Waldorf Largo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo

I have always really liked the sound of the Blofeld but have never really got on that well with the interface.

Tried a couple of software editors with mixed results but I'm more than happy to switch to Largo. Thankfully some kind soul has offered to sell their license so I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Are there any 3rd party patches I should look out for? I wish the Dan Solaris soundset was compatible

First impressions are this is a very powerful synth both in terms of sound and ability. Quite easy to program and get good results from.

On the downside I am struggling to get to grips with the patch management system, even after reading the manual. Seems like a bit of a pig in that respect but I'm sure I'll work it out.

I haven't a/b against my Blofeld but tbh I don't want to, it's got enough of the same character and it sounds great, without the hassles associated with that particular piece of hardware.

11 years late to the party but glad I got here!

it will be really nice surprise if they release Largo II :):):)

Something I’ve noticed using Largo is how critical gainstaging is. I know it’s something you need to be concerned about as a general rule, but it seems to matter to Largo in a much greater degree than I’m accustomed to. It’s tempting to drive every section as hard as possible, but it really deadens and flattens the sound in short order. A lot of the presets are guilty of this I’ve noticed. I try to back off the Osc outputs and of needed save the hard driving for the filter drive sections.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 am it will be really nice surprise if they release Largo II :):):)
I'd rather see the current one updated, and have some bugs fixed, and missing features included.

masterhiggins wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:39 pm Something I’ve noticed using Largo is how critical gainstaging is. I know it’s something you need to be concerned about as a general rule, but it seems to matter to Largo in a much greater degree than I’m accustomed to. It’s tempting to drive every section as hard as possible, but it really deadens and flattens the sound in short order. A lot of the presets are guilty of this I’ve noticed. I try to back off the Osc outputs and of needed save the hard driving for the filter drive sections.
Thanks for the tip :tu:

felis wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:17 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 am it will be really nice surprise if they release Largo II :):):)
I'd rather see the current one updated, and have some bugs fixed, and missing features included.
Yeah but if we make list with all users wishes Christmas will be soon :)
Personally i will be more happy if something new is released ,they have powerful new hardware synths,some vst replica or alternative maybe :)

this synth is so promising,how is so underrated,especially with 4 layers internal power,when have more time definitely will do something with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56zvioApeLw

masterhiggins wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:39 pm Something I’ve noticed using Largo is how critical gainstaging is. I know it’s something you need to be concerned about as a general rule, but it seems to matter to Largo in a much greater degree than I’m accustomed to. It’s tempting to drive every section as hard as possible, but it really deadens and flattens the sound in short order. A lot of the presets are guilty of this I’ve noticed. I try to back off the Osc outputs and of needed save the hard driving for the filter drive sections.
I'm going to keep that in mind when I play with it more. I have always found most of the factory patches to be pretty lifeless sounding. I always have thought that filters are great though, so I figured the oscillators are not really to my liking. But maybe what you've brought up here is what I'm seeing/hearing. I picked it up recently because it was dirt cheap but haven't dug in properly.

I do hope they update their interfaces - This and the PPG. I find it odd that they already created VST3 versions, but didn't give these products a resizable interface.

My complains are only about fx section so far,will dig deeper soon but it has this amazing post modern sound i was looking for and that's what makes me buy it aside from the historical discount :)Cheers :)

The filters section on Largo is excellent. The comb filter is pure fun. The oscillators/wavetables have a pure digital Waldorf sound. Some pretty basic programming advice:

-Gain staging is important when the drive is engaged as you say. Sometimes the total volume output is too low even when maxed. One way to get extra gain is to use the Matrix to extend the volume range. E.g. set modifier's 4 constant value +63 and map modifier 4 to volume.

-Even with the filters off, the drive section is still engaged, so if you have non-zero drive the signal is still amplified/waveshaped. In other words, the Drive section is independent of the filter.

-For poly sounds to sound slightly more fat/analog, use "Voice num" (or any of the rounding variants) on the matrix to modulate pitch (either global or for one oscillator) and pan. You can also add Noise as a FM source and assign a relatively low value (around 4-6).

-When doing wavetable sweeps, many times you want to have the limit feature ON, so the wavetable doesn't sweep to the "classic" waveforms on the last slots.

:tu:

My biggest complaint on this synth is the same one as on Attack, the parameters are integers from 0 to 128, to map MIDI I guess, so sometimes sweet spots lie between 3/5 values. It would be nice to have some decimals to make fine adjustments.

I recently did a clean install of Windows on a new SSD. I did clean reinstalls of my all plugins and DAWs now. But for some reason Waldorf Largo now causes DAW crashes. Loading It up causes an immediate crash in Cubase and it crashes Reason when opening up the browser.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Can anyone confirm that the phase retriggering for the LFO's doesn't work? They always seem to be free running, no matter what I dial in as a static phase position...

Also, more of an academic question... I always noticed that the sample & hold waveform of the LFO's is a bit softer, less steppy than in other soft synths (hear the sound example - first 4 bars is Largo, the second is Sylenth1). Is that a Waldorf thing? Do their other synths have that as well?

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/largo-sylenth1-s-h

Return to “Instruments”