. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/funky-disco-me
i kind of crossover ween (music), captain beefheart (vocals) interpreting, or digesting the disco.
me like. had fun, and i liked it.

aaron aardvark wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:03 am wag tunes,
Back for seconds! Now listening to "Jazzin Disco": strings and piano sound very nice! I hear a very nice sax, and maybe a clarinet, or alto sax? The song title reminds me of "Disco Jazz": the funk compilation CD I have it on says that song is neither disco or jazz. Very nice! Nice melodies!
Thanks for the feedback and the info on IK. I have Brian May, you'll love it.

Return to “Music Cafe”